Another Ultimaker 2 heated bed issue

mls

Posted (edited) · Another Ultimaker 2 heated bed issue

IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.66b8e99e2ed95323806c9353b082a4c3.JPG

After de-soldering the heater bed from the wiring attachment, I can see why so many people are having trouble with the heat sensor: The heated bed is substandard in it's construction. As you can see, the wires from the board rip away with the wiring bracket, leaving no contact to the board whatsoever. These boards are not constructed properly.

You can see in the image the yellow plastic where strong metal contact should be. The circuit on the board is printed too cheaply to work with such a high force wire bracket.

IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.66b8e99e2ed95323806c9353b082a4c3.JPG

Edited by Guest

Posted · Another Ultimaker 2 heated bed issue

What country are you in zxen. I have different advice depending on the country.

Anyway I never heard of "ER02". There's 3 heater related errors I think. They are something like:

Heater error

error stopped - temp sensor

error stopped - bed temp sensor

They are very different errors and caused by different things but I'm going to guess the "bed" one since you took that apart. Still if you are getting one of the other 2 then you took the wrong thing apart - sorry.

Building marlin is quite difficult. I used to have instructions but they no longer work so I don't know how to build it anymore. Besides if the problem is in the bed itself, rebuilding marlin wont' help.

The temp sensor in the bed is a PT100 part. Unlike other types of temp sensors, all PT100 parts have an identical curve so you can get any brand, any manufacturer and they all have the same temp curve (resistance to temp curve). So measure the resistance - it should be about 108 ohms at room temp. If it's within 10 ohms of that then it's probably working. Measure at several places to figure out where it is failing.

My bed had a problem early on - within the first 100 prints. I did what you did - removed the terminal block and resoldered all 4 connections. It has been fine for years since then and never had to do anything since.

You're lucky. The solder acts like wax on a hairy leg and rips the weak metal terminal right off the board. The circuit board on the heater bed has been printed with thin metal onto the heater bed and the terminals should be robust conductor holes for screws, not weak metal lining. I would say from my testing that this weak metal connection is what is causing these boards to require constant screw tightening by many people with the ER02 error.

IMG_4988.thumb.JPG.c410d87187874bcf632f2ab1502d82ae.JPG

IMG_4988.thumb.JPG.c410d87187874bcf632f2ab1502d82ae.JPG

Posted (edited) · Another Ultimaker 2 heated bed issue

As a moderator, you would be in contact with the developers. Please advise them that the heavy gauge wiring attached to the heated bed in conjunction with the constant movement warrants robust screw terminals rather than flimsy printed on solder points. This simple modification in the new board ought to solve 99% of customer's ER02 issues.

China_Battery_Protection_Circuit_Board_for_7_4V_Power_Tool20128131019466.thumb.jpg.02e38828d74a1aae1f2721364075312e.jpg

Example image of robust screw terminals

China_Battery_Protection_Circuit_Board_for_7_4V_Power_Tool20128131019466.thumb.jpg.02e38828d74a1aae1f2721364075312e.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Anyway I never heard of "ER02".

In more recent firmware versions some of the error messages are amended by a (short-) link to the corresponding troubleshooting webpage. That's what these numbers are good for:

These are shortcuts to a specific page from this list:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/troubleshooting/error-messages

There are instructions for (DIY) diagnose and a lot of pictures. Very handy - just in case...

Yes - I just went there after seeing the screenshot. Nice but could be better. Could talk about solder reflowing and testing with multimeter but at least you get to diagnose whether it's the PCB or not.

You make a good point about making the traces stay on the board more strongly. @coen is the guy who designed the PCB and also I'm guessing the heated bed but possibly that was someone else. He takes seriously advice like this although it could be a year before the current stock is used up and the next version comes out. Still it's worth bringing this topic to him:

@coen - notice how easy it would be to rip up traces on the heated bed when pulling on the terminal block and how much stronger something like in the photo above would be!

Ha... a year of stock !!!! You have seriously low trust in ultimaker supply chain ;)