African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

kelechi

Posted · African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

We are running a community print service and we are currently using an ultimaker. We are committed to developing the 3D printing market in Africa and we will invite you to be a part of this journey. Follow this topic for updates.

• Like 2

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @Kelechi,

Thank you for your post, and welcome to the community!

Sounds very exciting.

Are you registered to 3D Hubs or are you setting up a service yourself?

What kind of things are you producing?

I don't know exactly where you are located in Africa, but Trobok is (also) from South Africa. A very talented designer who makes cool stuff.

Oh thanks @SandervG,

We are setting up a service all by ourselves. We produce all designs in PLA and ABS. We are modelling after shapeways and thanks for the information about Trobok, we are currently looking for terrific talents. We even planing shows and events to get people aware of 3D printing here and encourage them to develop 3D design skills.

We are currently based in Enugu state in the East of Nigeria.

The ultimaker 2 currently gives me all the details I want. Before I bought one I also did a check with toptenreviews and ultimaker was top so I can suggest you get an ultimaker. Are you in Africa? The challenge having an ultimaker in Africa is there is no support here and Europe is far to always get parts from. You will need to be very maintenace savvy. The excitement on 3D printing is getting on as I observed from my online and offline marketing shows however no 3D printer company is focusing here. From my observation so far, the market will be for middle range 3D printers and cost and shipping will have to be worked on. For now, we are offering to print designs for people using our ultimaker. When I can get another ultimaker2 to use for demonstrations, I will then start doing demonstrations in schools and offices.

There are a few easy ways:

- print separate parts and glue them.

- design so the different colors are only full layers, so in between printing pauze the print, change filament, and restart. For controlled pauze use the "pauze at Z" plugin for cura (till 15.4) It's easier if you use a feeder you can open for manual pull/push of the filament, like |roberts| feeder or one of many others.

- paint the model

Or you go the complicated route, but it's not a stable solution, more an experiment:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/10657-a-different-multi-extrusion-approach-um-tool-printhead-changer

• Like 2

Separate parts are the way to go for best quality. You should design in a peg/slot and just glue that part and it'll hold well.

Super glue works great for PLA But it has to have enough surface area to stick well. I find it takes slightly longer to bond PLA than some other plastics. Also, some super glues come in a gel form which is a lot more forgiving than regular superglue.

• Like 1

and I noticed the glue should not be too old, no idea how long you can store it after first use, but its probably more like months i.s.o years.

Acrylic adhesive works really well. the solvent in it melts PLA so you get a really strong bond when set. you just wipe on a small amount

You guys are so awesome. Thanks for all the reply. I will try out all of them. You have no idea how important this community is to me. When there is no other 3D printing company in a 2000km or more radius, this forum is indispensable. I will keep the forum informed of our progress in Africa.

• Like 3

Hi @kelechi,

Any new updates about combining your prints?

We have cheap superglue, and it works pretty good.

Thank @SandervG

I tried superglue on PLA, it didn't work. Does it work for you?

Meanwhile I have concerns about your supply chain to Africa. DHL and FEDEX are too expensive for us. I will need better options so I can get parts and filament supplies.

Yes it works really well. I have a pretty big PLA print on my desk, and it had a few broken parts (courtesy of DHL). Superglue fixed it within a few seconds. I did sand the surface down before I glued it, but that was mainly because the surfaces weren't flat (some previously glued joints broke and there was residue).

Where do you buy the filament and parts so far?

Do they offer alternative shipping methods?

Posted (edited) · African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

I have not had case for spare parts and my filaments come from a company in china. They give me the option of using more affordable third party couriers that serve Nigeria. But we would prefer to establish cheaper shipping routes from ultimaker.

Edited by Guest

You can also get many spare parts at 3dsolex.com. maybe @swordriff can tell you more about his shipping options for Africa.

• Like 1

@ultiarjan, thanks. You guys are simply wonderful. I appreciate the helpful info.

@sandervG, @ultiarjan and every other expert on this forum. Please let us all come over here.

So I have secured a presentation and event with a group of 100 architects in Nigeria. It will hold tomorrow thursday.

I will be demonstrating 3D printing. Now, I have been awake for the past 15 hours printing a model.

We do not have constant power here in Nigeria and for some reason which I do not know my printer will stop despite my UPS being on. The printer will be on but the print job will just stop.

After 5 hours of printing, I just could not start afresh. I had to do a little research and came across how to delete the gcode till I get to the height at which the print stopped. But this is clumsy. It is guess work and time crushing.

Is there no way ultimaker can resume at exactly where it stopped before? or how can I get the exact height of the extruder before it stops.

I am really on my wits end.

I am made a lot of news about 3D printing in Nigeria and here I am with this problem.

Does the ups just have too little capacity? Will it continue for only a short time or is there a short time without power before it kicks in?

I'm not a ups expert but I can ask around. Can you describe exactly what happens and what ups you have?

Posted (edited) · African 3D printing service using Ultimaker.

My UPS is Mercury Elite650PRO. Is it too small? The power backup kicks in instantly when the mains go off.

Edited by Guest

To answer your question, currently there is no way you can restart your print at the point where it failed.

Like you already discovered, you can find the part of the g-code, but it is a bit finicky.

When it kicks instantly, is that also the same time when the Ultimaker stops?

I am inclined to think if there is even a short power cut it will stop.

What do you think @UltiArjan? @gr5?

@SandervG, I think so too. I have some experience in microprocessors and I am inclined to think the chip driving ultimaker has a very small time interval( below 1 second) before it cuts off.

When I get confirmation on the UPS, I will I study this problem more.

For print recovery you can use the modified Firmware by @tinkergnome

You can download it here

I've never had to use it but it can help and has worked for others.

I have a UPS on my Ultimakers and it will work on small power shutdowns i'm not sure how much time it can last with no power at all. My guess would be around 15 minutes but i don't know the power it has.

You can use a pin on the UM2 board to automatically put the printer in pauze (see below link)... if this happens a lot you may need to start printing without heated bed, as otherwise the part will come loos anyhow. Also when printing without the heated bed you'll get a lot more time out of your UPS...

Don't think this pauze is the final solution for you, but maybe it can be a possibility to add something like a low power mode after it to get more time out of your UPS....

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/7436-more-information-during-print?page=10#reply-120271