Rejuvenating filament?

izzy

Posted · Rejuvenating filament?

We're totally offtopic here....

The x-carve and shapeoko have the same background, basically (mechanically) the x-carve is more a shapeoko2. The shapeoko3 is mechanically much heavier/sturdier.

My machine is on on it's way for delivery next week, just paid fedex the tax... I'll start a thread in the coffee corner when I managed to put it all together...

Sorry Arjan maar ik denk dat deze de mijne wordt.

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/

Mijn engels is ook via googl-translate verschrikkelijk.

We're totally offtopic here....

The x-carve and shapeoko have the same background, basically (mechanically) the x-carve is more a shapeoko2. The shapeoko3 is mechanically much heavier/sturdier.

My machine is on on it's way for delivery next week, just paid fedex the tax... I'll start a thread in the coffee corner when I managed to put it all together...

Sorry Arjan maar ik denk dat deze de mijne wordt.

https://www.stepcraft-systems.com/

Mijn engels is ook via googl-translate verschrikkelijk.

Back on topic, I have PLA from 123inkt with the same problem, after the hot water method goes back several feet well, but then the PLA breaks down again even after a halt on the reel at the UM2.

That old blue pla from um is the best filament ever imho, i bought some more of a dude on ebay a while back, but cant get any more, the new um blue does not serve my purposes, if anyone has any pre 2015 um blue or any other colour um filament, id buy it off you, please PM me.

Sure, thats fine of course, it's just I like the openness of the Shapeoko, ability to use any software you want. Easy to get spareparts, if you want to replace the elctronics for another board, super easy..... I just started building this evening and the machine feels super solid.

Also the Carbide3d people seem pretty responsive & ordering and shipping went very smooth...

I had almost forgotten about the spool of super brittle faberdashery I had 'rejuvenated' about 3 months ago. The spool has been sitting on my workbench unpacked since. I printed with it yesterday and it worked. It's still pretty ok after 3 months, not to brittle, better than it was before the heating. There is a huge amount of tension in the material, I think with the "old" feeder it would have been a problem, comparable with printing the last filament on a spool. With the new UM2+ feeder it printed ok. So it actually works... but it's easier not to buy to much filament at a time, and don't let it get to old...

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Rejuvenating filament?

Ive never had filament break on me, no matter how old or where ive left it.

Possibly another advantage of printing off the roll?

Edited by Guest

Don't think this has anything to do with printing off the roll, it's really a physical thing. In this case it was faberdashery, kept in the original seal-bag. Still it became very brittle. I have never had it with colorfabb, maybe because it's softer in general...

True, colorfabb is soft and is the only filament brand ive ever used. Apart from um.

20160419_152928.thumb.jpg.d2be1d785b06f2f8d30df63f5776500b.jpg

I just got a food dehydrator to try and rejuvenate old filament. I haven 't tried it yet on filament but I did give it a go with some old desiccant packs and it completely dried them out in about 6 hours. I'll report back when I have time to try it on filament itself.

20160419_152928.thumb.jpg.d2be1d785b06f2f8d30df63f5776500b.jpg

• Like 1