matthieu

Ultimaker 3 release date ?

Posted · Ultimaker 3 release date ?

I went to the UK Distributor the other day, and spent about 3 hrs with this machine, and I have to say I like some parts of the machine, but the noise of the fans is beyond a joke.. there are 4 fans in the enclosure and another under the machine, when the machine is idle 3 of the fans still run. Don't like that at all... But had a chance to look at Rep Rap x350pro which was uber quiet.

I went to the UK Distributor the other day,  and spent about 3 hrs with this machine,  and I have to say I like some parts of the machine, but the noise of the fans is beyond a joke.. there are 4 fans in the enclosure and another under the machine,  when the machine is idle 3 of the fans still run. Don't like that at all... But had a chance to look at Rep Rap x350pro which was uber quiet.

really that sucks.

I went to the UK Distributor the other day,  and spent about 3 hrs with this machine,  and I have to say I like some parts of the machine, but the noise of the fans is beyond a joke.. there are 4 fans in the enclosure and another under the machine,  when the machine is idle 3 of the fans still run. Don't like that at all... But had a chance to look at Rep Rap x350pro which was uber quiet.

really that sucks.

I know a guy (3Dworkbench) that has an Ultimaker 2 and had the chance to test a Sigma, and he told me about the fan noise, but also that it would be fixed soon (firmware? replacement fans?).

Since I got the Ultimaker 2 I haven't deeply checked the 3D printing market, so I don't know which machines are direct competitors, but the Sigma seems to be a good rival for the Ultimaker, although BCN3D is part of a non-profit organization and that leaves them more space to innovate (rather than get a lot of benefits).

• Like 1

The Sigma I looked at was about 6months Old I could see the cooling fans for the print head might get a switch off while idle through firmware, that just leaves the one cooling the motherboard which I doubt they will turn off.

Hi everybody,

to add my little contribution to this hot topic, did you ever notice the info at "Rating and principal characteristics" position in the Ultimaker's CB Certificate document? (https://ultimaker.com/download/17589/CB_Certificate.pdf)

We can read : "Model 2+, 2+ Ext, 3: 100-240 Vac 50 / 60 Hz..."

Yes, model 3! In a document of 2016-03-11...

• Like 1

good catch! :)

Thx! Did I win an Ultimaker 3 then? Or at least a release date? ;-)

So it runs on electricity then. Not impressed.

Me too, was hoping it would just use The Force.

• Like 4

It's just the control mechanisms that are electric. The raw power needed is provided by a diesel engine.

• Like 4

Well that's ok then.

I would have preferred methanol with nitro methane.

• Like 2

The UM3 will also have a calculated print speed of 55,000 cubic mm/Sec, printing a full 1kg roll in around 20 seconds. Not Bad!

That is based on the assumption that print speed scales linearly with power requirements and Sanders confirmation above that the UM3 requires 1.21 Giga Watts. :)

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker 3 release date ?

Looks like we'll all need fusion reactors :)

Why 'need'? You don't have one yet? After the first posts about Ultimaker3 demands appeared here on the forum I immediately bought a fusion reactor to be on the safe side for future.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

The UM3 will also have a calculated print speed of 55,000 cubic mm/Sec, printing a full 1kg roll in around 20 seconds. Not Bad!

That is based on the assumption that print speed scales linearly with power requirements and Sanders confirmation above that the UM3 requires 1.21 Giga Watts. :)

I think I need to see the math on that one :p
  • Like 1

I think I need to see the math on that one :p

8) It went something like:

UM3 needs 1.21 Giga Watts / (24*9.2) = 5500 more power than UM2.

UM2 prints up to 10mm3/s, so UM3 up to 55000mm3/s or 55gm/s or 18s/kg

Actually, you could do the printing in even less time than 20 seconds as a machine with 1.21GW power is a time machine by (Hollywood-)definition... :D

As someone who is lucky enough to get information about these sorts of things early on, I should warn you. Don't get too excited about the new printer. Development went really well for the first few months, some really nice features were added, some that people have asked for, and some that no one had thought about yet. But due to some internal... struggles, and some fairly drastic changes in the management teams the project took a a bit of a turn.

The R&D department were all pretty excited about the new printer and they put in a ton of work to make everything work quite well. The problem was that the new management didn't quite like how much time and money was invested and feared that production costs would cut into profits too much. So a decision was made to take a bit of a shortcut for final production. Makerbot was chosen as a silent partner and the Ultimaker 3 will just be a re-brand.

Yes, that' a joke (just in case anyone was silly enough to believe a word of that :p )

• Like 7

Actually, you could do the printing in even less time than 20 seconds as a machine with 1.21GW power is a time machine by (Hollywood-)definition... :D

Which leads to the planned release date for the UM3.

Its going on sale 10 months ago just in time for last xmas. :)

• Like 1