Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jscooper22

No Estimate from gcode file?

If I open an STL file I get the estimate of how long and how much filament it will use, and can see changes as I adjust settings. If I open a gcode file (which is how cura saves it), I don't get that. It seems this means once I save and close a project I can no long estimate the print time without copying the file to the sd-card and putting it in the printer. Am I missing something? Why would this be?

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

An STL has yet to be processed / sliced, and by tweaking different settings you can influence the time and material it uses.

A gcode is basically a list of commands, a result of a sliced 3D model. It has all the settings in it, some you can still influence with commands but it is pretty much all set in stone.

A g-code doesn't replace an STL, so if you have created a g-code, there is nothing stopping you from scaling it up and create another new g-code.

If you are just curious about the print time, you can open a gcode in a text editor and in the first few lines it should tell you how long the print approximately takes.

Good luck!