Uneven layers? Although I print at .1 mm I am still able to see every layer...help please

Kwallnation

Posted · Uneven layers? Although I print at .1 mm I am still able to see every layer...help please

That "sand in the gears" sound is just the ball bearings falling. I have heard on the forum that it's bad to oil the z rods as that can bum up the bearings.

Yes the rods come out the bottom of the printer - it's quite easy to do - that step anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
    • Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted · Uneven layers? Although I print at .1 mm I am still able to see every layer...help please

Hi Everyone!

I apologize for not posting in a few weeks, but after tinkering a little bit I had some interesting results.

Since my last update I installed an Olsson block and a new temperature sensor (which I broke while trying to install the new block:P). I also completely cleaned and re-greased the z-screw and attempted a re-alignment procedure that I found in another forum thread that solved someone else's problem. However, I continued having the same problem with inconsistent layers throughout my entire print.

It seems like a slightly different issue than what others are having, as theirs seem to be only one one layer on a consistent basis. My prints seem to have inconsistent layers throughout.

However, something interesting happened when I decided to try a print at .06 mm versus my usual .1. The problem seemed to disappear entirely! IMG_2505.thumb.JPG.48e6c83e01d82b8159549cac58617041.JPG IMG_2504.thumb.JPG.fc23694d39e62d1ebce756c50cb4510b.JPGThen, when I went back to printing at .1 mm again (using the mini calibration test that comes with the printer) the problem returned. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this happened? And if so, how I can fix it so it prints normally at .1 mm again?

Thanks so much for all of your help! (And sorry for such a long post :))

IMG_2505.thumb.JPG.48e6c83e01d82b8159549cac58617041.JPG

IMG_2504.thumb.JPG.fc23694d39e62d1ebce756c50cb4510b.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really see what is wrong in your last prints, the picture seems a bit too bright.

What I can tell you from the first post. it looks exactly like what I had on my Ultimakers. Over and under extrusion layers following after each other. The problem was caused by sticky bearings AND play in the Z-nut in the Z direction. So I've designed a new nut with a lot less tolerance.

I have three ultimakers one, all with heated bed upgrade. One of the heated beds is about a year old and never had play in the Z-nut, the others two upgrades are a few months old and had a significant amount of play in the Z-nut . Those last two are the printers that encountered this problem. Since the new nut, this problem is gone. So maybe you can give it a try.

I believe the heated bed on the UM2 is the same is the UM1 so this is the nut you can use: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1304445

Print this nut with 100% infill. If it still has play when you install it, you can scale it down in the X and Y direction by 0,5% or so. Repeat this until it fits like it should.

My problem:

5a33175678a73_Foto29-01-16090323.thumb.jpg.703234b8455a602d73fd2effe874f6fa.jpg

5a3317556f567_Foto29-01-16081719.thumb.jpg.d7703696c281cb98e96eb4e0bd02e77f.jpg

5a33175678a73_Foto29-01-16090323.thumb.jpg.703234b8455a602d73fd2effe874f6fa.jpg

5a3317556f567_Foto29-01-16081719.thumb.jpg.d7703696c281cb98e96eb4e0bd02e77f.jpg

I lost track of what you tried. Did you try adding at least 1kg of weight to the bed? If not try that first to see if it helps. This might not be a final solution but it's a good test.

We have solved the problem. We ran out of all ideas and decided to finally try replacing the coupler. We bought the long lasting "permanent" fix coupler from gr5 and installed it. It worked phenomenally and the prints are coming out amazing again. Initially we didn't think it was the coupler because when the problem first started we had replaced the coupler 3 weeks before. I forgot that in those three weeks, we had printed for 2 weeks straight, 24/7 for a large project we were on. This wore out the coupler and thus this new coupler fixed the problem. Thank you all for the help!!

-Kwallnation

• Like 1