UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

frederiekpascal

Posted · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

The Kapton tape does help reflect some of the heat. Also Colorfabb XT-CF20 would be my preferred material. The added carbon content helps prevent deformation due to heat and helps "insulate" the plastic. Regular XT may hold up just fine but if you have the option, go with the XT-CF20, oh and make sure you buy a hardened steel nozzle as well. I actually use the steel nozzle for both XT-CF20 and regular XT.

• Replies 156
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Kapton tape does help reflect some of the heat. Also Colorfabb XT-CF20 would be my preferred material. The added carbon content helps prevent deformation due to heat and helps "insulate" the plastic. Regular XT may hold up just fine but if you have the option, go with the XT-CF20, oh and make sure you buy a hardened steel nozzle as well. I actually use the steel nozzle for both XT-CF20 and regular XT.

I have Cfxt 20 and I believe you can find my post here

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17601-colorfabb-woodfill-testing-and-a-few-others?page=1&sort=#reply-120191

I also will not be using a stainless steel nozzle because I dont want to machine the tiny little nozzle to fit our needs

What settings do you use for the hardened steel nozzle combined with the CF20? Speed, layer height, temp, ....

cheers

• Like 1

What settings do you use for the hardened steel nozzle combined with the CF20? Speed, layer height, temp, ....

cheers

Well with the gear feeder and fan shroud I using:

Material Settings:

Print Temp: 240C

Bed Temp: 70C

Fan Speed 50-100% (Depending on part size and detail)

Cura Settings:

Layer Height: 0.12mm-0.1mm

Print Speed: 40-50mm/s

Initial Layer Thickness: 0.24mm

Initial Layer Line Width: 110%

Full Fan On Height: 6.0mm

I also use a diluted PVA (elmers glue)/water blend on the bed to help with adhesion.

Good descussion on printing with XT-CF20 here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/17159-printing-with-colorfabb-xt-cf20-um2?page=unread#unread

Posted (edited) · UM2 starts shipping with Olsson block included!

I am right in the middle of replacing my hot end, heater unit, temp sensor and PTFE coupler. It sounds like many of you would advise just switching to the Olsson Block instead.  The whole reason I have to replace the heater cartridge and temp sensor is because they basically fused themselves to the nozzle.  Might be nice to switch or clean nozzles and not worry about breaking or screwing up other parts that were functioning before.

Edited by Guest

I am right in the middle of replacing my hot end, heater unit, temp sensor and PTFE coupler. It sounds like many of you would advise just switching to the Olsson Block instead.  The whole reason I have to replace the heater cartridge and temp sensor is because they basically fused themselves to the nozzle.  Might be nice to switch or clean nozzles and not worry about breaking or screwing up other parts that were functioning before.

for sure switch to an Olsson block when you need to replace the hot end :)

• Like 1

So, does that news mean Ultimaker is not going to release any new nozzle by themselves ?. As the dual-nozzle head is now out of question I would hope Ultimaker would offer some upgrade. It seems we will never see that upgrade.

I would urge ultimaker to come out with a "dual feed 1.75" "single extrusion" .4 and such and a much larger dual feed 1.75" "single extrusion" 1.5 ishmm nozzle. I know it sounds silly at first read, but consider that thought for a minute. If you know much about thermodynamics you will see what my point is.

• Like 2

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

Untitled.thumb.png.26dea68fee5dacb2a950f16337b46af4.png

@KevinMakes: Do you fear a radial temperature gradient and therefore imhomogeneous extrusion with a single 2.85mm extrusion?

For me, a pressure controlled hotend is something like the holy grail of hotends.

@luisito: I doubt it. Maybe for an UM3. But not for the UM2, I think. They might however do a continous deal with 3dSolex about the Olsson Block and the JET nozzles.

Edited by Guest

I would urge ultimaker to come out with a "dual feed 1.75" "single extrusion" .4 and such and a much larger dual feed 1.75" "single extrusion" 1.5 ishmm nozzle. I know it sounds silly at first read, but consider that thought for a minute. If you know much about thermodynamics you will see what my point is.

Would make for interesting atomic pulls :)

This is ok for 2 color prints or using materials that require the same printing temps. But has limited flexibility. Even different colors or brands of PLA can require different Temps to get them to print really nice.

• Like 1

As the dual-nozzle head is now out of question I would hope Ultimaker would offer some upgrade. It seems we will never see that upgrade.

I also bought the Ultimaker for its purported dual-head upgrade but have become resigned to the fact that they pushed the current design to the limits. If you want to maintain the same printable area, then making it dual-head is not going to be practical without a major modification to the overall design.

Bear in mind the the only real goal of Ultimaker, like every viable business, is to make a profit. There is nothing wrong with that - we actually need Ultimaker to make a profit if we want newer, shinier toys to play with. So, it's not in their financial interests to make good in any way on the dual-head story since I don't think it affected sales at all.

It was a lesson learned for them, which is a good thing as well. Now they are far more cautious about announcing anything until they are well and truly ready to go ahead with it. They are a young company, and learning the ropes on the job. Help them to help yourself - come up with a constructive idea and post it here in the forums.

• Like 3

Dear Ultimaker,

When we release something like dual extrusion, we don't want to make any compromise in quality and experience.

and yet you guys compromised the quality and experience of the UM2 for the dual-extruder.... that isn't coming out... ever...

You guys really claim to set the standard for the industry, and yet you guys give up so easily. We want to hear that you guys are running into problems but are working hard to resolve it, not that you simply gave up.

Where there's a will, there's a way

If we can put a man on the moon, then we can be damn sure that we can put dual extruders on a UM2

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

And if you guys simply refuse the work on the dual extruder.... I don't know what to say other than promises can be legally binding. If not that, then an exchange for the broken promise. Perhaps a return/refund, or a free Olsson block for UM2 owners. You guys are already giving it away to new customers. Why not heal the scars of the dual extruder with an Olsson block? The way I see it, its only fair.

• Like 1

Hi @Craftee, thank you for your contribution.

I would appreciate it if we could stay on topic, if you want to talk about the development on dual extrusion we have dedicated topics for this. If you want to talk about how or why the upgrade didn't make it to the Ultimaker 2 we can talk there and I will happily explain.

If you want to have a chance on getting an Olsson Block without buying it we host a Community contest for a couple of weeks where you can win one! We just started yesterday.

Good luck and looking forward seeing your entry :)

In reaction to https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-olsson-block-fan-mount – the second version – i started printing the thing.

5a33138296fd3_Schermafbeelding2015-11-10om18_21_48.png.7d250211bcebb6571392ea0ef4bd614a.png

I also printed the https://www.youmagine.com/designs/deflecteur-1p for better cooling of the white insulator, but also for better cooling the alumium thing that holds it all together.

5a3313827beb7_Schermafbeelding2015-11-10om18_22_33.png.46737aee733e02b9c6648f8c3a8009a0.png

Now heat is a problem with objects around the Olson block. Solving it with black graphite stuff and kapton tape is in my opinion first enlarging the problem and then solving it.

Most of the heat near the Olsson block that really reaches the fan mount is by radiaton, as conduction is almost impossible (no contact and insulating XT) and current is solved by the fans. So using black graphite is the best way to absorb all of the radiated heat and making it worse.

In stead i used transparant XT (Colorfabb) which gives a transparant whitish result. So this reflects or lets the radiated heat through. That was the thought, next to the fact that i did have the transparant XT and not the black stuff...

Results: wow, wow, wow. The thing has been printing now for two days. No heat problems, but a way better printing result because of the optimal cooling. I speeded up by 35% and no difference.

DSC00100.thumb.JPG.ef8069b141a96d328de06f030d215d30.JPG

I can recommend this thing to anyone using the Olsson block. Let's put them together and call them the Olsson twins...

5a33138296fd3_Schermafbeelding2015-11-10om18_21_48.png.7d250211bcebb6571392ea0ef4bd614a.png

5a3313827beb7_Schermafbeelding2015-11-10om18_22_33.png.46737aee733e02b9c6648f8c3a8009a0.png

DSC00100.thumb.JPG.ef8069b141a96d328de06f030d215d30.JPG

Edited by Guest
    • Like 5

Ill give the contest a shot :)

• Like 1

About the Colorfabb XT fan mount...

Printed Nylon today at 250 C nozzle and 100 C glass plate. The fan mount does not get hot during the warming up – i can easily touch it when temp reaches 250.

After printing the first layer (without the cooling fans) there was a small deformation at the front, a bit left from the nozzle. Nothing more. No deformation at the bottom.

I actually believe that is caused by the heat of the glass while fans were not running. As the glass was heated at 100 C.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Dear Ultimaker,

When we release something like dual extrusion, we don't want to make any compromise in quality and experience.

and yet you guys compromised the quality and experience of the UM2 for the dual-extruder.... that isn't coming out... ever...

You guys really claim to set the standard for the industry, and yet you guys give up so easily. We want to hear that you guys are running into problems but are working hard to resolve it, not that you simply gave up.

Where there's a will, there's a way

If we can put a man on the moon, then we can be damn sure that we can put dual extruders on a UM2

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again

And if you guys simply refuse the work on the dual extruder.... I don't know what to say other than promises can be legally binding. If not that, then an exchange for the broken promise. Perhaps a return/refund, or a free Olsson block for UM2 owners. You guys are already giving it away to new customers. Why not heal the scars of the dual extruder with an Olsson block? The way I see it, its only fair.

You have to hand it to Ultimaker, they did not officially relase the dual extrusion but they did leave behind the tools nessicary to do it yourself, (the dual extrusion firmware that was buried in the cura program files) the open space for all the hardware you would need for dual extrusion. its super simple. If you would like a personal walk through on the process I would be glad to give you any assistance necessary to get you up and running. If that is something you are interested in Please feel free to email me at K.I.Sturge@gmail.com

@KevinMakes: Do you fear a radial temperature gradient and therefore imhomogeneous extrusion with a single 2.85mm extrusion?

For me, a pressure controlled hotend is something like the holy grail of hotends.

Lol big words. No I think that the standard single extruder does just fine until you try extruding the volume that I do, and that is why I designed the hotend to have a more venn diagram type of temperature gradient. I would just hope the temperature in the center on the new model would be amplified by the two hotends, and with the thermistors on the outside but slighly closer to the elements than the flue for the filament should mimic the value of the temperature of the flue, however the firmware portion with the gradient rules that control the elements would definitely have to go.

we already have a sort of pressure controlled extruder with the basic hotend, you just have to do the math to get that pressure. However the shape of the interrior of the basic hotend could use some work to direct the pressure.

This is ok for 2 color prints or using materials that require the same printing temps. But has limited flexibility. Even different colors or brands of PLA can require different Temps to get them to print really nice.

the purpose of the two filaments is having a wider (volume) window of available "glass point" material to increase the potential max print volume (thus Speed)

the purpose of the two filaments is having a wider (volume) window of available "glass point" material to increase the potential max print volume (thus Speed)

Speed is good.

The problem lies with the bigger heat zone, this creates more plastic expansion, thus more oozing and longer retract lengths. Not an issue on all prints but not ideal for a general purpose printer.

• Like 1

Clear polycarbonate also makes an excellent material for a fan shroud. You can print it (slowly) at 260C on a UM2. Mine hasn't deformed or turned brown after dozens of hours printing ABS, unlike the XT and other materials I've tried.

Dim3nsioneer:

You can have a (calculated) pressure-controlled extruder with the latest Slic3r.

It has a new feature that adjusts speed dynamically as a function of the planned extrusion volume, as I understand it.

It's called Autospeed, on the Print Settings/Speed tab.  Play with it and start a topic, please.

Edited by Guest

Innovative idea

Nice promo!

@eldrick: Thanks for the hint. May I ask where you got the polycarbonate filament from? I'm looking for some PC filament in 2.85mm...