Printing PEEK with UM2; getting to 330 degrees celsius then...

mchughmp

Posted · Printing PEEK with UM2; getting to 330 degrees celsius then...

Yes but there is a ceramic PT100 sensor wich is rated 600 degree and is fit pefectly to the heater block. The ad597 is not that stable like pt 100.By the way the ceramic pt100 is like 5 EUR and work like charm,

Sergiu

Hey ,

I believe the PT100 sensor for heater is soldered inside capsule, so the melting temp for soldering is for a regular solder 190 Degree,

I made may own PT100 sensor wich have the pins crimped instead of soldering.You may try that, or contact me if you do not have the knowledge to do this and i show you.

Sergiu

I have myself tried printing PEEK using an e3d v6 on a prusa i3. I've found that pt100 sensors will not work at the temperatures you need, and a k type thermocouple is much better. My PT100 sensors kept breaking at 350-400C. What bed temperatures have you been using? I've found that the hotter the better, but can't get past about 150. I'm printing on Kapton tape as it's the only thing i've found that doesn't break down at high temperatures.

Hi Hregfroop;

I too am having trouble with the PT100s now; have gone through three or four of them at this stage; at temperatures above 300 they seem to fail quickly. I am going to try to replace them with another type; I don't suppose you have any knowledge on what would plug directly into the UM2 board and allow higher temperature readings?

All the best,

Mike

Hi Sergiu;

Thanks for the reply;

I managed to install a k type thermocouple so can now measure the higher temperatures :)

But I ordered some thermistor parts rated for high temps, and will try to incorporate them into the UM2 just to see if they work! Crimping seems the way to go, yes, thanks :)

All the best,

Mike

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Printing PEEK with UM2; getting to 330 degrees celsius then...

Here's one of the failed prints, a carabiner:

IMG_3541.thumb.JPG.23b77c5ed6c934e7effd95172989b86f.JPG

IMG_3542.thumb.JPG.ef3175c69d40827699164341cbb522b2.JPG

Hey Mike...

Thanks for your thread... very interesting and bang up to date... are you just keeping us on 'tenterhooks' or have you been so successful that you haven't got time for forums any more :)

Would love to hear a progress report... I'm particularly interested in 3DXTECH'S carbon/PEEK blend so future UM2 hotend 'pimping' is a distinct possibility for me too... can you list/link your parts by any chance... and am I asking too much regards some photos of your upgraded UM2 please.

much luck and regards

(thanks to everyone else with your posts here too)

Edited by Guest

• 3 weeks later...

Here's one of the failed prints, a carabiner:

Hey Mike...

Thanks for your thread... very interesting and bang up to date... are you just keeping us on 'tenterhooks' or have you been so successful that you haven't got time for forums any more :)

Would love to hear a progress report... I'm particularly interested in 3DXTECH'S carbon/PEEK blend so future UM2 hotend 'pimping' is a distinct possibility for me too... can you list/link your parts by any chance... and am I asking too much regards some photos of your upgraded UM2 please.

much luck and regards

(thanks to everyone else with your posts here too)

Hi Artiz;

I got it printing PEEK enough to complete my masters.

Here's a link to the system development:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5czN7u52TZnZEhUN0x4NWFtams

and here's a link to the whole masters:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5czN7u52TZnWE1vRlBPSFEwWGM

The conclusion lists issues, future works etc.

Thanks to everyone who gave me help and advice here :)

I also helped set up a Rapid Prototyping lab with 5 UM2s during my final year for students to use freely; was a great success, good little printers!

Posted (edited) · Printing PEEK with UM2; getting to 330 degrees celsius then...

Hi Artiz;

I got it printing PEEK enough to complete my masters.

Here's a link to the system development:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5czN7u52TZnZEhUN0x4NWFtams

and here's a link to the whole masters:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5czN7u52TZnWE1vRlBPSFEwWGM

The conclusion lists issues, future works etc.

Thanks to everyone who gave me help and advice here :)

I also helped set up a Rapid Prototyping lab with 5 UM2s during my final year for students to use freely; was a great success, good little printers!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Massive congrats getting your Masters Mike... thoroughly deserved too from the obvious amount of work you put into this project.

Big thanks for publishing your results here too... I've downloaded both for future reference. Not too sure I'll be able to crack it on my own but will definitely look at giving it a bash... particularly with the use of your detailed and thoroughly brilliant research posted up here for us all to study and use.

So the answer is yes... with modifications you can indeed print PEEK with an Ultimaker 2

Outstanding thread Mike... respect & regards...

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

@ mchughmp

Hi Michael,

your theisis is VERY interesting to read - thank you for sharing to the community.

Respect, well done :-)

Hey,

im converting an UM 2 just like you did, but i have a problem with the ad597 K-Type. After upload the changed firmware, the temperature of Sensor can be readed only at one value such as 118 degrees and dont change.