Olsson Block Starter Kit - Questions (UM2)

Posted · Olsson Block Starter Kit - Questions (UM2)

Hello,

So just getting back into printing more stuff, turned into a daddy this year, so I've been a little busy with my daughter. I was reading about all the awesome Mods that people have been doing since I first bought my printer over a year ago, one of the most interesting is the Olsson Block.

* Right now when my head gets all clogged up I do the Atomic Method to clean it out, which works AWESOME. Would this still be something I need to do when/if I get the Olsson Block?

* Are there other advantages other than printing faster (right head for the job) that the Olsson Block provides?

* Opinion: Do I need it? I'm planning on printing in Colorfabb XT / Taulman T-Glase, Nylon (from Taulman), Colorfabb Bronzefill, as well as the Colorfabb Woodfill stuff.

I'm already looking into ordering some more PTFE Isolator Couplers due to the issue I hear people having with them warping after printing the PETT/XT style stuff from the high temps needed, so figured I'd get a few other supplies (like this O-Block) while I'm at it.

Hi drofnas, You will still use the atomic method to clean out the head between material changes.

The benefits of the Olson block is that you can easily and cheaply replace nozzles, if you want to print with ColorFabb XT-CF20 it will wear away the nozzle, so at least with the Olson block you can have a dedicated nozzle or even a stainless nozzle for it.

Also you can try some different size nozzles, 0.3 allows to to print a lot smaller items, the Nozzles from 3Dsolex are great there is an improvement in the material flow and print quality, and the jet nozzle seems better still.

Getting the Olson block is one upgrade you will not regret it's great, they also do an uprated heating element which again works well keeping the temperature of the printing head more stable. If getting the Olson block get an uprated heater at the same time.

Another beauty of having seperate nozzles is that some materials leave a residue which can effect other materials, so you can have a seperate nozzle for say t-glass and flexi filaments.

Some great info, thanks. I was actually looking to pick up the Olsson Block Starter Kit from the fbcr8 website. It comes with 4 tips and the tools needed. Seemed like a good bundle plus I get free shipping here in the States.

Would the standard heater element work fine for now? Then upgrade the heater element after I learn how to use this new block + tips.

Yes the block uses the existing hardware (temp sensor and heater cartridge.) I would highly recommend you also purchase an extra temperature sensor if you're placing an order for PTFE couplers if you intend to swap out to an olsson block.

I've broken 2 of 2 sensors I've tried to swap out to the olsson block. There was just no way to get the sensor out without tugging on the wires.. and that breaks it quite easily.

The heater cartridge came out without issue on both.

So far I really like the Block, using it for the past little bit.

Changing nozzles is super convenient which makes you wanna do it all the time depending on what you're printing. With significant time savings on the large nozzle without much loss of detail (only rounded corners) it's a real time saver. Also it's nice for tiny things since cura sometimes ignores small details. I do a lot of detailed prints so it's good that there's another solution besides scaling my object bigger to fit the 0.4 nozzle.

Cleaning is also easier. What I do now is set my temp to 90, unscrew the nozzle and you have a perfect atomic pull and clean nozzle to swap out. There is a perfect shape of the internal diameter of the nozzle in PLA sticking out the bottom of the block. I just grab it with pliers and pull it downwards. Usually this results in a clean pull. If it doesn't, the strand would have broken off inside the brass tube. Heat it up to 120 degrees and push a filament strand from the top and pull all the way through once the plug gets dislodged.

You now have a clean nozzle, and a perfectly clean brass tube. The great thing is you can see from the top all the way down with the nozzle removed how clean your brass tube is.

Screw in a new nozzle and you're done!

Lastly to answer your first question, you don't NEED it, but it certainly makes swapping nozzles out easy and you'll find you use it more than you think. It is great for XT and clear materials since you have better translucency with 1 perimeter at 0.8mm vs. 0.4.

• Like 1

Yes the block uses the existing hardware (temp sensor and heater cartridge.) I would highly recommend you also purchase an extra temperature sensor if you're placing an order for PTFE couplers if you intend to swap out to an olsson block.

Thanks for the info, I'll make sure to get an extra temp sensor.

Make sure you push the temp sensor all the way into the Olsson Block so it really sees the true temperature. I could also recommend you to use some copper grease between heater, sensor and Olsson Block.

I've written some instructions on the swap if you need it:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/62-installing-the-olsson-block-kit

• Like 2

I've written some instructions on the swap if you need it:

http://support.3dverkstan.se/article/62-installing-the-olsson-block-kit

Sweet, I will read through that once I get it in. I still need to install your Alternative Feeder, printed that around the time I got my printer, but the printer was toooo new for me to feel comfortable taking parts off. but I think that time as passed, time to MOD.

• Like 1

Yay, just pressed the button and ordered the Olsson Block Kit and Temp Sensor (just in case). :)

Posted (edited) · Olsson Block Starter Kit - Questions (UM2)

Is it recommend that I print one of those Fan Hoods for the Olsson Block?

Such as this one: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-mount-um2-olsson-block

Or if there is an even better one than this one.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Olsson Block Starter Kit - Questions (UM2)

Is it recommend that I print one of those Fan Hoods for the Olsson Block?

Such as this one: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-mount-um2-olsson-block

Or if there is an even better one than this one.

They say it's recommended but there is no real must imo, just make sure the heat block doesn't touch the fan shroud.

I did bend the end of the fan shroud with a pair of pincers so it didn't touch my fan shroud.

Which is working perfectly so far.  Only when I press the filament too hard with an atomic pull I got a heater error. I just turn off and on the UM2 and continue to print. :)

Edited by Guest

... Fan Hoods for the Olsson Block?

They say it's recommended but there is no real must imo, just make sure the heat block doesn't touch the fan shroud.

To help me install mine, I actually set my cell phone to use front camera, then laid it down on the glass printer bed. That way I can make sure I was getting as close to the center of the fan shroud hole as possible during installation. So far (cross fingers) I haven't gotten any warning/error messages.

I think I'll probably print a fan hood as soon as I get the ColorFabb XT (White) in the mail next week. Maybe it will help my 0.8mm and 1mm nozzle prints to come out better ;-)