Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

Posted (edited) · Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

5a3312dbbc23e_Key7.thumb.jpg.20b0eee0780b2ff3e336ce0d23fcea1f.jpg

(click on photo to see it properly!)

1st prize is Olsson Block or 10 nozzles for UM2.

Winner decision is subjective and final. Design is free for anyone to use. Design may be named

after designer if you want.

PLEASE POST DESIGNS "AS-You-Go".!

Hello everyone!!

This is the STP file for a Stainless Steel 7mm hex key which will shortly be available to help changing nozzles on the UM2 (with nozzle upgrade). Key 7 File (right click on link to the left and select download or "save link as..." or similar).

Here is the STL file in case you want to look at it in Cura or another tool. key7.stl

CHALLENGE:

It works by itself,  replacing the standard 7mm socket in use now,

but the following 2 printable add-ons are cool:

1) Simple, nice holder which attaches to it, to make it even nicer to use.

Tip! -Should attach far away from the centre to avoid softening by heat.

2) Simple printable adapter so it will attach to the Anders Olsson Torque Wrench

found here: Anders Olsson Torque Wrench

Winner decided Nov. 1st before midnight!

Edited by Guest
  • Like 2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Design CHALLENGE For UM2 Nozzle Changer

Just a couple of thoughts. I'm slightly worried about the nozzle falling into the palm of your hand when you have unscrewed it. That could potentially burn you pretty badly as the reflex is usually to try and grab something that is falling. Would it be possible to add a small ledge that catches the nozzle? Something simple like this shouldn't cost much as far as machine time goes. Unless you're going to water jet these of course (which I suspect you might considering the shape).

olsson_key.thumb.jpg.66bbd69a82b1098db3632ab30aed31b0.jpg

And another thought I had which I don't know how difficult it would be to tune properly is to add a "torque indicator" of sorts to it. I made a really ugly mockup here:

olsson_key_torque_thingy.thumb.jpg.20b84cfbe64356faf85ceaa417705c6d.jpg

Basically cut a slot on one end so that when you've reached the correct torque (or at least close enough) the bottom part bends up enough to touch the upper part. I think it should be pretty easy to feel the two parts touching (since you can't really see it while using it).

• Like 4

I don't see why that shouldn't work. Unless it somehow deformed the tool "further up" so to speak, so that the nozzle doesn't go through cleanly. But that would have to be one hell of a hit I think :)

• Like 1

Ok here's my design idea ;) you should add a strap so nerds can finally look just as cool as surf dude's ....ToolNeck.thumb.jpg.3984bc58ed935f2b16813645f12c3f16.jpg

btw I like the design of the thing... don't think it's more practical than the current tool (I use the one with extension) but it does look good ..

• Like 1

5a3312eeab595_key8.thumb.jpg.156693e9a01455d72058390c7514c93b.jpg

Ok @iroberti and @ultiarjan..

Please analyze this one for me, the plan is that the hex is 6.95-isch tol 0.05 diagonally and then the user can squeeze it to make it "hold"  the nozzle when it falls back.

So it will automatically hold the nozzle, and a slight squeeze will let it fall out...

Edited by Guest

COMPETITION IS STILL ON!

I need a plastic "holder" for this part ( key itself will be made in STEEL).

Since this little Wrench, Key, will be fiddly but possible to use on its own, I still need

a holder/interface design which is printable.

Tip: Stay away from the middle, it is hot.

Edited by Guest

Though from a design perspective I like such a nice small tool, from a practical point I'll probably prefer the current available tool. I would rather have an improved version of this... atm the nozzle falls all the way in the socket, a less deep version of the socket would also make it possible to use it while mounting the nozzle.

Also from a safety perspective the nozzle in a socket will be hard to beat....

Tool.thumb.jpg.53af96202b57be71098ffa5f4b1577bf.jpg

• Like 1

To stick to the request and because it's good fun, I've put something together... I wonder how hot i will get and how much time you have to change ...

ToolC.thumb.jpg.1c21c0c86838ba10abfd3361f17b8772.jpgToolB.thumb.jpg.7ff5bc68807cc867cc480deffd1ad564.jpgToolA.thumb.jpg.cd5ab9a7a1236c940dfedacafa8405d9.jpg

• Like 2

I also started with a design, but soon realized that my idea of using a screw and a nut trap to screw the key to my plastic holder will not work due to that nothing can be sticking up over the top of the key to not interfere with the fan shroud...

5a3312f4bfe03_2015-10-2521_42_51-AutodeskFusion360.thumb.png.d24d5f2455aa33c2e5da76c3f677ee77.png

I am also not that excited by this design, i think that the best thing would be a shorter socket where the nozzle cannot fall down into and a evolution of Anders torque wrench.

Edited by Guest

To be honest, I like the current tool together with the torque wrench.

When my nozzle falls in the deep socket, I just take it out with a pincet. :)

The whole point of this contest is that the sockets cost too much. These steel pieces would be much cheaper.

Meduza's design is better than ultiarjan's (so far) I think because the hot part of the tools is farther away from the plastic.

Yes IRobertI is smart. So damn smart. He never ceases to amaze me. There are companies out there who need mechanical engineers that have no idea what they could be hiring!

I think it would be so cool to take the meduza part and combine it with the iroberti torque-arm design and make that in PLA such that when it touches you stop torquing. Then you don't need such a huge torque wrench you can print something much smaller.

The whole point of this contest is that the sockets cost too much.  

0.87 euro on ali-express....., but even if it's 10 times that amount it's worth it to avoid burning your fingers ;)

I did also make one version with countersunk screws, could easily be coupled to Anders wrench with the same method @ultiarjan used :-)

5a3312f4f2bb0_2015-10-2601_04_59-AutodeskFusion360.thumb.png.498f8f0d06ed7cad6576c353542aba06.png

I do like @IRobertI's torque arm design, @swordriff, your latest design sounds neat, i like that it would hold the nozzle by it self, but at the same time it looks kind of fragile...

5a3312f4f2bb0_2015-10-2601_04_59-AutodeskFusion360.thumb.png.498f8f0d06ed7cad6576c353542aba06.png

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

You guys are just fantastic! The reason for replacing the socket is that a big client needs the nozzle change to work without acquiring an extra tool, like ATW or other wrench..

I think the suggested plastic "holders" are amazing, and I am sure that in combination with help from @iroberti, @gr5, @ultiarjan we can find something that works.

Nobody else read this ( As we know, it does work without any tool, the socket I mean, but needs to turned a little "hardish", like @gr5 -s female example).

I hope the new design which I am working on can work, and the plan is indeed that it will hold the nozzle by itself. It will work Much better with plastic holder.

Small trouble how to design the holder so that a press on the plastic releases the nozzle..

It is made with EDM wire cutting. My problem is calculating the material thickness and type to get the right bending/holding action.

I need you help on this!

5a3312f51e395_key8.thumb.jpg.1218a99b7537709b2a25587f013b08b8.jpg

5a3312f51e395_key8.thumb.jpg.1218a99b7537709b2a25587f013b08b8.jpg

@meduza what about your design, and I try to make a dent in the hex on one edge, so the nozzle will not fall through?

@swordriff: i am afraid that in my latest design the screw heads will be annoying since they have to stick up a bit above the surface to retain the key and will interfere with the fan shroud when turning the key.

I am leaning more towards my first design but not using any screws at all and instead using a drop of super glue to fix the key to the printed part.

The dent method does sound nice if it works, even if i think you should use at least two dents on opposing sides to keep the nozzle straight, also i would think that too tight tolerances on the hex part is not a good idea since the nozzles tend to accumulate plastic residue after a while.

Edited by Guest

A quick simple solution to the nozzle dropping down into the socket is to glue a nut or two into the bottom of the socket until you have a suitable height for the nozzle.

• Like 1

reading back through the posts, i'm infavour of the socket and your printed torque wrench as there are a lot of people that over tighten things, lets face it brass is soft and if your using a stainless nozzle and over tighten it you have ruined a hot end.

Im not saying that we would all do that but lets face it there are engineers out there that are only alowed to use safety scissors, and if they were to over tighten the nozzle on my machine and break it...

If your spending the best part of 2K+ euros on a 3D printer and think about scrimping a few cents on some tools then your going to pay in the long run, have one less foamy non fat capuchino and buy the socket.

Very fast idea. I wasn't able to sleep so don't mind the geometry errors, it's just a 3d doodle.

5a331324d527a_Capturadepantalla2015-11-02alas7_48_51.thumb.png.74d3970e8f4bc8d4d705d147de3e2508.png

5a3313250d149_Capturadepantalla2015-11-02alas7_49_56.thumb.png.7d9418e2ab68b0f7f98ec9a0aeaf272b.png

5a331324d527a_Capturadepantalla2015-11-02alas7_48_51.thumb.png.74d3970e8f4bc8d4d705d147de3e2508.png

5a3313250d149_Capturadepantalla2015-11-02alas7_49_56.thumb.png.7d9418e2ab68b0f7f98ec9a0aeaf272b.png

Ok we have a winner!!

We need a design as an alternative to the 7mm hex Socket which comes with the Olsson Block.

There have been several clever entries, but a decision has to be made.

Favoured are ideas where the use of the wrench induces as little radial forces as necessary, in this respect the existing 7mm socket it the best but only when combined with Anders Olsson Torque Wrench.

All things considered and extremely biased I vote for split between @iroberti and @meduza.

Thanks to @iroberti for pointing out (and solving) the problem of the hot nozzle falling down through the key.

I think stamping the key in a similar design as 5a3312dbbc23e_Key7.thumb.jpg.20b0eee0780b2ff3e336ce0d23fcea1f.jpg

and then making a little dent or two in the hex on 2 sides will prevent the nozzle from falling through.

Sorry you other guys, close but no cigar ( I hope I am right ). @Ultiarjan, @izzy each one small reward. PM me. @neotko no magic this time... ( at last! ).

Ultiarjan, I think we will need an interface to the AOTW, or a modified inner part.

But dont start drooling over this yet, since final decision by client is not made...

Maybe we stay with the existing 7mm socket.

Thank you!

• Like 2

Hi Carl, I like the Olson block is being offered by Ultimaker now and I like the nozzle markings, is thathow UM are marking them or the new way the nozzles are coming from 3dsolex?

That's how they come from 3dsolex.