UM2 Extruder Issues

PattyChuck

Posted (edited) · UM2 Extruder Issues

I have a new UM2 Extended, and for the first several prints, was absolutely flawless. I went thru about 3KG of filament before I started seeing this issue, and it seemed to have just all of a sudden happened. My extruder, as seems to be a common occurrence, clicks. And clicks. And clicks. 80% of the time, the print will execute without failure, but 20% of the time, the extruder skips so much that eventually it will grind the filament to where it won't go thru the Bowden tube any more.

Here are the steps I have taken to try and fix the issue:

Started by doing the "atomic method" of cleaning the nozzle. Still clicks.

I printed and installed the Alternate Extruder by IRobertI. Still clicks.

My printer came with spare parts to build a second extruder, so I completely replaced everything on the hot end. Still clicks.

I reinstalled the factory extruder. Still clicks.

I have tried all the "default" settings in Cura. Still clicks

I tried printing in a range from 210° - 220°, and varying feed rate from turtle to rabbit. Still clicks.

I'm using ColorFabb filament, tried two different spools, although both spools measure in the range of 2.84-2.87mm. Still clicks.

The only thing that seems to stop the clicking is if I manually adjust the Material Flow while the printer is running. To completely eliminate the clicking, I have to dial the flow down to somewhere in the 35-45% range (seems to be print-dependant). However, most (but not all) of the time this results in a failed print.

I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I work in the same room as my printer, and the clicking is like someone smacking a ball-pean hammer on my head, since I know the printer has printed fine before and it shouldn't be clicking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

Posted · UM2 Extruder Issues

Hi PattyChuck,

The feeder kicking back (sounds like "tock-tock") indicates that the filament is not forwarding properly for some reason. Have you re-leveled the build plate? Sometimes if the nozzle is leveled too close to the bed, not enough filament can get out and the feeder will kick back due to the buildup of pressure this causes in the print head.

Hi PattyChuck,

The feeder kicking back (sounds like "tock-tock") indicates that the filament is not forwarding properly for some reason. Have you re-leveled the build plate? Sometimes if the nozzle is leveled too close to the bed, not enough filament can get out and the feeder will kick back due to the buildup of pressure this causes in the print head.

Build plate is totally level. The clicking happens during all stages of printing, whether it is the first layer, or the last.

Build plate is totally level. The clicking happens during all stages of printing, whether it is the first layer, or the last.

Have you touched the feeder tension at all?

If you can supply the gcode for a model that is giving you problems, I can also try printing it to see if I can recreate the issue. What @neotko said about the extruder motor power command in the gcode from S3D is also viable, but I don't have a license for S3D so I can't confirm.

If you can supply the gcode for a model that is giving you problems, I can also try printing it to see if I can recreate the issue. What @neotko said about the extruder motor power command in the gcode from S3D is also viable, but I don't have a license for S3D so I can't confirm.

Here is the code from S3D showing the command for the extruder current.

M907 E1400 ; increase extruder current

G28 ; home all axes

G1 X20 Y10 F3000 ; bring extruder to front

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length

G1 Z10 ; lower

G1 E19 F200 ; purge nozzle quickly

G1 E26 F60 ; purge nozzle slowly

G92 E0 ; zero the extruded length again

G1 E-5.5 F400 ; retract

G1 X190 Z0 F9000 ; pull away filament

G1 X210 F9000 ; wipe

G1 Y20 F9000 ; wipe

G1 E0 ; feed filament back

D'oh! I forgot to add that to my list of things I've tried. I went from all the way loose to all the way tight, and the problem either still persisted or it got worse.

Here's a link to a 20mm cube that prints successfully, but it clicks like crazy. Parameters are as follows:

Layer Height - .1mm

Print Speed - 35mm/s (30mm/s bottom layer)

Temp (Extruder/Bed) - 215/70

Flow - 100%

Here is the code from S3D showing the command for the extruder current.

M907 E1400 ; increase extruder current

Based on my limited research, it seems as though the default current is 1250mA, but that changing the current really doesn't make much of a difference anyway. Thoughts?

Here's a link to a 20mm cube that prints successfully, but it clicks like crazy. Parameters are as follows:

Layer Height - .1mm

Flow - 100%

Well, that isn't Cura code, but your issue is the E steps. Basically, the way this model sliced, you are trying to extrude WAY too much filament. A normal value would be like E0.57321, but this code is like E3.26400. I'm not sure why this is. Was this code generated using S3D?

Also, what version of Cura are you using? This is not a mechanical problem with the printer, but instead an issue with your slicer. It's no wonder the feeder is kicking back.

Layer Height - .1mm

Flow - 100%

Well, that isn't Cura code, but your issue is the E steps. Basically, the way this model sliced, you are trying to extrude WAY too much filament. A normal value would be like E0.57321, but this code is like E3.26400. I'm not sure why this is. Was this code generated using S3D?

Also, what version of Cura are you using? This is not a mechanical problem with the printer, but instead an issue with your slicer. It's no wonder the feeder is kicking back.

This code was generated with Cura 15.04.2. Here's a copy of the profile exported from Cura.

Start code from Cura should look like this:

;FLAVOR:UltiGCode

;TIME:9200

;MATERIAL:10605

;MATERIAL2:0

;Layer count: 915

;LAYER:0

Your start code looks like this:

M190 S70.000000

M109 S215.000000

;Sliced at: Thu 24-09-2015 09:03:36

;Basic settings: Layer height: 0.1 Walls: 0.8 Fill: 15

;Print time: 39 minutes

;Filament used: 2.635m 20.0g

;Filament cost: None

;M190 S70 ;Uncomment to add your own bed temperature line

;M109 S215 ;Uncomment to add your own temperature line

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops

G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

G1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E5 ;extrude 3mm of feed stock

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F9000

;Put printing message on LCD screen

M117 Printing...

;Layer count: 198

;LAYER:0

Does the printer give you a message telling you that you are overriding machine settings when you initiate a print? It did on the UM2 I tried the gcode on. I'm not sure why Cura would output a start code like that, or what's going on with the extrusion rates.

You could try to uninstall/reinstall, or you could also try an older version of Cura. If you want to help the developers fix the problem, you can log it as an issue on the github HERE.

I'm not a software/slicing engine expert, so I can't say why your Cura is slicing like this. :( My 15.04.2 Cura works just fine.

No need to reinstall. Just go into the machine settings and check the G-code type. It should be on ultigcode . Looking at your code you probably have reprap code selected.

This can also happen when you select the wrong printer when installing cura. So reinstalling and selecting the correct printer will also do the trick. Same as just go to machine settings and add a michine and then select the correct printer.

• Like 2

No need to reinstall. Just go into the machine settings and check the G-code type. It should be on ultigcode . Looking at your code you probably have   reprap code selected.

This can also happen when you select the wrong printer when installing cura. So reinstalling and selecting the correct printer will also do the trick. Same as just go to machine settings and add a michine and then select the correct printer.

Well, that fixed everything! I have absolutely no idea how the GCode Flavor got changed. That's going to bug me for awhile. Thanks to everyone for their help!!

Good call @ultiarjan! I have never used the RepRap flavor in Cura so the start code looked totally unfamiliar to me. Glad it fixed your issue @PattyChuck!