Printing via USB cable

ivan-lipunov

Posted · Printing via USB cable

Hi, folks!

In the current version of CURA has the ability to print directly via usb connection. During several attempts my UM2 was acting a little strange: after pressing the button in the program screen, the unit heads start trying to print at once in the air, without warm-up, the Z axis was not involved. Is the latest firmware update, the latest version of CURA. What could be the problem? Some sort of malfunction in the printer or a direct print module is not yet fully functional?

Does printing via USB have any advantages? I really don't see any point in it, printing from card works perfectly, and with the benefit that i can turn my computer off and leave the printer running, and not have it in the same room as well.

I wouldn't think so...I know the laptops I have had in the past, if not configured to stay awake (not hibernate), one of the items it will power off is the USB ports. Which would be a disaster for a print!

I guess if it sent the file to the SD card via USB could help eliminate that issue.

I think the main benefit is for raspberry pi users.

Posted (edited) · Printing via USB cable

Im sure they could make some sort of sd card hack that has wires coming out of the back of the card plugged into the rasberry pi somehow, maybe a sd card to usb hack cable, then they could just update it via the internet and when the ultimaker read the card it would be there. but then again i have no idea about this stuff. But i cant see it being totally impossibe.

Just checked and you seem to be able to buy sd to usb memory cards, would that solve it? Plug the usb in the pi and sd in the card reader. No need for usb on the um?

Edited by Guest

I had the same problem as the OP the first time I ran and setup 15.09.80 on my UMO. Once I restarted Cura it printed as expected.

I must have 2000+ hours on my printer and maybe 30 minutes of that was printing from SD. I didn't have an UltiController for the first couple months so it's what I got used to. When using blue tape it often got torn up and I'd have to move parts around to find a clean spot to print. Now I have a similar issue with Kapton tape, though it is far better than blue tape imo. My computers are also on 24/7 behind a UPS.

with regard to the primary question:

I've never printed via usb, but it seems that you are trying to print without a proper start-/end gcode. I don't know how usb printing is handled by the new Cura, @nallath should be the insider... :)

For example: the gcode flavor "UltiGCode" is only useful if you print from the sdcard.

Maybe that could be an explanation?

I only print with USB (MacMini)

the main advantages for me are, not to have the printer in the same room,

being able to use a webcam to see whats going on, and remote control the printer and Cura.

and with apps I can also watch and control the printer from my iPad or iPhone anywhere I am.

Posted (edited) · Printing via USB cable

with regard to the primary question:

I've never printed via usb, but it seems that you are trying to print without a proper start-/end gcode. I don't know how usb printing is handled by the new Cura, @nallath should be the insider... :)

For example: the gcode flavor "UltiGCode" is only useful if you print from the sdcard.

Maybe that could be an explanation?

i.e. it should create the g-code into the stable version of CURA, and upload it via the beta? Is there a plugin for printing via USB in version 15.x.x.?

Edited by Guest

Is it not possible to plug in a card like this into the sd port of the printer and the other end into the rasberry pi, skipping out the need to use the usb port on the Ultimaker? but i guess how will you control it? ethernet port in the future?

tf-to-sd-usb-flash-adapter-kit-01-2gb_01.thumb.jpg.a27abd7a533145a5fa352f9a72865190.jpg

But to tell you the truth with all the setup up you need to make sure is correct, I think remotely printing anything is a bad idea all together as you are helpless if anything goes even slightly not the way you expect, as it tends to happen, this technology still needs such close monitoring that I see remote printing as a total waste of time.

Is it not possible to plug in a card like this into the sd port of the printer and the other end into the rasberry pi, skipping out the need to use the usb port on the Ultimaker? but i guess how will you control it? ethernet port in the future?

tf-to-sd-usb-flash-adapter-kit-01-2gb_01.thumb.jpg.a27abd7a533145a5fa352f9a72865190.jpg

But to tell you the truth with all the setup up you need to make sure is correct, I think remotely printing anything is a bad idea all together as you are helpless if anything goes even slightly not the way you expect, as it tends to happen, this technology still needs such close monitoring that I see remote printing as a total waste of time.

Hmm... These adapters are compatible with the UM2? In the absence of native support for printing via usb it would be a good compromise

i.e. it should create the g-code into the stable version of CURA, and upload it via the beta? Is there a plugin for printing via USB in version 15.x.x.?

The usb print plugin is packaged with Cura by default. The new version of cura should be perfectly capable of generating g-code. If not, file bug reports so we can fix it.

The usb print plugin is packaged with Cura by default. The new version of cura should be perfectly capable of generating g-code. If not, file bug reports so we can fix it.

Where in 15.04 i can enable a usb-printing? I see a folder with plugin, but can't understand how to work with them.

15.04 has it automatically. The 15.04 doesn't have a plugin system as extensive as 15.06>