dual extrusion - what's needed?

Posted · dual extrusion - what's needed?

Has anyone tried eliminating oozing by turning the printer upside-down? I've seen one print while suspended from a corner. Off hand i can't think of anything else affected by gravity besides the oozing... I'm thinking get a print started, let it run for the first few layers and then flip it onto a stand (like the spacer I saw at NYMF only higher).

Kyle

Gravity is only giving F=ma

which is F=mx9.81

think about the mass of plastic in the little dribble of ooze....you are talking about

pathetically tinny forces compared to the residual elastic strain in the filament in the bowden

forcing out the ooze.

By all means try it but I think it will probably help about 5% for 200% effort

Has anyone tried eliminating oozing by turning the printer upside-down? I've seen one print while suspended from a corner. Off hand i can't think of anything else affected by gravity besides the oozing... I'm thinking get a print started, let it run for the first few layers and then flip it onto a stand (like the spacer I saw at NYMF only higher).

Kyle

We flipped a printer here yesterday, which helps in getting the production robots of the platform, but the prints look exactly the same. There is still the bit of the standard oozing between the horns.

The dual extrusion kit was up for sale in the parts section a few weeks ago, yet for some reason its now missing? was there a problem with the upgrade

Mistake on our side, someone was filling in new entries already, just pre-preparation. By mistake it showed up. And there are still some problems that need to be solved before we can really sell it. Also, there are higher priorities right now, like getting Cura 12.10 released.

*waits patiently*

DUAL EXTRUSION!!!

Daid,

Only because I don't know any better, do you know if UM is working on a HBP kit? I've never been much of an electronics guy (design and craft myself) and I'd never trust my own handy work if it has to do with heat and potential fire hazards in the house. @.@

Thanks again,

Warmest Regards,

Ben

Any updates on when the kit will be available?

Thank you,

Kyle

We are working on a timeline, as well as changing a few other production and development processes, have just a new version of the kit out (with updated wooden parts). So I cannot say right now as too much is happening at once.

Note that dual extrusion is very experimental, and so far my results have been "ok" but not "great".

Thanks for the update, it's still on my wish list.

Kyle

Hi Daid,

I just read this posted by you on google groups forum, regarding "beta testing dual extrusion kit"

"Which comes down to about 200 euro in parts (sell price) we have send out a few of these for initial testing"

I didnt know UM had already been sending people this kit, can you please arrange for one and I will pay. I tried

to PM you on this new forum but it says "the member Daid cannot accept personal messages" so I have to

post here to communicate.

Can you arrange this please?

Regards

C.

Hi Guys,

I am not so lucky to be one of those guys with a full kit, but i finally got all the needed parts sourced (only some from UM)

Are we going to have some kind of how-to on dual extrusion one day or whats your plan?

Since my PCB seems to have a bad soldering-point on the connector of "head 2" i lost some time and i really could need some "professional" help on the leveling-process of the two heads.

On the other side it would be great to know how to handle the process on the software-side.

I know that Cura can do it, but what are the (best/better) alternatives?

@Daid: What software have you been using for the cool dragon you did some time ago

And finally do the kits ultimaker started to sell differ in any how?

A new peek insulator could do the job for me and my leveling problem if it would be variable in higth in some way

Great work so far! Good night and good luck!

p.s.: daid: is cura slower while being in the "dual-print mode" or is it due to cura 13 that it takes longer for slicing? don t get me wrong i am still just working with one nozzle but tried our the dual mode

p.p.s.: As soon as i got some spare time, i am up to a dual-extruder-friendly fan shroud.

Very interesting topic because I also waiting for an dual-extrusion upgrade. I bought the printer particularly for some parts I designed in the past but unfortunately they can't be printed without any support.

I'm curious when the time has come and UM is ready to publish the upgrade.

The last days I developed a fan duct for two fans based on two V2 hotends. The ducts are for 40mm fans with a distance between the screws of 32mm. I decided to use two Noiseblocker BlackSilent fans (http://www.blacknoise.com/de/products/it/12/Noiseblocker-NB_BlackSilentFan_40mm).

Maybe that implementation can solve some problems. I really paid attention that the construction collide nowhere.

It's just theory at this moment because I have not printed it till now. But I will give it a first try in the next days.

doublefanductfront.th.jpg

doublefanductback.th.jpg

doublefanductbottom.th.jpg

Hi Daid,

I stumbled across this old thread. I was wondering if there are any updates on an offiicial upgrade kit?

I am building one. The Extruder parts are fine, but a set with the bowden, hotend required parts, thermocouple + pcb would be great!

Ollie.

Hello Daid,

Are there any special problems with adding a second extruder with an unheated extrusion head? I am building a paste extruder, similar to http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25195 but with flexible tubing to transport the paste to a syringe tip on the extrusion head, like a bowden tube.

I am picking up a Pololu A4988, Black Edition, and a SOYO SY42STH47-1504A motor, but I don't know if Cura and/or the Ulticontroller will need any tweaking to work without a heater or thermocouple associated with extruder #2 connected to the Ultimaker PCB (v1.5.6). Do you have any concerns with my choice of driver or motor?

Thanks,

Jeff

Does anyone know the specification of the JST connector for the motors, and a supplier in North America? The motor I have has bare wires. Going on Ebay, I am finding a confusing plethora of 4-way JST connectors, none looking quite like the ones on the stock UM motors.

Thank you Owen. I just looked at the thread. (I've got to remember to keep checking the Google Groups threads, as well as here, for these tips.) I do think that the answer Taylor provided is not quite right, though. He links to JSX-XH 2S connectors, which are 3 pin. Jelle's comment set me on the right path. It looks like the 4 pin JSX-XH 3S connectors are the right ones.

I have installed a second extruder motor to push paste. For the stepper driver I went with a standard Pololu A4988, and added a heat sink to it. I had to cut away some of the origami cooling duct and loosen the screws a bit to get the electronics cover back on over the new stepper driver and heat sink. Now I assume I have to rebuild the Marlin firmware to make it aware of the second extruder. Are there any code changes aside from changing #define EXTRUDERS in Configuration.h to 2? Given that this is for a paste extruder, do I need to do anything to tell the firmware and the UltiController not to bother with checking for a hot end temp? I assume that illuminarti's write-up here (http://umforum.ultimaker.com/index.php?/topic/2026-how-to-build-your-own-marlin/) is the best and latest build instruction, right?

1) Turn on the 2nd heater (Configuration.h)

2) Turn on the 2nd extruder (Configuration_adv.h)

all info on this can be found here:

http://www.calumdouglas.ch/ultimaker-3d-printer/adding-dual-extrusion-to-ultimaker/

Actually getting the slicer to make proper code to work with this (that actually works well) is another matter....haha

As far as this applies to a paste setup, I have no idea....someone else will need to

help with that. I dont know how the system will react to using the 2nd motor

but not recieving any temps. Perhaps you can fool it by setting 2nd extruder temp

to 0 degrees..I dont know.

Long time no post...

Returning to this thread with the need for help does not feel as good as it usually does.

After being able to get the Dual Extrusion working on my own (the thread was a really big help ;p ) a few month ago, i finally "upgraded" to the official kit.

Thanks to Merrit the transition was almost painless as ultimaker sent me all the new wooden parts + the black injection molded clamp holder from the kit.

The only thing missing at the moment are the two corrugated springs that i could not source yet.

And that's exactly where i need the help of the Community! Has anybody any idea what kind of springs are used and where i might find them ?

Found this on German Ebay:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/10-Edelstahl-V2A-Nirosta-Din-137-Federscheiben-M6-/120772720420?pt=DE_Haus_Garten_Heimwerker_Eisenwaren&hash=item1c1e9d7724

It´s a corrugated spring for M6 (Id is 6.4mm and outer 11mm) think they might be right.

What do you guys think?

For those of you who where early adopters + live in germany (snowy?)

this:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Schnellverbinder-Fitting-Steckverbinder-1-4-Zoll-Wasserschlauch-2Stk-SBS-/181165965447?pt=Wasser_Aufbereitung&hash=item2a2e554087

and that:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PTFE-TUBE-METRIC-6-35MM-X-3-17MM-PER-MTR-WORLDWIDE-SHIPMENT-/261277567268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3cd55b4924

might be of use!

Looking forward for a reply!

JI

Hi,

Those Federscheiben M6 should fit, 6.4 should fi over the hose.

Thanks ! Just ordered to give them a try !

Thanks3dcase!

You were right and everithing is running smooth now!

Looking forward for the bank holiday to give the new setup a try!

JI