Hotend not heating during print

Posted (edited) · Hotend not heating during print

I have an UMO with heated bed upgrade and dual extrusion.  Extruder 1 is out of commission (official thermocouple did not fit the official aluminum block, waiting on customer service from US distributor to assist).  So I'm currently trying to get extruder 2 up and going.  I recently replaced the entire hotend with all official parts (new peek, new block, new ptfe, new nozzle), but still using the old heating element and old thermocouple as they were fine on this particular extruder.

My issue now is that the hotend is not heating when I send a print to it via SD card on the ulticontroller or direct cable connection via my computer.  The heated bed does respond and heats up via both of these methods.  Once the heated bed reaches its set temp, the print head engages in action as if its printing, but the extruder motor gear and thus extruder wheel do not turn.  My understanding is that when the hotend heat command is not read there is a safety mechanism built in to where the extruder motor does not turn because driving filament into a cold hotend could damage it.  So I decided to preheat the printer hotend and bed via the ulticontroller, then attempt a print.  Both the heated bed and the hotend heat up when preheat is selected from the ulticontroller; however, even though the desired temp is reach when I select print the printhead engages is motion as if printing, but the extruder wheel does not turn.  

I thought maybe the nozzle was clogged, but filament comes out fairly easily when I manually drive the extruder wheel and the ABS comes out in a slow flow on its own when I have it set at 250C and above.  I then decided to upgrade the firmware (marlin gcode flavor, cura 15.04), this also did not change anything.  I pushed all the wires on top of the print head and they seem secure.  Tried SD card and direct cable to computer.  Not sure what else to try.  

Any advice?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Hotend not heating during print

Extruder won't turn until temp is over 170C but I believe preheat only heats to around 170C, right? So just manually set the temperature using the ulticontroller to the temp you want to print at and then start the print. You might want to check the temp to make sure it isn't commanded to 0C or some other wrong temp.

In cura did you select UMO+? For my UMO I always select 0C for the nozzle temp such that I can just set the desired temp on the ulticontroller and start the print when the temp is close enough.

I preheated the nozzle using the "preheat ABS" setting via the ulticontroller before printing and also tried setting the temp to 250C under the "control" tab on ulticontroller and with both methods the hotend heated up to 250C, but the extruder motor still didn't turn on.

I have UMO selected in cura.  I usually preheat before I start my prints via an SD card and havent had an issue with the motor until this week.

How do I check and see if it commanded to 0C?

Edited by Guest

I have a suggestion..

I believe Cura decides which hot end you use (which is the first).

The second hot end is only enabled as the second hot end.

So it won't let you bypass the first one, when it is out of order for example, and only use the second nozzle. (The other way around would work, use only the first hot end).

You could use an older version of Cura (and the accommodating firmware) but unfortunately I am not exactly sure which one you need.

Hi. Im all new, and i had the same problem with my UMO+.

Cura have some problems with the latest versions. Its the slicer that makes the problems so the E-stepper (ekstruder motor) just keeps "clicking" instead of ekstruding resulting in underekstrusion.

My advice is to delete the version of Cura you have and try an older version.

If you are using an Windows computer, you might have a problem with deleting the entire program.

Windows saves a lot of data even when you remove a programe. I have to format my entire computer, because the settings in Cura follows even when deleting cura and installing a new version.

Try out another programe mabye. Im using Repeter Host and that makes batter prints than Cura.

Try it and please give some feedback.

So I'm a bit confused.  Are you saying that you have a bad hot end on heater0 and temp sensor0 and a brand new hot end on a second nozzle hooked up to heater1 and temp sensor1?

I have very little experience with using 2 hot ends and the people who get it to work say it's very complicated.  Cura and Marlin are set up for dual printing but not printing *only* on the second hot end - that just doesn't work very well.

Please clarify which hot end you are trying to heat, and where the nozzle heater and temp probe are connected on the PCB. I strongly recommend you treat the UMO as a single hot end machine unless you are printing 2 different filaments in the same print.

Edited by Guest

I can't answer for UMO, don't have one and don't know the firmware, but on UM2 it's easy once you know how to do it..

change the start of the UltiGcode:

old

;FLAVOR:UltiGCode

;TIME:1041      

;MATERIAL:6167      

;MATERIAL2:0        

;Layer count: 320

;LAYER:0

new

;FLAVOR:UltiGCode

;TIME:1041      

;MATERIAL:0

;MATERIAL2:6167      

T1

;Layer count: 320

;LAYER:0

And it helps to set the tool change retraction to zero (UM2 advanced menu on the printer)

When you use Simplify 3D you don't need to change G-code, just appoint the 2th nozzle in your process.

Edited by Guest

So I'm a bit confused.  Are you saying that you have a bad hot end on heater0 and temp sensor0 and a brand new hot end on a second nozzle hooked up to heater1 and temp sensor1?

I have very little experience with using 2 hot ends and the people who get it to work say it's very complicated.  Cura and Marlin are set up for dual printing but not printing *only* on the second hot end - that just doesn't work very well.

Please clarify which hot end you are trying to heat, and where the nozzle heater and temp probe are connected on the PCB.  I strongly recommend you treat the UMO as a single hot end machine unless you are printing 2 different filaments in the same print.

Yes, extruder 1 is out of commission until the new thermocouple arrives.  

I'm trying to use extruder 2 as my primary extruder.

I believe the terms you are using "extruder 0 and extruder 1" are equivalent to what I call "extruder 1 and extruder 2", respectively.

Edited by Guest

Yes, T1 is the second extruder

Hi @printerfan,

now that we are close to the reason why your nozzle isn't working, could you select the answer which helped you best?

It would help future readers with a similar problem to find the best answer as soon as possible.

Here are some guidelines to what new features the forum has to offer, at the bottom of the page you can read about topic types and more specifically Questions & Best Answers.

Thank you!

@SandervG I don't think he got a good answer for umo already....

@printerfan. Not sure which firmware you use but I would probably try to install a recent dual extrusion firmware.. f.e. from cura 15.4 and try again..

Also I think you can just put a T1 in the startup g-code to heat up the 2th nozzle.

correction: think you better take tinkergnomes dual extruder firmware, is a lot easier and gives more information:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/7436-more-information-during-print?page=9#reply-118227

And just though of another potential issue, in the UM2 (Ultimaker) firmware the nozzle will not start heating when your in "tune" mode. Only after you go out of tune the nozzle will start heating....

correction: think you better take tinkergnomes dual extruder firmware, is a lot easier and gives more information:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/7436-more-information-during-print?page=9#reply-118227

Arjan - calm down... :)

The printerfan owns an UMO.... or do i missed something?

If fiddling around with the gcode doesn't work - is swapping of the cables an option?

• Like 1

@tinkergnome

hmmm clearly not awake enough tonight, didn't realize you 'only' made UM2 versions... I'd better shut up for now...

What you want to do printerfan is difficult with software. It is SOO MUCH EASIER to simply take the 2 cables that are going to the second nozzle and hook them up as though they are the first nozzle. Cura and the firmware can do what you describe (probably by adding the T1 command) but it's so much simpler just to wire it up as though you only have one nozzle. If you ever get 2 nozzles working then you can wire it up "normally" but you will never be able to print using ONLY the second nozzle - you need a "dual" print for that. Or jump through some hoops.

Oh - the feeder motor for second nozzle also needs to be connected as though it is the first motor.

Gr5, that is a really good idea. I will try that out.