UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

frederiekpascal

Posted · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

Remember what I said a few times a while ago :

Again, if they are smart marketeers Ultimaker they give an Olsson block for free with the UM2 :-)

Well, they listened cause here it is : https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-2 (FREE OLSSON BLOCK )

Awesome smart move from Ultimaker, way to go! :)

• Like 8

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious....why not pre-install the Olsson block, saving the customer that much more time?

I know it isn't a terribly hard process but hey, pre-installed is nice too!

Posted (edited) · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

Nice, very nice. Olson block 0.6 is my standard nozzle now. If a nozzle is dirty, i simply replace it with a clean one, and clean the dirty nozzle later.

Next suggestion: replace the horrible UM2 feeder by iRoberts fabulous design: https://www.youmagine.com/designs/alternative-um2-feeder-version-two

No lose ends clogging up the feeder. You can open and close the feeder very easily and it's easy to replace if something goes wrong.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2

And my new prediction for the near future is an Ultimaker 2+ (release within 6 months starting from today :D)

Sorry to disagree, but in my opinion you won't have to wait 6 months, as for me the Ultimaker 2+ is just an UM2 with the Olsson block .;)

This is a little big change than will allow me to print tons of new things. Olsson block + Robert's feeder is just what you need to add a "plus" to the UM2!

A small but significant improvement would be to use higher quality bolts. The stainless steel bolts are too weak and the bolt's heads are ruined easily with one slip of the Allen key.

Also, a nice way to get the attention away from my UM2+ prediction. ;)

Nah, it's actually the thing I predict every time someone makes any kind of guess what the next product is going to be ;)

• Like 1

I'm curious....why not pre-install the Olsson block, saving the customer that much more time?

I know it isn't a terribly hard process but hey, pre-installed is nice too!

Could be something that re-sellers offer as a service?

• Like 1

Well I know some have had issues with their installs, spacer not adjusted right, etc. I'd like to avoid those issues and know a genius installed it...so I can go on and print! :)

A small but significant improvement would be to use higher quality bolts. The stainless steel bolts are too weak and the bolt's heads are ruined easily with one slip of the Allen key.

so true, i ordered a spare set of bolts @Ultimaker cause some of them are already turning crazy and have no grip anymore :(

I suppose in order to sell it pre installed ultimaker would need to retake and repay the european/usa tests, like @dim3nsioneer said on some post. That takes time and money. This way it's faster and they include it in the price. Sounds win win.

Retake and Repay what tests?

I'm just thinking as a customer and convenience :)

A lot of Ultimakers are already build and shipped, waiting in our partners warehouse to be shipped to their beloved new user. If we would build them in they would all have to come back, rebuild, reshipped etc. Huge process, like @Neotko says, this is much manageable.

Also, I think it would be good for users to get experienced with the stock Ultimaker equipment before starting to change things. Most documentation and tips are based on a 0.4 nozzle, and I think most of us can relate to the learning curve being steep enough already, without dealing with different nozzle sizes etc.

There are advantages on both ends, but this end is way more manageable.

• Like 1

Also, I think it would be good for users to get experienced with the stock Ultimaker equipment before starting to change things. Most documentation and tips are based on a 0.4 nozzle, and I think most of us can relate to the learning curve being steep enough already, without dealing with different nozzle sizes etc.

True about the different sizes of nozzles for sure. After almost 1000 print hours I still haven't started experimenting with the different sizes. I even haven't tested my stainless and hardened steel versions of the 0.4 mm nozzles I bought.

On the other hand, when users start using the out-of-the-box heatblock and nozzle for some time, there is a big chance they have to change the sensor too. Which is harder than to replace a simple nozzle or even the PTFE...

I hated the part of the Olsson block install-process where I had to change the sensor...

Imo the shop where you buy the UM2 should change it when your printer is brand new and with you standing next to it. That way you'll see the basics of dismantling your precious for the first time. (done by a pro?)

I guess I would need to search and see what is involved in the change over.

There's really no way someone can get one on one support for there printers...I mean, we buy them from local vendors. If they wish to offer the upgrade as a service, good for them. Or, if customers wish to do their own, I hope there is ample documentation for that.

I need an Ultimaker 2 :)