Usage of closed chamber on UM2 (Desktop 600 Enclosure of 3dprintclean)

Posted · Usage of closed chamber on UM2 (Desktop 600 Enclosure of 3dprintclean)

Hallo everybody,

I am planning to use a Desktop 600 Enclosure of 3dprintclean Link with my Ultimaker 2. This enclosure is completely closed and has a pre-heater as optional add-on. My questions are regarding the operation:

• The pre-heater can heat up the whole chamber. Does this limit the operation time of components?
  • What would be a maximum recommended chamber temperature in order to prolong the lifetime of stepper / electronics etc. but at the same time produce an optimal ABS printout.
  • Did the research and development team experiment with closed chambers (I assume they did)? If yes, what were the results? What are the (dis)advantages?
  • Does anyone already own this combination? What are your experiences with the enclosure? What kind of filaments did you already print?

Thanks and regards,

Nils

Posted (edited) · Usage of closed chamber on UM2 (Desktop 600 Enclosure of 3dprintclean)

Standard electronics don't like an operation temperature above 40°C. That's the drawback of this solution. Otherwise it looks good to me in terms of safety.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Usage of closed chamber on UM2 (Desktop 600 Enclosure of 3dprintclean)

I just use a "curver box" on the top of my UM2 sometimes, and a plexiglas sheet on the front.

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/ultimaker2-top-cover-clips

https://www.youmagine.com/designs/um2-minimalist-front-panel

It's a setup with the E3Dv6, for ABS.

The box is sticking out at the back, so its open at the back.

When I print around 240-250 bed 100 all is ok, there's still enough cooling for the E3D. When I print at 270 the chamber gets to hot (still need to do real measurements, its somewhere on the todo list)  and the E3D will block. So basically unless you can cool from the outside (water cooling f.e.) the temperature in the chamber can't be raised unlimited.

I would never use a system that encloses the electronics. I also don't like the added size of the systems you link to.

Edited by Guest

Oh... Thats alot of extra bulk for your printer :O

Also, as the others (and yourself) point out, that solution dosn't only heat up your print area, but in fact the whole printer, which is not at all optimal... I would go with a solution that dosn't heat up the electronics.

On my UMO I made 3 acrylic side panels that fit in the holes of the printer... You can see a post about it here: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/16033-ultimaker-original-magnetic-mounted-acrylic-side-and-front-panels

Since you have a UM2, you only need 1 panel... Mine are mounted with magnets, and snap in place inside the hole to add zero extra bulk, and I use a crossflow fan so have no closed top... The fan keeps circulating the hot air inside the printer, and only a small part of it escapes...

Its a bit of a big rebuild, so going with just a front panel and a "bucket" the way ultiarjan links, would be way more easy and fast...

For heat, my hotend and bed are sufficient for heating the chamber... You don't want to go too hot in there as the stepper motors are mounted inside and they also have a max operating temp.

The heated chamber is only a spin-off... and can (for sure) be achieved with much simpler approaches.

The main feature of this enclosure is the "Scrubber Filter" (filtering of ultrafine particles) - especially for ABS printing.

The question is: is it worth the extra room / money / weight (40kg !!) on the desktop?

It's not very clear from the description - can the heat be dissipated from the chamber in any way?

Edit: they are talking about 95F (35°C ?) as enclosure temperature in the description of the "Rapid Heat Kit". A temperature in this range should not hurt?

Edited by Guest

Thanks guys,

the primary reason for this enclosure is the scrubber. Maybe I will seal off the printing chamber of my UM2 by myself and add such a scrubber. This would leave the electronic board without excessive heat, but will be very difficult in order to get this "cheese" air-tight ....

Thanks and regards,

Nils

Wow that's an expensive solution... https://3dprintclean.myshopify.com/

I use this cover and this door but for me it's to filter the noise because me colleagues were complaining :D

Still 200 euros for both upgrades but worth every euro imo.

Works impressively good, I can say about 70% of all noise of the printer is gone.

This is how it looks like with those upgrades :

RGI59SC.jpg

• Like 2

Hallo @frederiekpascal,

I already own this combination, but as you stated it is still open.

My current plan would be to close the chamber on the back and to put the feeder stepper on the outside. Maybe I will also flip X/Y Steppers to the outside, but this is a firmware question.... The rest will be sealed with silicon (joints / gaps) and / or foil. Then I will attach a scrubber to it and that should do the job .... I hope :)

Thanks and regards,

Nils

@frederiekpascal Why'd you have to make it look so good?  Parts ordered from 3Dprinterstore

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

The heated chamber is only a spin-off... and can (for sure) be achieved with much simpler approaches.

The main feature of this enclosure is the "Scrubber Filter" (filtering of ultrafine particles) - especially for ABS printing.

The question is: is it worth the extra room / money / weight (40kg !!) on the desktop?

It's not very clear from the description - can the heat be dissipated from the chamber in any way?

Edit: they are talking about 95F (35°C ?) as enclosure temperature in the description of the "Rapid Heat Kit". A temperature in this range should not hurt?

The Scrubber (Filtration System) is solid aluminum, and acts as a giant heat sync, removing excess heat from the enclosure, without releasing the contaminated air. The enclosure features a user definable thermal cutoff that removes all power from the enclosure and printer if exceed, this protects the printer from damage in the event of a printer thermal runaway. The rapid heat kit warms the enclosure to an optimal build temperature much quicker than the heat from the printer head and bed. We found printing around 90F, dramatically improved print quality.

• Like 1

3DPrintClean

Edited by Guest

We, 3DPrintClean, just launched a lower cost enclosure and filtration system on KickStarter. If interested please see: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64537310/3d-printer-lightweight-enclosure-and-filtration-syhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtAWDaxUHog

Wow that's an expensive solution... https://3dprintclean.myshopify.com/

I use this cover and this door but for me it's to filter the noise because me colleagues were complaining :D

Still 200 euros for both upgrades but worth every euro imo.

Works impressively good, I can say about 70% of all noise of the printer is gone.

This is how it looks like with those upgrades :

RGI59SC.jpg

Nice, going to have to do something like that.

Nice, I would be good to add a tool holder.