Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jeex

3D Solex changeable nozzle

After printing with the standard 0.4 nozzle and Carls (http://3dsolex.com/) changeable nozzles (0.4 and 0.6) i must get two things of my chest:

1. Why does UM not put the changeable nozzle standard on all UM's? Changing the 3Dsolex nozzle is a piece of cake and different nozzles give different results and advantages. When the nozzle is ruined by bamboo (frustration...) or another experiment, you simply change the nozzle in a minute.
  2. Nozzle 0.6 really rules. A 0.6 shell is solid enough, so one 0.6 shell layer is enough. With 0.4 nozzle you print a 0.8 shel, so you print the shell twice. With 0.6 that is just once and that saves some filament and loads of time. In normal print work i do not see the difference with 0.4

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

While a changeable nozzle system is certainly desired on a FDM printer, I understand why UM is not stressing too much on changing the hotend.

First, they might have a significant number of heater blocks / hotend of the current design on stock. Second, changing these parts might make it necessary to repeat some offical tests like EMC which is ususally quite some money.

• Like 1

I bet they are working hard to make the next think. I hope that they make this ideas and many others a reality and that they don't forget umo machines releasing upgrades for it too , specially a new extruder or better fan setups (yeah you can mod it but if you break it it's a mess and with good air flow calculations from guys that know how to make stuff it would really rock).