Thicker, Not Denser, Infill?

frank26080115

Posted · Thicker, Not Denser, Infill?

When Cura does infill, it does a bunch of X with single lines, and the distance between parallel lines gets shorter as infill setting is higher. But this is a bit problematic, I found that since infill is usually started after a travel move, along with possibly retraction, would make the filament pressure drop and not recover fast enough, often causing gaps.

As you probably know, when one layer has a gap, it tends to propagate upwards, causing a crack. This ruins the strength of the infill, and makes infill only useful as internal scaffolding so the top layers don't sag.

I want infill that actually adds to the strength of the part. All we need to do is make the infill thicker. Either by printing many lines 0.4mm wide right next to each other, or jacking up the extrusion rate to 200% just for infill.

What do you think?

I can barely tell they are also talking about Simplify3D, I have a license but it doesn't print nicely, as in, I can't ever get the speed settings to match what Cura does, but it does slice fast...

But I have a good computer and patience, soooo I'd rather see Cura at least add an infill extrusion width adjustment. Either that or triple line per one wall of infill.

Well simplify 3d it's atm a better program than cura. It has a hundred more options and it needs some caring to take advantage of each one for each job. The think it's that with s3d you can change the infill width % to make inside lines with more or less material, just like you want. It's important to know some settings like removing the megative retraction that comes by default (unless you print stuff with little retracts on a same area because if so it can create false underextrusion). Also it's important to check the inside/outside print order and the extrusion %. As a begginners guide check the brilliant post of https://0x7d.com/2015/01/a-guide-to-high-quality-3d-prints/

I don't agree on some stuff but, as all on 3d printing, depends on what you print.

what version of cura are you using? Some versions allow you to select in what order the infill and outer layers are printed in.

In the new BETA version you can also select different line widths for infill and outer walls.

Also, if anyone could make a list of stuff they miss in Cura (compared to S3D), this would help us a lot (and you guys in the long run ;))

• Like 1

- Almost infinity variables for extruders

- Every setting (infill, outfill, support, etc) extruder selectable (this allows to change each extruder settings even if it's the same to tune every aspect of the print even if you only have 1 extruder). Creating 'fake extruders' it's one of the most powerfull settings on s3d.

- Group object moving hierarchy

- Totally adjustable by settings prime/oozeshield towers.

- Customizable print order

- Just one button for 'always retract'. This on s3d it's so easy and so great since the infill it's actually connected he doesn't add a toon of retracts like happened on legacy cura when using the retract while combing.

- Customizable range of detour for 'combing'. It has other name on s3d but when changed you can actually make that the head never travels inside the object allowing easier 'real objects' fitting. Also it can be turn off and still with the retracts when crossing spaces on it makes very clear bottom and top layers that look great.

And that's just what I can think off while going on the train to work...

• Like 1

Almost infinity variables for extruders <- New Cura has those

Every setting (infill, outfill, support, etc) extruder selectable <- New Cura will have those

Group object moving hierarchy <- Not quite sure what you mean by that, but group moving is in the new cura.

• Like 1

That's indeed very good news

I think I am avoiding the beta because it was missing a feature... now I can't remember what.

My computer is also nearly out of SSD space so I avoid installing stuff when I can.

Sooo I guess it's about time for an upgrade.

There are still quite a few features not in the beta, such as lay flat, split into parts and proper dual extrusion support.

I saw this post and I too was looking for a way to do this in Cura 15.04.3 but the option to change infill line width was not available. I decided to try the Beta 15.09.91 (windows 64) just to see what it was about, and to my surprise, there it was.

I wanted to use the infill as a truss system and remove the top and bottom layers to create an open structure. I could do this in the model but it's much easier to let the infill do it for me. This won't be structurally accurate as I do not have control to put the truss exactly at critical stress points in the structure, but it will look cool

I must say, I have only had my UM2 for 2 weeks but I can tell already that this 3d printing is going to consume my every available moment just as programming did back in the 1990's and you can bet that you will see me on the forum and the community quite often in the future.

I have not tried yet but I should be able to orient the model on the build plate to create diagonal or linear infill. Let me see if I can load some pics.

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/rlolley/media/infill03_zpsej9ksuaw.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/rlolley/media/infill02_zps5xuohybu.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

The beta does crash sometimes, but it's not a full crash, it gets to the "windows must close this program" but I just hit the red x and it goes away.

Robert

Cura 1.99 is a lot more stable then 15.09.91

Cura 1.99 is a lot more stable then 15.09.91

So I'm finding out as we speak, at least it worked once.

At least it would go all the way around the perimeter instead of stopping midway and going back the other direction on each layer, which leaves a trace on the outer shell.