Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
siddharthakochar

Ideal settings for Cura

Hi all,

I'm new to 3D printing hence am doing a lot of trials.

I've noticed that I have changed some settings and now when I am printing something, the top layer isn't getting printed properly. It is very thin and weak.

So I wanted to know, what are the default settings or ideal settings for a regular print. I understand that the settings will vary from print to print, but some basic guidelines will be really helpful!

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,

Siddhartha

Which version of Cura are you using?

You can increase the "Bottom/Top Thickness" to a multiple of "Layer Height" that works out to more printed layers when closing the top.

For example, to get 6 layers on top with a layer height of 0.2, use bottom/top thickness of 1.2. If your layer height was 0.12 with the same bottom/top thickness of 1.2, you'd get 10 layers closing the top surface.

If you switch to the basic mode, set it to normal, switch back to advanced and answer yes to the question to copy over the settings you'll get a good starting point.

You can also import settings from old gcode via the file menu (on my phone right now so can't check the exact name of the entry, but it should be obvious)

I use 15.02.01 and find it perfect. I also print everything 1.2 shell (on all sides) as i used to have issues with using 0.8. you need to find your sweet spots with the filaments you use and the brand matters depending on what you want to get out of it.

Which version of Cura are you using?

You can increase the "Bottom/Top Thickness" to a multiple of "Layer Height" that works out to more printed layers when closing the top.

For example, to get 6 layers on top with a layer height of 0.2, use bottom/top thickness of 1.2. If your layer height was 0.12 with the same bottom/top thickness of 1.2, you'd get 10 layers closing the top surface.

This works quite well, I might add. I was encountering pillowing on some prints recently and increasing the Bottom/Top thickness worked well.