how to keep the spool from binding during long prints

kerberg

Posted · how to keep the spool from binding during long prints

I've been getting more ambitious and trying prints that take many more hours. sometimes even leaving the machine to run overnight. The biggest issue I have is the spool of filament binding. how can i avoid this? should i pre-cut the length i need an only feed the machine this on a separate empty spool? How do you best keep the spool from tightening upon it self in a tangle??? thanks

Does this happen to you frequently with a new reel you just installed or with filament you stored and use again?

Depending on where you buy your filament, some manufacturers coil up the filament tidier than others which increases (or decreases) the chance of tangled up filament.

What you could do is print something like this to keep your filament from untangling while it is stored.

If it is really bad you could measure and cut the filament you need (keep the length (68cm) of the bowden tube in account too) but that shouldn't have to be necessary.

Really the only time I get tangles on spools (at least on Colorfabb and Ultimaker) is if I accidentally let the end of the filament go in underneath on of the coils on the spool. The thing that Sander linked you to will help avoid that (I've been meaning to print a bunch of those for three years now... *sigh* :p )

Really the only time I get tangles on spools (at least on Colorfabb and Ultimaker) is if I accidentally let the end of the filament go in underneath on of the coils on the spool. The thing that Sander linked you to will help avoid that (I've been meaning to print a bunch of those for three years now... *sigh* :p)

Yes, I can see how these huge prints require some courage and preparation to start. It is more something for the advanced ;)

Been happening recently towards the middle of the spool. I guess for overnight prints i will cut the lentgh i need. Thanks

I am guessing, not sure, that somewhere down the line the filament got loose and uncoiled itself. By putting it back on the reel it probably got tangled up.

It doesn't have to happen, but it can.

Good luck!

I also get a lot of wobbling on the table towards the top 3/4 of the build volume...I have been placing the prints as clise to the back as possible but this limits my size... It would be a nice feature if the machine would slowly ramp down the speed as the height increases to avoid a clear print line from a change in settings... also i wish this feature were dynamic for overhangs so that the code slowed if the overhang increases and ramps back up as the overhang lessens. Really it needs optimization. these prints take forever

How do you mean wobbling?

What is the speed you print at currently?

If you want, we are building a new version of Cura and it is open source so you can contribute with plug ins that have such behaviour.

When the print is at the center of the build plate , there is some deflection so that the table moves slightly up and down, affecting the quality of the print. As the table is only supported from the back the only thing i can imagine is to keep models as close as possible the the back and slow down....I forget what speed this was happening at... Ill keep better notes in the future , now I am printing at 50... and infill at 70-100 or so,

The build plate should move at all!

Maybe the springs are not tight enough? I'd suggest relevelling the build plate, and tighten the 3 springs more before doing it.

Also infill speed at 100 is much maybe you can reduce it to 60 or something, try to avoid big differences in speed as acceleration/deceleration can have negative effects on quality

Yeah, it does vibrate a bit. Not much you can do about it. I've thought about either making a thicker z-platform or adding some sort of bracing to it to make it more solid. Speed is your enemy though, especially when going fast over rough infill, that usually causes things to vibrate pretty bad sometimes.

yes i think optional bracing would be great even if it loses some z height...

Posted (edited) · how to keep the spool from binding during long prints

I wouldnt worry about the shaking, you'll still get perfect prints as the shaking is consistent, seeing as i never use infill its never a real problem for me even if it hits stuff! as for printing off the roll' i do it all the time. If you have a perfectly clean nozzle its ok to print on the roll but then the problem starts when you stop and start still on the roll. Its the one issue you cant solve. I just made an extended holder to hold the coiled filament i measure off. Its almost impossible to get tangles in measured off the roll filament unless you put it on tangled. if you make it look like a perfect spring, it will always print perfectly and with less resistance than on a roll.

If you print on a roll try to always keep it tight after, but again thats no guarantee it will not get tangled. The angle of the feeder to the filament holder is greatly responsible for tangles due to the bad angle when it hits the far end, as its pulling, it often forces filament on the roll to slide under the filament beneath it. Id print a new holder, but i rarely do long prints anymore, and prefer printing off the roll anyday, as it guarantees no tangles.

Edited by Guest

something like this is all you need, nothing wrong with a lo-fi cheap hack.

20151019_021855.thumb.jpg.621dc7823c9041f414f702a9bc28d58c.jpg

and 50mm/s is my standard print speed for almost everything and comes out just fine.

20151019_021855.thumb.jpg.621dc7823c9041f414f702a9bc28d58c.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

I like your style!

I found this long ago for the bed vibrations, never tested it.

Btw took me 30minutes to find it on youmagine :(

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-build-plate-stabilizer

That's a very interesting approach. I might have to steal that idea and do some tests myself.

• Like 1

I find youmagine very disorganised and cant find anything ive posted on that website so ive stopped uploading there completely.

..and yes i find it interesting, and may also give it a try, just to see, it cant. Hurt too much being foam. I just fear that it may come off too easily, i guess its down to testing. May make large plain areas more streak free?

Only 100 odd downloads but the guy says he is already trying something new so may be worth a chat for some beta testing?

Edited by Guest