Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
frederiekpascal

Turn of "beep" when retracting?

@frederiekpascal: What is your UM2 standing on? Have you tried yet to lift it for a few seconds and check if the sound is still the same. Because I think the retraction of the UM2 is really quiet (at least compared to an UMO). But you can amplify the sound it makes by putting the UM2 onto something which is in resonance with the printer sounds.

@frederiekpascal: What is your UM2 standing on? Have you tried yet to lift it for a few seconds and check if the sound is still the same. Because I think the retraction of the UM2 is really quiet (at least compared to an UMO). But you can amplify the sound it makes by putting the UM2 onto something which is in resonance with the printer sounds.

I'll check, keep you posted ;)

Change speed & acceleration. Its the combination that creates the sound. Some people used this to let the machine play midi songs.

I mostly print on 30mm/s to 50mm/s (I like high quality and I have patience :)) and travel speed 250mm/s (like recommended by many forum members here). Should I change anything to get less beeps? :)

I got the retraction sounds with Gcodes from Cura (new & old versions) and the new program I started using : Simplify3D.

I noticed it's more beeping with gcodes from Simplify3D but it's not a huge difference compared to Cura gcodes.

Found a picture from where our printer is standing on. A white desk in wood.

(I already got rid of the blue tape for PLA, no worries people! ;))

wMkfkKg.jpg

Shorter retract distances decreases the sound, changing the retract speed changes the frequency... for the retract distance: you might get oozing on the lower end; same goes for the speed plus there you might get a skipping feeder motor on the upper end.

so should I change anything to my S3D retraction settings in your opinion?

Shorter retract distances decreases the sound, changing the retract speed changes the frequency... for the retract distance: you might get oozing on the lower end; same goes for the speed plus there you might get a skipping feeder motor on the upper end.

so should I change anything to my S3D retraction settings in your opinion?

The settings are fine for a good print quality. You may play around if the sound still bothers you.

Maybe installing the @Meduza addon for um2 extruder would help since the steps increase (more movement for the same extruded = slower motor movement for the same steps??) (I might be wrong sorry) it adds a 1.8:1 gear ratio to the extruder.

https://ultimaker.com/de/community/view/9860-geared-feeder-upgrade-for-um2-gt2-belt-reduction

I solved the noises and beeps from the UM2 in our office in a more elegant way. A front door in plexi and a pre-assembled top cover. I love it!

Noise reduction = +50% and even more...

Highly recommended when your printer is located in an office or another place where people try to work or study :p

And even the design is still pretty cool for our office.

K8VKB6U.jpg

kfVq3QZ.jpg