Has anyone tried out ColorFabb nGen filament?

LePaul

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Has anyone tried out ColorFabb nGen filament?

Yes. I used some PLA while the nozzle was warm to clean it up

I read on a few places cooler might help, so I tried 225C It was a little better, but still have those "hairs" present.

The operating range on this filament is 220-240 so I have some room to go lower.

I was just curious how others were dealing with it.

I really don't want to mess with flow settings, since the prints are coming out so well otherwise.

0.40   printing at 230C

Irrespective of your problem I would suggest you are too cool - move up to 245, which will give you far better layer bonding too as long as you printer is enclosed.

I suffered those strings too and removed them with the following changes to my standard PLA settings for nGen

travel speed from 150 to 200

retraction distance from 4.5mm to 5.5mm

minimum travel distance from 1.5 to 1.0

minimum extrusion from 0.02 to 0

These are now my standard PLA settings.

Reducing your print speed can also help

Posted (edited) · Has anyone tried out ColorFabb nGen filament?

Yeah printer not covered so I don't think I'll crank up the temp (print underway now)

Edited by Guest

Ohh I may have cursed myself.

I upped the temp 4C and walked away. Well there went the adhesion and found a nuclear spaghetti bomb waiting for me this morning.

The basement is also getting a bit cool this time of year. (65F)

I like the idea of the enclosure and other tips you gave

Lepaul - just turn the 3 screws counter clockwise a little more. I know you think it's perfect. I know you showed me photos. But obviously it's not sticking. If you squish it so much it's transparent (shouldn't have to go that far) it sticks better than if you don't. Every little bit of increased squish helps adhesion.

Also have you cleaned the bed in the last week? It's good to clean it occasionally to get dust off and any oils from your fingers.

Removed the glass, washed with dish soap, let dry for three hours. Cleaned again with Windex

Also isn't counter clockwise further away?

This failure was changing the temp mid print

Clockwise screws, moving bed away from nozzle. Counterclock unscrews moving bed closer to nozzle.

@LePaul: Maybe the Windex is the source of your adhesion problems? Those glass cleaners usually leave a small film on top of the glass. If that film adheres nicely to both glass and print you're fine, if not...

I just wash my glass with water normally. Sometimes I use a dish washing agent which contains polylactide acid.

Well the raft is working.

I'm looking to refine the printer settings for nGen and eliminate the hairs. Minus a cover, @yellowshark gave some good tips with the retraction and travel speeds. I'll have to test it out on a small piece and see how that goes

Clockwise screws, moving bed away from nozzle. Counterclock unscrews moving bed closer to nozzle.

depends on how you look at them...

if you stand before the printer looking to the bed it feels like clockwise, but from the screw point of view, which is upside down under the bed it is counterclockwise...

Try the cover, usually I get these hairs when there is a draft, cold air around.

depends on how you look at them...

if you stand before the printer looking to the bed it feels like clockwise, but from the screw point of view, which is upside down under the bed it is counterclockwise...

Try the cover, usually I get these hairs when there is a draft, cold air around.

ok...

Rotate to Left to close gab

Rotate to Right to loose gab

small_IMG_20141015_011616.jpg

@Dim3nsioneer makes a good point on cleaners, many including the world famous WD-40 leave a coating. On my cars I use Isopropyl alcohol which does not. I have never used it on my bed so I am not recommending it as such; I use warm water.

Removed the glass, washed with dish soap, let dry for three hours.  Cleaned again with Windex

I dry with rag or paper towel. I'm making a video - hope to release it this weekend.

We've gone a bit off topic on this thread :)

Again, adhesion seems alright and the brim has helped keep it down.

@gr5 I can send you this large part I'm making so you can troubleshoot it with me. The orientation and large amount of support needed was part of the problem. Heck I'd love to see this printed on an Ultimaker 3 with PVA :)

@yellowshark ,

I am working on putting these settings into Cura 2.3.1

minimum travel distance from 1.5 to 1.0

minimum extrusion from 0.02 to 0

..but I can not seem to find them!

They are under materials along with other retraction settings. so I asm guessing yo have looked there! I assume that the visibility setting for each one is not turned on. Goto the settings menu at the top and select "configure setting visibility". Go down to the Material section and you will find them there - they need a tick against them to make them visible.

Those are retraction settings.

Is it these two?

min_settings.JPG.77b66e90d91bf985c93b8c7972926c19.JPG

min_settings.JPG.77b66e90d91bf985c93b8c7972926c19.JPG

Those only help if it's doing travel moves without actually retracting.

Yup those are the two

The reason i ask is the default values are way different from what you went from and to :)