UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

frederiekpascal

Posted · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

Imo the shop where you buy the UM2 should change it when your printer is brand new and with you standing next to it. That way you'll see the basics of dismantling your precious for the first time. (done by a pro?)

We offer that as a (paid) service. But having the customer around when doing it... while it is always fun to talk with new users (they're so enthusiastic!), the time requirement goes up exponentially. I can do the change fairly quick at this point, but if I had a customer there chatting and asking questions at the same time, I bet it would easily take an hour to do. And then the other guys get in on the discussion and all of a sudden you've "wasted" 4 man hours on a simple nozzle change.

• Like 2

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like I should buy mine from you....but being in the United States, I am restricted to resellers here. Will they offer an upgrade service?

My own (shameless self plug :p). It makes a big difference in the cooling performance and reducing heater errors.

Yeah. I've got my eye on these:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mount

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fanmount-blizzard-6718ce34-c069-4204-875f-dc0f15989b53

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-mount-um2-olsson-block

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-shroud

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/support-ventilo-pour-olsson-block-nouvelle-piece-centrale

My criteria:

- The fan mount should print well without support material.

- It should not be any bigger than the original fan mount. Some of the designs out there are larger and require further modifications to make sure that they don't "crash" when approaching the extreme edges of the build area.

- It needs to "cover" the heater block to prevent temperature errors due to airflow on the heater block.

- It needs to have strong mounting tabs. I printed one a while ago and the tabs snapped off before I had a chance to install it.

Any other suggestions?

There is a stainless steel nozzle 0.4mm sold by fbrc8 in the US that can be attached to the Olsson block. Is it ok to use this steel nozzle or I'll be loosing my Ultimaker 2 warranty?

It will not void your warranty. Just be aware that the steel nozzle has worse thermal transfer and PLA has a tendency to stick to it.

Besides, the warranty doesn't really cover consumables like the nozzle in the first place.

• Like 1

Great news for new users but where can existing owners buy the Olsson block?

Any freebies going for loyal UM2 owners?

You can buy it from www.3dsolex.com

And on www.3dsolex.com go on representatives and check out the flagship stores ;)

The standard Fan shroud works well also with the olsson block, just make sure it doesn't touch the block

Retake and Repay what tests?

FCC and CE

• Like 1

Maybe! :O

But I'm not yet gonna tell you.. and neither are @KevinMakes or @FrederiekPascal, since apparently they have psychic powers! :p

• Like 3

First of all, kudos to Ultimaker for doing this (I bought an Olsson bock a while ago). This simply reinforces my confidence in them as a company, and the open-hardware economic model in general.

The fact that Anders was able to market his product in the UM forums (essentially getting free advertising from Ultimaker) ultimately resulted in a really smart decision from Ultimaker.

Secondly, I after I installed the Olsson block I printed a different shroud, and for some reason no longer have to use the fans, even on small pieces. I have no idea why, but I have been printing now for over two months without the fans on, in PLA, nylon and ABS. Yes, I have had some stringing, but that's mainly because the parts I print are generally not considered fit for FDM printing :) (they break every possible rule in several places)

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

My own (shameless self plug :p). It makes a big difference in the cooling performance and reducing heater errors.

Yeah. I've got my eye on these:

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mount

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-fanmount-blizzard-6718ce34-c069-4204-875f-dc0f15989b53

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/fan-mount-um2-olsson-block

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker-2-fan-shroud

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/support-ventilo-pour-olsson-block-nouvelle-piece-centrale

My criteria:

- The fan mount should print well without support material.

- It should not be any bigger than the original fan mount. Some of the designs out there are larger and require further modifications to make sure that they don't "crash" when approaching the extreme edges of the build area.

- It needs to "cover" the heater block to prevent temperature errors due to airflow on the heater block.

- It needs to have strong mounting tabs. I printed one a while ago and the tabs snapped off before I had a chance to install it.

Any other suggestions?

Those were my criteria as well. My mounting bracket fits within the stock fan mounting bracket "area" and does not require any modifications. It also covers the heater block and the tabs are plenty thick enough (my first attempt was to thin).

As for printing well I've only printed it with ColorFabb XT-CF20 but it prints beautifully without supports. I would think that regular XT would work as well but my suggestion would be XT-CF20. The plastic shroud also helps eliminate annoying vibration noises.

Edited by Guest

I wish i had known about this offer.

I just bought an Ultimaker 2 last week and colorfabb xt cf20.

Wish i had that offer with my purchase.

• Like 1

So, I wrote a long reply a day ago, but this forum-thing happily ate it all when I was about to post it.. say no more..

Anyway, I would first like to mention that Carl (swordriff) did at least 90% of the work up until Ultimaker started talking about shipping the olsson block it with the printer. Marketing, sales and manufacturing is much more time consuming than designing things after all, lets not forget about that.

Then, when approaching Ultimaker, 3DVerkstan played a key role.

Without Carl and 3DVerkstan this thread most likely would never have existed!

For me the heater block was just a small thing that I had to do to get on with more important stuff, like the boron carbide printing.

What is fun and slightly annoying at the same time is that this small thing that I spent not more that two days in total on designing gets so popular. And then I can spend years building spectrometers and other scientific instruments and no one seems to care even slightly.. But that is life I guess and I am very happy that so many people can experience the feeling of freedom that I remember feeling first time I mounted a nozzle in the prototype-block :)

Now, if I could just get that old community back I would be even more happy..

I most likely would not have been able to get the Olsson block project done as the community looks today. The old forum had just about enough coverage among advanced users to be able to run these kind of community projects.

So, one problem fixed, a new problem created, that is how I see it..

This problem I seem to be unable to fix though..

• Like 7

Maybe! :O

But I'm not yet gonna tell you.. and neither are @KevinMakes or @FrederiekPascal, since apparently they have psychic powers! :p

Since I have psychic powers do I get free olsson block with my previous ulti2 purchase?

if you feel so inclined to lay gifts at my future predicting feet I will humbly accept an ultimaker2 extended for home use lmao. :D

I wish i had known about this offer.

I just bought an Ultimaker 2 last week and colorfabb xt cf20.

Wish i had that offer with my purchase.

Return it an buy it again LMAO (dont do this)

@sandervG

• Like 1

I was just checking Makershed and don't see any mention of the Olsson Block, but they do at Dynamism

For people in the US, you can also get an Olson Block Kit (comes with 4 nozzles) from fbrc8.com. I just ordered the kit + spare temp sensor from them last week. Now I'm just a enjoying my awesome upgrade.

http://fbrc8.com/collections/3rd-party-parts-upgrades

I designed one...and it melted... what is the suggested material for these airflow directing masterpieces?

I think the Kapton tape has the purpose of heat protection. And off course you have to use high-temp resistant filament, like Colorfabb XT.

• Like 1