Turn of "beep" when retracting?

Posted · Turn of "beep" when retracting?

You could disable retractions but that will have a negative effect on some prints.

Playing with the speed and length settings may change the sound but you'll have to experiment and make sure it still does it's job

Changing the speed makes a big difference of the sound. But you will still get a sound.

If you make sure your bowden doesn't move on retractions you maybe able to reduce the distance a little bit.

You should try an UMO for a week, then you'll be thankful that you have an UM2 :D

• Like 2

Change speed & acceleration. Its the combination that creates the sound. Some people used this to let the machine play midi songs.

@frederiekpascal: What is your UM2 standing on? Have you tried yet to lift it for a few seconds and check if the sound is still the same. Because I think the retraction of the UM2 is really quiet (at least compared to an UMO). But you can amplify the sound it makes by putting the UM2 onto something which is in resonance with the printer sounds.

@frederiekpascal: What is your UM2 standing on? Have you tried yet to lift it for a few seconds and check if the sound is still the same. Because I think the retraction of the UM2 is really quiet (at least compared to an UMO). But you can amplify the sound it makes by putting the UM2 onto something which is in resonance with the printer sounds.

I'll check, keep you posted ;)

Change speed & acceleration. Its the combination that creates the sound. Some people used this to let the machine play midi songs.

I mostly print on 30mm/s to 50mm/s (I like high quality and I have patience :)) and travel speed 250mm/s (like recommended by many forum members here). Should I change anything to get less beeps? :)

I got the retraction sounds with Gcodes from Cura (new & old versions) and the new program I started using : Simplify3D.

I noticed it's more beeping with gcodes from Simplify3D but it's not a huge difference compared to Cura gcodes.

Found a picture from where our printer is standing on. A white desk in wood.

(I already got rid of the blue tape for PLA, no worries people! ;))

wMkfkKg.jpg

Hmm... an office desk usually does not resonate... I guess you will have to live with the retraction sound. btw: what retraction speed have you set? This one changes the sound...

Hmm... an office desk usually does not resonate... I guess you will have to live with the retraction sound. btw: what retraction speed have you set? This one changes the sound...

My retraction speed is on 40mm/s on the printer itself. (for Cura Gcodes)

But when I use Simplify3D then I got this settings :

wC7Va6Z.jpg

and

bjQmCMa.jpg

Shorter retract distances decreases the sound, changing the retract speed changes the frequency... for the retract distance: you might get oozing on the lower end; same goes for the speed plus there you might get a skipping feeder motor on the upper end.

Shorter retract distances decreases the sound, changing the retract speed changes the frequency... for the retract distance: you might get oozing on the lower end; same goes for the speed plus there you might get a skipping feeder motor on the upper end.

so should I change anything to my S3D retraction settings in your opinion?

so should I change anything to my S3D retraction settings in your opinion?

The settings are fine for a good print quality. You may play around if the sound still bothers you.

The speed it quite fast and this will give it more of a beep sound. Default is 25mm/s so you could try that and see if the sound is more acceptable.

Maybe installing the @Meduza addon for um2 extruder would help since the steps increase (more movement for the same extruded = slower motor movement for the same steps??) (I might be wrong sorry) it adds a 1.8:1 gear ratio to the extruder.

https://ultimaker.com/de/community/view/9860-geared-feeder-upgrade-for-um2-gt2-belt-reduction

I solved the noises and beeps from the UM2 in our office in a more elegant way. A front door in plexi and a pre-assembled top cover. I love it!

Noise reduction = +50% and even more...

Highly recommended when your printer is located in an office or another place where people try to work or study :p

And even the design is still pretty cool for our office.

K8VKB6U.jpg

kfVq3QZ.jpg

Is there really no answer to this? Why is my UMO+ making these nasty beeping noises when retracting??

There have to be a solution, why doesn't the Wanhao I3 beep when retracting? The retraction settings don't affect the beeping sounds either...

Is there really no answer to this? Why is my UMO+ making these nasty beeping noises when retracting??

It is how stepper motors work, but halve the retraction speed and it will be much more quiet.

We have Spotify with Sonos in our office but still ;)

Maybe you need a script to sync the beeps to the beats of the music ;-)

SCNR.