Throw away your short belts - direct drive.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Throw away your short belts - direct drive.

I am not sure if you all have seen my build thread, but I am just now assembling an Ulti from scratch and sourcing all the parts myself. Would this mod be a good idea for someone like me that is so new with the build and functioning of the Ulti? My shafts are long enough, as I am going to have to cut them anyway. All I will have to purchase extra is the couplers but I won't have to purchase the pulleys or the short belts. What do you all think?

If I was building an Ultimaker from scratch, I'd modify the laser-cut wood templates I'd probably move the slots for mounting the extruder motor to the left side and leave some extra material for mounting the motor stand-offs.

If I was building an Ultimaker from scratch, I'd modify the laser-cut wood templates I'd probably move the slots for mounting the extruder motor to the left side and leave some extra material for mounting the motor stand-offs.

I already have the laser cut parts. I am using laser cut parts from a place here in the states but just curious if I should make this mod or is it going to cause a new person any headaches by doing so? I can't see a down side to doing it myself that is why I am asking.

Okay thanks, yeah the only downside is maybe the looks and knocking the motors around if I move it, neither of which I care about. With that said, I think I will proceed with the original build then make the mods once I am comfortable with how the printer is supposed to work. The rods for the 8mm axis aren't that expensive for me so nothing really lost there. I would like to see your pics though Cora. I like the idea of mounting on the back.

I've uploaded a photo of the Y-axis motor.

Based on Calum's motor bracket I designed a new one that fit the larger couplers I use much better. The design is a bit 'easy' in a manner of speaking, but I was lazy again. 8-) I'll redesign the bracket later and can provide the STL then if you want.

For those of you with heatsinks and fans on your stepper motors, does the placement of the heatsink make much difference ? I'm wondering if the fan/sink could be placed on top of the motor, rather then the back-end, just to keep this whole assembly from getting overly long. Since the sides are flush with the ends, I don't see any decrease in surface contact, it might even help keep the shaft/mounting side a bit cooler ?

Thanks for the pictures. I like the addition of a countersunk screw hole at the end of the extension.

Well, at least the stepper motors I found in my kit are NOT flat at the sides but are slightly rounded which makes it a bad idea to place there the heatsinks. The back of my motors are totally flat and from the ideal size to put a 40x40 mm heatsink + fan to them.

Although the motors are placed at the back of this setup the cooling performance is so strong (running the fans at 12 V) that neither the motors nor couplers nor rods are getting hot or even warm. They stay cool the whole time even at long (or very long) prints.

So, to summarize: At least for me my setup works. But if you have different equipment/parts it might not.

Sorry to get off topic, but did you find a decent thermal tape, or did you go with a thermal epoxy to stick them on. I had some generic double sided thermal tape that fell off on the first long print.

Got my new linear rods and the double-grub screw style couplers from china, but after reading all the posts, I've ordered up some of the clamshell type couplers.

I used double sided thermal pads from this company and they stick like hell. So no problems here with fans falling off. I'm not sure if you get these in the US, but I wouldn't recommend the pads from 3M as with these many people reported problems.

Its why I recommend the "AKASA AK-210" chipset cooler fan kit. The fan comes with the heatsink AND the thermal

pad all attached. It costs 15 Euros for everything...so its a no brainer really.

So no cable-ties or other stuff needed.

C.

I already had the heatsinks here so I needed only a few fans and thermal pads which was the cheaper way for me.

I finally made my direct drive parts. I went a different path though and lasercut them. I have no time to test today unfortunately, but I will post results and files during the weekend. But they are looking nice! (thingiverse page)

If you are going to take this -modify it- then post it advertised as all your own work somewhere...I would

appreciate perhaps a mention in the text.......

Yikes, you are absolutely right!!! I'm sorry but it really wasn't intentional. I was just super-excited about how cool it looked and snapped a pic an uploaded it without much thinking. (In my defense I'd been working for 20 hours straight at that moment so I wasn't really capable of thinking at all). In the more elaborate description and instructions I am currently preparing, you are of course mentioned in several places and your design as the main inspiration for my own. But that doesn't of course negate the fact that I did what you said. I will update this description accordingly too, just to set things straight.

Once again, I apologize, normally I am not one to skip credit where credit is due.

No hard feelings, I hope. :)

Cheers,

Chopmeister

No problem,

Im not going to get all "closed source" on this.

But open source...doesnt mean "no source"...haha

C.

Hi Snowygrouch,

I think perhaps because of the forum change, I can't find the stl of your brackets. Could you possibly upload again or let me know where I can find it?

Much appreciated.

Andrew

my website has all the info, assy instructions, parts list & the STL.

Ok. Ive made my mind, when a colleage showed me some stuff on a webshop, and they had the axels in the same diameter.

they are listed as "Centerless akselstål i kvalitet SS1672 8mm."

Im hoping they are good.

Anyway ive already went to ebay to get the couplers you linked.

Hopefullt i get them within reasonable time.

Im looking forward to do this mod, as the short belts are a pita to get perfect.

And when converting into a heated chamber, the steppers are outside of the warmth.

When i get stuff il make some pictures.

Got it. Thanks!

I'll let you know how it goes.

The new forum sucks. Where are all my posts in this thread and in others???

I had around 30 posts.

@snowygrouch:

I'm finishing up the instructions and description for my version of the direct drive. Since yours isn't available on thingiverse do you think it would be okay to have a link to your site there so people can easily have a look at the printed version too?

Cheers,

chopmeister

Hi Chop,

Yes you can put my website address in the post on Thingiverse.

Regards

C.

Back to reversing the stepper, have you tried using negative steps/mm? As in:

M92 X-78

It could work and does not mess with the wiring.