Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
swq0603

Did the ultimaker support shut down automatically?

No It doesn't have this function.

When the print is finished it will cool down but stayed powered on.

If I am to leave it and the print will finish when i'm away then I normally turn the LED's off. this can be done when the machine is printing under TUNE, and set LED's to 0%. You can also set it so the LED's turn off automatically when the printer is finished or to do different things under expert settings on the printer.

or you could get a power point timer and have it switch off after a set time. I always add an extra 30mins on the timer just encase.

Thanks for your long explaination. It is really helpful. You just mentioned that you can have it switch off after a set time. So how to do this? Does the ultimaker support this function or need I modify the firmware? I just do not want the machine power on all the time until I turn off it. Thanks a lot!

Thanks,

Vincent

If I am to leave it and the print will finish when i'm away then I normally turn the LED's off. this can be done when the machine is printing under TUNE, and set LED's to 0%. You can also set it so the LED's turn off automatically when the printer is finished or to do different things under expert settings on the printer.

or you could get a power point timer and have it switch off after a set time. I always add an extra 30mins on the timer just encase.

I think Labern's only talking about the LED's shutting off, not the printer itself.

However it's totally fine to leave it on. Once the print is finished the heated bed and printhead cools down and the stepper motors turn off, so essentially its idle, like a computer in screen saver mode. It's on, but it's not really doing anything.

I leave prints overnight all the time and come back to a finished print in the morning (or over a few days...)

Thanks for your long explaination. It is really helpful. You just mentioned that you can have it switch off after a set time. So how to do this? Does the ultimaker support this function or need I  modify the firmware? I just do not want the machine power on all the time until I turn off it. Thanks a lot!

Thanks,

Vincent

• Like 1

Yes, I found that the motor , the hot end, the hot bed and the PWM fan can stop working when the printing finish, but the 5v fan working all the time. So I am not sure whether it is ok for this fan work for a so long time.

Thanks,

Vincent

I think Labern's only talking about the LED's shutting off, not the printer itself.

However it's totally fine to leave it on. Once the print is finished the heated bed and printhead cools down and the stepper motors turn off, so essentially its idle, like a computer in screen saver mode. It's on, but it's not really doing anything.

I leave prints overnight all the time and come back to a finished print in the morning (or over a few days...)

Thanks for your long explaination. It is really helpful. You just mentioned that you can have it switch off after a set time. So how to do this? Does the ultimaker support this function or need I  modify the firmware? I just do not want the machine power on all the time until I turn off it. Thanks a lot!

Thanks,

Vincent

I am using the ultimaker2 and I found the mainboad version is V2.1.1. From the diagram, I found that the small fan is connedcted to 5v power directly. So it is not under the control of the microprocessor. So how to make it turns off when it cools down to 40deg. There is a update for the mainboad after V2.1.1 , right?

Yes the small fan can run for hours.

how old is your printer? the new ones the small fan turns off when it cools down to 40deg

I have the older ones, and the small fan runs for a long time. I haven't had one die yet through natural operation.

(But I have killed one accidentally when I took apart the shroud, and the corner of the shroud hit the fan breaking a blade off. This imbalanced the whole thing and made it noisy and induced a lot of vibration. But it still worked. It was just annoying loud.) Be careful when doing modifications/repairs.

From the diagram, I found that the small fan is connedcted to 5v power directly. So it is not under the control of the microprocessor.  So how to make it  turns off when it cools down to 40deg.

@mnis has submitted a reliable solution for the 5V fan  nearly a year ago.

Perhaps it's time to reawaken his brilliant idea?

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

From the diagram, I found that the small fan is connedcted to 5v power directly. So it is not under the control of the microprocessor.  So how to make it  turns off when it cools down to 40deg.

@mnis has submitted a reliable solution for the 5V fan  nearly a year ago.

Perhaps it's time to reawaken his brilliant idea?

Holy that rocks!

Hi Labern,

One more question.:)I look into the circuit diagram of the mainboard v2.1.4. I found the big change is that the 5v small fan is under the control of the microprocessor. Also there are some resistors added to the output of the A4988, right? I am a little curious what is the reason of it? Besides these 2 differences, there seems no big change between the v2.1.4 and the v2.1.1. is that correct?

xmotor.JPG.c89115fca41ae2a27cfce259539701b4.JPG

yip, that one or UM2 extended

xmotor.JPG.c89115fca41ae2a27cfce259539701b4.JPG