Close the nozzle to get rid of oozing?

Posted · Close the nozzle to get rid of oozing?

Nobody ever came with a way to block oozing physically, eg by drilling a lateral hole in the nozzle for a pin/needle that would nicely close the output? Or may be a sliding plate, whatever could avoid leaks ;)

I would love to have a physical stop at or near the hot end, then "just" feed it with constant filament pressure and avoid all these problems with grinding, retractation and so...

Sure, it certainly sounds easier to ask than it is to make. But if I had a lathe I still would try it ;)

Adrian bowyer made a valve on his extruder back in 2008. See here

http://blog.reprap.org/2008/08/extruder-valve.html

The conclusion was, it's too hard to build it, and the benefits were later found to be attainable via retraction. Besides the valve hole makes it leak from two places instead of one.

Ultimaker retraction is possible, we just need a better extruder with a bigger diameter hobbed bolt for better grip.

interesting idea.

if you put a little pin shutter on the tip of the hot end. then it would need a small electronic motor to push it open and closed. that would mean, attaching some how electronics to the side of the hottest part of the printer.?

Ian

Even Erik still posts on google instead of the forums so I can see why he wouldn't...

oh mannn, ultimaker have to put a bullet in the head of this google thing...

splitting energy between two groups is just long term... suicide.

Ian

I would totally Google +1 Ian.... :)

I don't think that professional 3d printers use valves, I think cooling is the way to go. A low thermal mass hot end with a thermal break and an active cold end would eliminate oozing. Just turn the extruder down 20 degrees when not extruding, and pull the filament up to the thermal break.

another thread died of googlitis huh?

a shame because this forum is so much better, but there are still a dedicated bunch of pros here Ian and with your enthusiasm we'll wind up making a totally new and better UM, which they'll never even know about cos they didn't read this forum ;)

What ticks me off the most is that they don't even seem to care. I mean, for how long has that title been on the google pages that it's going to be replaced by the forums?

Personally I can't stand the google groups. It's a disorganized clunky mess.

Personally, I think that between retraction, software upgrades (enabling an active cooling/dual cool parameter like snowygrouch and I have been discussing in the "Hotend solution?" thread), and some hardware upgrades for active cooling, oozing shouldn't be an issue, even for dual extruder setups... In other words, as far as hardware goes, KISS...

Hi,

I do have a design in progress, almost finished (a single filament, dual nozzle - 0.3mm & 0.8mm - extruder, with a pair of independent interior V shape ended pins that self-center on the nozzle holes, with no direct contact with the exterior, and hence with zero oozing and zero leaking in other places) but to actually test it I would need help setting up a 3d printer package (I currently use Repetier Host / Marlin) to control one or two additional kits of hardware (either steppers or, preferably, solenoids) and I'm no programmer, so I really don't know how to go about this...

Any help would be really appreciated.

Eros

• Like 1