Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jeex

Better filament roll holder

What the f... is the name of that black thing on the back of the UM2 that holds the filement?

Whatever it is, it is broken. The tiny thin thingy it hangs on just snapped.

Is there a better design for the filament-role-holder-thing? Or can i download the current design and improve it?

you can also look at a design that takes the spool off the back of the UM. this has the added advantages of not relying on the flimsy thin plastic bit holding it to the UM and you can get the filament into a better alignment with the extruder stepper motor. just look up universal filament stand.

I did not print it myself. But in design it is by far the weakest spot of the thing. Very thin.

I now have a broom stick hanging one meter under the ceiling with all my rolls of PLA. I just grab the color I need and pull the wire down.

But still, i'm trying to find a more solid solution for this.

I had one printed laying around from the low friction spool holder I don't use anymore (use my rail system now, search "U2RS" on YouMagine.com) .

I may not be very strong :) but I can't break it even if I want to ... there is nothing 'flimsy' about this design IMHO.