Cheaper filament but just as good (or even better)

jeex

Posted (edited) · Cheaper filament but just as good (or even better)

On my quest for good printing and good looking filament i stumbled upon filament way cheaper than the colorfab i was using now. So, i ordered a party pack with samples and low expectations. Wood (nice dark), nylon and flexible PLA en some colours normal PLA at http://www.hestay.nl/filament/

I must say: beautiful colours, really good printing quality and it saves me about 25% on expenses. Payment, shipping and after sales are also fine. They instantly provided me with the proper print settings for my UM2.

Just had to share this here. It made me happy.

Edited by Guest

Both 1.75 and 3 (2.85). Check the site. Really nice colours and good printing quality. No difference, as far as i can see, with the more expensive filaments i used so far. Better than the stuff i got from 123print.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · Cheaper filament but just as good (or even better)

@titus I see no difference. Not in results, not in printing. This Hestay dude does not get his filament from one factory. He selects the best stuff from many brands, does numerous tests and selects what he likes most.

Do not forget that 3D-printing is getting more popular every day and raw material for filament is very cheap. So prices are dropping rapidly as new players enter the market. Cheaper in this perspective is not always lower quality.

Another filament that prints well is Plasticz, it comes in 1 kg rolls and costs € 19,35 (instead of 750 gr.). http://www.plasticz.nl/pla/

I tested a piece of grey metallic and must say that it prints nice en crisp, no stringing.

5a3311ae08232_2015-09-2515_38_33.thumb.jpg.504336be3aa77a2a4ef1cff81e7f58e0.jpg

compared another print with a different brand, and especially this print gave me 'blisters' on top (temperature thingy, can be solved with adjusting speed and temp., I guess caused by the 'metallic' fill, other colors were fine)

Two prints, same gcode, right Plasticz, no 'blister' on top

5a3311afde22e_2015-09-3012_45_31.thumb.jpg.3b980cdb102e380e921db6386615a726.jpg

• Like 1

Another filament that prints well is Plasticz, it comes in 1 kg rolls and costs € 19,35 (instead of 750 gr.). http://www.plasticz.nl/pla/

I tested a piece of grey metallic and must say that it prints nice en crisp, no stringing.

compared another print with a different brand, and especially this print gave me 'blisters' on top (temperature thingy, can be solved with adjusting speed and temp., I guess caused by the 'metallic' fill, other colors were fine)

Two prints, same gcode, right Plasticz, no 'blister' on top

I think I'll give this filament a try in the future! I had been searching for cheap 2.85mm filament for weeks, but all the cheap filament is 3-3.1mm diameter and I know that this diameter doesn't work properly with the UM bowden tube.

Thanks for sharing!

Has anyone tried the filament by Ingeo?

PLA from http://www.makergeeks.com/plafibymafi21.html

Maker Filament PLA is different from other PLA's you have used in the past because our 3D printer PLA filament is made using the trademarked Ingeo brand of PLA resin and extrudes perfectly in nearly every 3D printer on the market today; with no jamming, extra strong finished parts and a low moisture absorption rate compared to the other PLA Filament on the market.

@bcomella: 'our filament' -> you're affiliated with Makergeeks? Just be careful not to violate the house rules here...

Anyway, could you please do me a favor and print @ultiarjan's overhang test? Thanks!

• Like 1

I think I'll give this filament a try in the future! I had been searching for cheap 2.85mm filament for weeks, but all the cheap filament is 3-3.1mm diameter and I know that this diameter doesn't work properly with the UM bowden tube.

Thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind to order in Germany you should also consider to try this: www.dasfilament.de

(no, they don't pay me for this message, I am just a notorious money saver ;) )

I have tried 2.85 and 1.75 diameters for several projects and it worked really well.

Example (sorry for bad photo quality):

PSX_20160314_182124.thumb.jpg.a86c2ce5f021bf0884d1fca21e572efc.jpg

Cheers

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind to order in Germany you should also consider to try this: www.dasfilament.de

(no, they don't pay me for this message, I am just a notorious money saver ;))

I have tried 2.85 and 1.75 diameters for several projects and it worked really well.

PSX_20160314_182124.thumb.jpg.a86c2ce5f021bf0884d1fca21e572efc.jpg

Cheers

Really nice quality, I'll bookmark their webstore. Now with the Ultimaker 2+ there shouldn't be any problem with using 3mm filament instead of 2.85mm, but with the Ultimaker 2 there were some problems because of the friction and relative low torque.

Thank you very much for the info! ;)

• Like 1

If anyone is in Canada, I have found that filaments.ca has some pretty decent product. $30 per 1kg roll and shipping is free within the country if you order 5 rolls or more.

As maybe Einstein would have said: try to buy as cheap as possible, but no cheaper.

I recently got this cheap crappy one:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/20351-damn-filament-vendor-175mm-filament-roll-has-283mm-fused-section-in-it

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

If anyone is in Canada, I have found that filaments.ca has some pretty decent product. $30 per 1kg roll and shipping is free within the country if you order 5 rolls or more.

this

Thanks for sharing!

(no, they don't pay me for this message, I am just a notorious money saver ;))

Cheers

Really nice quality, I'll bookmark their webstore. Now with the Ultimaker 2+ there shouldn't be any problem with using 3mm filament instead of 2.85mm, but with the Ultimaker 2 there were some problems because of the friction and relative low torque.

Well, the inner diameter of the bowden tube is only 3.14mm so with 3mm filament you are stretching it. You have to be sure the feeder doesn't deform it only the slightest, that the diameter is perfect and not a strong curvature that pushes against the bowden. The feeder is pretty strong, but just some things to keep in mind :)

• Like 1

The filament of http://www.dasfilament.de/ is 2,85 and not 3mm ;)

I am sure your product seems to be quite interesting. Can you tell me how to dispose PLA once removed???

Try printing with Edge 2.85mm - it kind of replaces both PLA and ABS, really prints nice. It's new filament from E3D

http://e3d-online.com/All-Filament?filter=105