UMO+ Fan Duct Orientation and Attachment (Plus build wiki rant)

coolal

Posted · UMO+ Fan Duct Orientation and Attachment (Plus build wiki rant)

Hi guys, finally made it to the part where I'm installing the fan duct on my new UMO+.

Well... the extra long thumb screws are JUST long enough to grab the aluminum plate with 4 holes. However, they don't stick out an extra cm or so like the pictures. Additionally, the orientation of the heater core 90 degree tab is swapped in pictures. Early on it exists the heater block and goes to the left. Then a few pictures later the heater blocked is turned and the heater cord is on the opposite side. Seeing as how I just set it in place with a M3 bolt, I don't know how that changes. Then even further along they switch the hole that was used to route the cables from the heater block.

There is no thread left to install the fan duct. The extra long thumb screws bottom out on the aluminum plate. Additionally, the 4 holes for the fan attachment (on the metal duct) are different. Two are smaller and look like they could thread onto m2 bolts. The larger holes look to be m4 or larger. Basically, the M3 screws are useless and even if they fit, i couldn't thread into the aluminum plate.

Based on product shots, I know the fan should hang to the left of the nozzle. But, I'm not sure how to mount it in that orientation.

Lastly, for the Ultimaker team members on the board

Is there are clear reason why the Ultimaker build wiki hasn't been updated to reflect the product you currently sell?

Is this a case of just not caring because it's "good enough"? Or just passing the buck from department to department (ex. I'm R&D or a moderator but not in charge of the wiki)? There are comments about the steps being inaccurate and out of order that are over two years old (and right at the bottom of the page). Yet the errors they reference are still there. Additionally, you've been selling the Ultimaker Original Plus for nearly a year yet have ZERO reference to it in the instruction.

It's a wiki. It takes minutes to edit and rearrange directions. Perhaps hours if you factor in taking new pictures.

I consider myself excellent at following build directions. But, to be plain, the current build wiki is rather poorly managed and I can't understand why.

Is it so hard to update it? I'm sure some of us would do it for free because you can't sell a kit product with incomplete directions. It's just bad business. I can't be the first who was annoyed by this... I'm just curious why a company with such a great product and a wonderful community can so blatantly not care about a build wiki that is THE OFFICIAL reference for builders.

Thanks,

Alex

I couldn't read your bold part but the fan cap screws with 2 m3 4-6mm and 2 m3 12-14mm from the lower part of the aluminium.

It's well explained on the umo+ assembly manual.

image.thumb.jpg.62acdbc2ab06dade8720387373b06a12.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.62acdbc2ab06dade8720387373b06a12.jpg

Thanks for the link! The box had a page of stickers, a booklet of artistic prints, and an ad for 3dhubs. No manual, no packing list, no quick start guide, or any indication of a proper build manual or a link to one.

Googling ultimaker assembly yields the wiki first and foremost.

The UMO+ assembly manual is a lifesaver! I just wish I had that from the beginning or at least a post card in the box that says to stop and download it first thing.

Thanks again guys,

Alex

• Like 1

The extruder head is finally together! The PDF assembly manual is 100x better than the wiki. Now i know why I couldn't figure out how Ultimaker was happy with that wiki. There was a much better PDF that completely superceded it. If only they plastered links to it on their product page, in the box, and on the wiki.

Thanks again to the community. Feeling a lot better now!

Posted (edited) · UMO+ Fan Duct Orientation and Attachment (Plus build wiki rant)

I have an annotated and corrected version of the manual here that I use in the UMO+ Build workshops that I run. I will upload my V2.3 noted manual soon. I agree it would be nice if the manual was updated and accurate.

see this post for link to manual

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10704-umo-assembly-instruction-v2-corrections#reply-101604

looks like the URL did not work going to the relpy I wanted but goes to the top , here is the link

dropbox link to PDF

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1