why o why again...

frederiekpascal

Posted · why o why again...

Should I upload it remotely to the SD from my UM2 the next time?

Depends. If it stops extruding but keeps moving then it's not the USB issue. If it stops moving all axes for no good reason then suspect the USB.

• Replies 109
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted (edited) · why o why again...

Should I upload it remotely to the SD from my UM2 the next time?

Depends.  If it stops extruding but keeps moving then it's not the USB issue.  If it stops moving all axes for no good reason then suspect the USB.

Ok, the axes never stopped moving imo :)

But for now all looks perfect with the Colorfabb and ICE PLA. I'm going to try faberdashery PLA on spools soon, because too many people compliment that PLA. :D

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

But highly suspicious for your problems is the first line of your start gcode:

M907 E1400 ; increase extruder current

Why do you do this....?

The extruder motor will get much hotter than normal with the increased current.

A good source for grinded filament - i think?

I finally received a reply from S3D support, I asked them why they added this line in the start.gcode and this is their answer : "I believe the 1400 was used in their previous start script."

I have no clue if he's right or not, anyway the line is gone in my gcodes. :D

S3D support line it's just horrible. That line it's hardwritten on the um2 settings even if you install s3d from the scratch...

I love their soft, but the support guys...

Posted (edited) · why o why again...

S3D support line it's just horrible. That line it's hardwritten on the um2 settings even if you install s3d from the scratch...

I love their soft, but the support guys...

I second that, it took them almost 10 days to prepare their 11 words reply. :D

Edited by Guest

That line of code actually sets the motor current above the defaults of even the X-Y axis. I believe we lowered them at some point due to heat issues.

That line of code actually sets the motor current above the defaults of even the X-Y axis. I believe we lowered them at some point due to heat issues.

So it was actually 1400 in the beginning for the UM2? :)

The default for e is 1250 and for xy is 1300 I believe. All of them used to be 1300 (if i recall correctly)

x,y,z has been 1300 and 1250 for e right from the start.

However this year (2015) the Z current was lowered to I believe 1100 and some people recommend going even down to 1000. For some reason the newer PCBs sometimes have the Z driver overheat. Especially in hot climates. i think i said all this in a post above somewhere. For many people having the Z current limited to 1100 or 1000 makes a huge difference. I still have mine at the default.

I tried increasing E current (extruder) years ago and at 1300 it was stronger and I could print faster with less underextrusion. I went up to 1350 and it got worse again. I decided not to mess with E current and it's still at 1250. I'd rather have the stepper skip back than grind the filament.

• Like 1