ABS Filament Jammed in the Feeder - Image

GreenMachine01

Posted · ABS Filament Jammed in the Feeder - Image

Try removing the bowden tube by removing the little blue horse shoe, then press down on the white coupler and pull the tube out.

But considering how much ABS dust there is in there I would just go ahead and remove the feeder completely so you can clean it out. To do that you have to remove the white cover that hides the motors on the inside. There's two screws that hold it in, one on the side and one on the back.

When that's gone, unscrew the four screws of the feeder, but grab hold of the feeder motor before you remove the last one as that's all that's keeping it there. The feeder will fall apart and you'll be able to clean it out (keep an eye out for the little metal grommet, where the filament enters, it has a tendency to hide in rugs :) ). Then just reverse the operation.

• Like 2

Thanks for that.

I was kinda hoping there was a 'filament jam release and clean button' somewhere :).

Any ideas what causes this chewing of the filament. I am basically working with factory settings and have done about 4 prints so it is a brand new printer!

Cheers

Posted (edited) · ABS Filament Jammed in the Feeder - Image

you most likely have a blocked nozzle, do some atomic pulls. i personally wouldnt worry too much about the dust inside too much if you dont feel like taking it apart, although i would take it apart just to get used to messing with the printer in general. dont be afraid. its one of the main reasons i bought this and not the lame closed source makerbot. which would be doomed at this point.

like robert said, just pop the blue thing out and push down on the white thing and yank the tube out. then i just get an air duster can to spray air inside clearing out any dust. i can see little bit of filament in mine after several grindfests but i saw it doesnt interfere with taking in new filament so it doesnt matter at all. usually a couple of jets of air from the can clears everything. id recommend a little spray down the bowden tube as well to clear anything out just incase there is a lot of fine dust in there.

just make sure everything is kept clear and clean. i seriously doubt you need to take anything apart. this happened to me all the time. i only took it apart once. it made me feel better knowing the muck buildup was gone, but that as before i used the keyboard air duster can to clear it. it comes with a long straw that you can direct i to the tubes and the feeder t blow any loose bits away.

Edited by Guest

Thank you so much for the advice. I have resolved the issue now. I opened the feeder to free the filament which I was initially concerned about but in fact it was very straight forward. I followed Robert's advice and got a link from support : http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/39-feeder-disassembly which was useful as it illustrated clearly the inside of the feeder before taking it apart.

In my case the under extrusion initially seemed to be caused by the temperature being too high which resulted in a blocked nozzle. The grinding of the filament by the gripper wheel may have been caused by the wheel being set at too low a pressure (? I am being very unscientific here :-)) Apparently in models after 2015 the white indicator on the feeder should be set somewhere in the center; mine was set at the top. After reading through the support info there could be many other reasons for this (e.g. the temperature, base plate adjustment, etc.) so will have to keep an eye on a few settings.

Anyway thanks for your generosity; its much appreciated!

if the problem persists you can also take a look here ;)

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17343-howto-flowchart-umo-extrusion-problems

thanks for that.

• Like 1