Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
LePaul

UMO not putting out enough material at start of print

As the subject says, it seems like I have to crank on the extruder wheel to get some additional flow at the beginning of a print.

I usually start (PLA) at a temp of 215-220, while i get a good amount of flow coming out of the nozzle. But when the very start of the print, when the print head moves from the autohome, that's where it lacks the material flowing out. By the first pass, material is coming out at a normal rate and all is well.

Its usually a bigger hassle on brings I do not wish to use brim or raft.

I really don't want to mess with GCODE and wondered if there is a setting in Cura (latest, non-Beta) to extrude a bit extra at start?

Priming the hotend is certainly not a bad idea. The UM2 primes with 20mm iirc. I use something like 80mm3 on my UMO.

About the hardware: Do you have the same effect if you preheat the nozzle and wait e.g. 30s until you start the print?

I pre heat to 225 and then start the print. What messes things up is when the print begins, the bed autohomes, squishing the filament to the print head...and it seems to take a few seconds for the flow to resume.

Ups correction. I do push 15mm

G1 Z15.0 F500 ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0                  ;zero the extruded length

G1 F200 E15              ;extrude 15mm of feed stock

G92 E0                  ;zero the extruded length again

That's interesting. And you have the Original + (heated bed)

you can print a skirt of 5 passes to be sure that the filament is well primed after de bed auto home maybe? I always add at least a small skirt to be sure it's flowing nicely before printing the first layer

Not a bad idea, where do I add more passes for the skirt again?

Just having the extruder prime more material made a huge difference. I just need to scale it back a little. The default setting wasn't enough