ultimaker original best heated bed?

Posted · ultimaker original best heated bed?

I am looking for a heated bed for my ultimaker original. but i think that the one that is being sold at the ultimaker store is to expensive. There are a lot of possibilities on the internet but what is the best one?

It's a lot of work to create your own. The one from Ultimaker is amazing because it completely rebuilds the platform which was the weakest part - before the upgrade I was releveling between every print. Now I can level once and a month later it's still fine even after removing the glass and putting it back in. Even after wacking pretty hard to get prints off the bed when they stick extra well.

It's a huge improvement that you wont get with just the heat part.

I researched doing my own and the experimentation factor is pretty high.

I bought the upgrade and am going to install it soon. I work weekends so my free time hasn't been much lately.

I would suggest you re-consider and go with something that was tested extensively and well documented. Sometimes spending a little more saves you a lot of troubleshooting later

Posted (edited) · ultimaker original best heated bed?

There was a kit sold on ebay by a guy here on the forums, Jason_HK is his username, if you search for it I'm sure you'll find it...

I have that kit, and I'm very very happy with my current setup - However, I made quite a lot of other changes as well, like converting the whole system to 24V, and running off a different electronics platform (Rumba), which is probably needed to make it work really well...

It was however designed to be used with the UMO, but you need to use a switching relay, and a stronger power supply.

Since you would connect the heatbed to the PSU via the relay and not through the board, you can actually choose to have a seperate PSU just for the HB, it can then run eg. 24V and thereby heat faster, while the printer is still running 19V of its normal PSU).

I think its the heatbed itself is somewhat the same as this (the kit included more pieces like the relay itself, and I also got some borosilicate glass to put on top):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Heated-Bed-Kit-Aluminium-Plate-with-Temperature-Sensor-for-Ultimaker-3D-Printers-/221520299135?hash=item3393a3847f:g:rKgAAOSwVFlT6Jd1

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1