Trying to install Olsson Block, Hot End Isolator won't come out

shinzy

Posted · Trying to install Olsson Block, Hot End Isolator won't come out

Hey, I have an ultimaker 2 and am trying to install an Olsson Block I just got. I followed the instructional video (https://ultimaker.com/en/support/17867-installing-olsson-block), and everything was going swimmingly until 1:18 in, where it says to unscrew the hotend isolator. Initially this worked fine. I'm aware some people can't turn the isolator at all, but that's not the issue. It turned until a point, indicating there's no filament stuck, but then stopped pushing the hotend down for a while. The ring still turns freely, but the hotend won't fall out like it does in the video. I've tried pulling it while unscrewing, heating the hotend to 180 degrees until it softened plastic stuck on the nozzle and tried unscrewing while gently pulling, and then I just tried unscrewing while pulling (pretty hard) and making an attempt not to warp the axis. I'm out of ideas, and the stubborn thing won't come out. Any suggestions?

In the video they suggest you leave 3 of the screws in. At this point I recommend you take it all apart - remove the 4 screws, remove the 2 screws that hold the plate that the spring is pushing against, remove the white teflon piece, then try lifting the steel coupler up.

Probably the thin screw that holes the heater and temp sensor in place is making it difficult to get the block out. Better at this point to do it the "hard way" and so that you are gentle with the temp sensor and heater which are so easy to break.

• 2 months later...

ARCHE did you heat the nozzle to 150C minimum?

Did you use a screwdriver to rotate the steel part? You need some tool that is skinny and fits into the holes.

If you can't rotate the round steel nut then take the whole head apart. Remove the top plate - there's 2 screws - careful to squeeze while unscrewing it as there is a strong spring.

Then you can remove the white teflon part (use a flat blade screwdriver and pry it out).

THEN you can insert a tool ALL THE WAY THROUGH the holes on the top of the isolator nut. Now it's easier to rotate. If you break anything you can get spare parts at 3dsolex.com.