Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
thomas-roager

3D Modelling a fan duct

Hello Folks

i was wondering how you would go on about creating a fan duct, it seems like it isnt an easy job.

Im using Designspark mechanical/Spaceclaim to create my models.

Maybe any of you knew or had some good inputs on how to go create one.

Thanks in advance.

- Thomas

Is this for your printer?

if so Have a read of THIS as it might help you get a few ideas.

In all I have found that fans run better lying flat, Have the same exit hole as the open area of the fan, have enough room for air to move. So a fan blowing onto a flat surface is not so good.

Also @foehnsturm has done a lot of good work on this topic, you can get ideas HERE and HERE

Yeah this is for my printer, im trying to create a fan duct for a fan blower so the problem is to get the fan flowing.

Like foehnsturms work, i think its hard to create the twisting inside og a model. i do have some ideas how to create my model but how to get it done in modelling the hole in the model to curve the wind is the hardest part for me.

I do have an idea, but the problem is to curve the wind from the fan like the ideas you came with.

For example this one: http://www.thingiverse.com/make:119497

Lets say i want to create something similar, how to i go on about creating the hole inside the model?

I would go create the fan duct without the hole where the wind should go. and then i would somehow create the hole inside the model. But is this the way to go, and how do i do it :)

i hope this helps :)

I don't use that design software so probably not the best to help you with.

Are you able to thin extrude the main shape using a loft?

I'm pretty sure @ultiarjan uses that software and hes a pretty switched on designer so he maybe able to point you in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure @ultiarjan uses that software and hes a pretty switched on designer so he maybe able to point you in the right direction.

Not sure I understand the question completly, but for fuent shapes I usually like to draw a curved line, the extrude the line to a surface, and then extrude that surface to a certain thickness.

If you want to get a fluent connection between to shapes, lets say a square and a circle, you need "spaceclaim" the paid (or otherwise obtained) version of design spark mechanical

• Like 1

Not sure I understand the question completly, but for fuent shapes I usually like to draw a curved line, the extrude the line to a surface, and then extrude that surface to a certain thickness.

If you want to get a fluent connection between to shapes, lets say a square and a circle, you need "spaceclaim" the paid (or otherwise obtained) version of design spark mechanical

Exactly like you describe it, if i use spaceclaim how would ii do the shape like you just described?