Gear Extruder - Anyone interested?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Gear Extruder - Anyone interested?

I would prefer Option A as well. This is assuming the printed pieces work well in CF20 or XT??

Yes, I've printed versions in both XT and XT-CF20 and they both work great.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Gear Extruder - Anyone interested?

I'm pretty sure you can get most of those improvements from a simple hobbed-wheel change...

Its possible you could see some similar benefits from using a hobbed wheel instead of the knurled one Ultimaker provides but there are some disadvantages. The gears work in a similar fashion if you were to use two hobbed wheels but with the addition of the geared motor you can apply a lot more clamping force to the filament without stalling the motor. The gear "trench" design also allows for a significant amount of grip force to be applied to the filament without significant deformation, even after retracting over the same spot over and over again. Our old makerbot replicator used hobbed wheels and they still had filament grinding issues.

Edited by Guest

This change looks like it would no longer need the filament guide, and also shorter bowden distance! I'm a fan!

This may be another topic, but in the case of detecting stuck/empty/tied filament, would there be a way of accomplishing in such a short distance?

This change looks like it would no longer need the filament guide, and also shorter bowden distance! I'm a fan!

This may be another topic, but in the case of detecting stuck/empty/tied filament, would there be a way of accomplishing in such a short distance?

I believe there would be, and if not the location of the feeder could be moved to accommodate. I may make a "reverse" version of the gearbox so I could mount it with the motor on the left and the gearbox on the right. That way it could sit flat and would provide a bit more space if you wanted to add a detector later on.

I think I like the "reversed" mounting location better, I'll print off a new gearbox and give it a go.

56422afe31cdf.jpg

56422b5f399d6.jpg

• Like 1

Wow, that looks a lot cleaner, from aesthetic standpoint. Only thing I see would be wiring clutter, if its flipped to that side. Also, hard too see from the pics, but would there be a place for a grommet at the bottom where filament enters the feeder? (Similar to the iRoberts feeder)

Wow, that looks a lot cleaner, from aesthetic standpoint. Only thing I see would be wiring clutter, if its flipped to that side. Also, hard too see from the pics, but would there be a place for a grommet at the bottom where filament enters the feeder? (Similar to the iRoberts feeder)

I'm still working on cleaning up the wiring but I think I could make a channel in the mount to help clean up the wiring a bit. I don't currently have a grommet but I'll be sure to add one in.

Also just playing around with some ideas.... ;)

56423cd4a6aed.jpg

Better yet....

5642438c6b108.jpg

• Like 4

This version rocks! The two up design makes the most sense, even if no option for dual extrusion is available. Would be great for tool switching (if it has been added like ultiarjan setup)

This would mean a major overhaul to the spool holders as well though. probably necessary.

Looks great! Awesome progress!

Yea, I like that second design as well. Since I'm also interested in doing the setup that Ultiarjan did (pretty sure thats who did it). So I can have a setup just for PLA and another for XT and other Higher Temp materials, then I can install the upgraded 35W Heater into that one.

Plus that second setup also keeps the bowden tubes closer to each other, so you can keep things a little tidier too.

This idea looks really cool. How will this be better than the BondTech feeder

www.bondtech.se

They are very similar, the only real difference is the BondTech feeder uses hobbed gears to grip the filament where mine uses a V-groove in the gear teeth themselves. The V-groove should deform the filament less than the hobbed style, but without actually having a BondTech extruder its hard to know for sure. The motor I am using is a little stronger than the one they use but both should provide ample torque.

BondTech

25618003-origpic-1f2e39.jpg

Mine:

55fb159a653a6.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Mendells, nice work with the extruder, I know very well the amount of work that needs to be done developing this. Since you discuss filament deformation I thought I would show you a photo showing how the filament gripped by the Bondtech Extruder looks.

Filament-deformation-ABS-3.thumb.jpg.e9361cf332b93d995683e13db390cdf5.jpg

For your information I have just released the new QR model with a QuickRelease for quick filament changes.

Bondtech-QR.jpg.b9be85eef1d9998f180767eb95b91e9c.jpg

I am getting quite a number of happy Ultimaker users that have upgraded to the Bondtech Extruder that have made a fantastic printer even better and more reliable. Here you can see a happy user in France that have the predecessor the V2 model installed on his 3 printers.

Please feel free to ask questions and I will be happy to answer them!

With Best regards

Martin.

• Like 3

This would mean a major overhaul to the spool holders as well though. probably necessary.

Did you ever see this? it's fairly simple.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-rail-system-u2rs

dual.thumb.jpg.50ea7ce0640317ebdd321229b5e23a9e.jpg

dual.thumb.jpg.50ea7ce0640317ebdd321229b5e23a9e.jpg

There is a lot of work to do before production so I don't know for sure when that may be.

A question for those who may be interested. Would you rather?

A: Receive all hardware and print the gearbox, motor mount and motor adapter yourself ($100-150)?

B: Receive all hardware and 3D printed gearbox, motor mount and motor adapter ($130-180)

C: Receive all hardware and machined aluminum gearbox, motor mount and motor adapter ($200-250)

Prices are rough estimates, just trying to get an idea what people would want.

I think my budget would top out at about $130. Also, while I will definitely need a good extruder for large prints in the next year, I won't be needing one right away.

One question. What is the compatible range of filament sizes?

Hi Mendells, nice work with the extruder, I know very well the amount of work that needs to be done developing this.  Since you discuss filament deformation I thought I would show you a photo showing how the filament gripped by the Bondtech Extruder looks.

For your information I have just released the new QR model with a QuickRelease for quick filament changes.

I am getting quite a number of happy Ultimaker users that have upgraded to the Bondtech Extruder that have made a fantastic printer even better and more reliable. Here you can see a happy user in France that have the predecessor the V2 model installed on his 3 printers.

With Best regards

Martin.

Hi Martin,

That's a great looking extruder. It looks like the drive gears share a similar design to the MK8 RepRap drive gear, which I have found gives really good grip without deforming the filament very much.

On the 3mm variant, what do you feel is the compatible range of filament sizes? Also, how hard is it to convert the 3mm variant to 1.75mm and back?

Hi Mendells, nice work with the extruder, I know very well the amount of work that needs to be done developing this.  Since you discuss filament deformation I thought I would show you a photo showing how the filament gripped by the Bondtech Extruder looks.

With Best regards

Martin.

Hi Martin,

That's a great looking extruder. It looks like the drive gears share a similar design to the MK8 RepRap drive gear, which I have found gives really good grip without deforming the filament very much.

On the 3mm variant, what do you feel is the compatible range of filament sizes? Also, how hard is it to convert the 3mm variant to 1.75mm and back?

Hi, the 3 mm version feeds 2.85 very good, I have not been able to test any smaller, for 1.75 mm the gears and the front housing are different so this will need to be replaced (2 screws & 1 set  screw, max 2 minutes of work.)

/Martin

• Like 1

With Best regards

Martin.

Thanks for the feedback Martin. If anyone knows how much work it is, it's you ;)

That's about the same depth of deformation I am seeing with my wheels although the deformation shape is a little larger due to the bigger pitch of the gears and the drive-groove location on the gears themselves. Having a driving wheel on both sides of the filament seems to help tremendously with the grip and reducing grinding. I have not been able to get my filament to slip in the drive gears at all. The motor skips steps before any slipping/grinding is possible. I'm assuming its the same way for your extruder. The original UM2 feeder had been a source of much frustration from the beginning.