Weird problem - UM2 starts grinding filament after 15 minutes and prints in the air...

Posted · Weird problem - UM2 starts grinding filament after 15 minutes and prints in the air...

Try to limit the # retractions on the same piece of the fillament.

Cura (15.04)  expert settings;

limitRetraction.png.b3908e222f43b11ab6ea515cfae2ceff.png

this setting is default on 0.02, you want me to change it to 0.45? that's a huge difference to the default settings isn't it?

Posted · Weird problem - UM2 starts grinding filament after 15 minutes and prints in the air...

For simplify3d they have a great guide. I think was @rigs who posted it

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/print-quality-guide/#not-extruding-enough-plastic

They explain in depth many settings

I sliced the model again in Cura 15.04.2 to check if this will work out. :)

• Like 1

For lots of retractions lower a bit the speed of the retractions also helps but if it's too hot it can make blobs and strings.

it's already only on 30mm/sec, lower it to how much?

Default is 25mm/s, It is set this low because of grinding as Daid stated many moons ago.

Posted (edited) · Weird problem - UM2 starts grinding filament after 15 minutes and prints in the air...
    this setting is default on 0.02, you want me to change it to 0.45? that's a huge difference to the default settings isn't it?

Yup, basically the original setting doesn't do anything...

I believe it's like this >> at 0.45, with 4.5mm retraction a single piece in the filament can maximum go 10x over the "hobbed wheel" driving the filament. I's a nice starting point I think but you probably need to experiment a little  with retraction intense prints.

What your printer can handle will depend on f.e. feeder type, temperature of the feeder (motor+wheel), material etc....

Edited by Guest