Wood with shine finish

fergazz

Posted · Wood with shine finish

Hi fellows!

I got a new job to do, replicate an award. The 3d CAD model is done and I would like to make it as close as possible from the original, take a look:

[media=8408][/media]

Wood filaments are to much difficult to find in my country, and it's darker than I need. This wood has also some dashed... what technique should I use here? Primer and painting? If yes, should I mix yellow and orange? I never did it before, just use primer a couple of times.

What about the glaze/varnish finishing, it's possible to do it at home?

Cheers for all community!

Wood filaments wont get the effect you are after so you are better off painting it.

Here is a guy from my home town doing a

Woow... that's an awesome job! I would love to be that guy neighbor :)

Thanks for share!

• Like 1

Think of wood filaments as MDF (at best); wood fibers with lots of polymer inbetween. You would not create - say - a dashboard of a fancy car out of MDF without a layer of fineer to make it look like wood.

Wood filaments are awesome for their sandability

Wood filaments wont get the effect you are after so you are better off painting it.

Here is a guy from my home town doing a

wow that is a pretty good painter. Well.. I guess it is all in the name right? ;)

I think in this specific case, for this award, you would get the best result using.............. wood. Not everything needs to be 3D printed, sometimes a more traditional way just works better.

• Like 1

I think in this specific case, for this award, you would get the best result using.............. wood.  Not everything needs to be 3D printed, sometimes a more traditional way just works better.

Maybe a CNC machine service? or just a carpenter/ woodworker?

Actually I found a good airbrush artist close to me, he said that have experience painting like a wood, let's see, I'm waiting for his feedback with photos and service budget. But it's good to get a plan B and see what's better. I will keep you posted... thanks for the advise!

Cheers

Hi guys! Finally the airbrush painter give me a feedback. Take a look of wood paints that he made [media=8502][/media] [media=8503][/media] [media=8504][/media] [media=8505][/media]

Looks good for me! 30 bucks each award... now I`m waiting for the consumer feedback to start this project. There are also other awards for this client including a silver Cannes Lion (big challenge!).

I would love to have a complete Fablab around to do stuffs with CNC, pos-production and printers, of course. Anyone thinking to move to Rio de Janeiro? I need a business partner! The Olimpic games is camming :D

I will keep them posted about this stuff. The deadline isn`t tight for those,

thankfully. Cheers!

• Like 3

Posted (edited) · Wood with shine finish

Think of wood filaments as MDF (at best); wood fibers with lots of polymer inbetween. You would not create - say - a dashboard of a fancy car out of MDF without a layer of fineer to make it look like wood.

What did you mean here, to cover the print with MDF or fineer? As I said I don`t have where to buy wood filaments in my country, that sucks.

Good to know about their sandability, I suppose to bring some wood filaments in my next trip to Europe or EUA.

Edited by Guest

Looks good. Hope the paint job works out good for you.

What did you mean here, to cover the print with MDF or fineer? As I said I don`t have where to buy wood filaments in my country, that sucks.

Good to know about their sandability, I suppose to bring some wood filaments in my next trip to Europe or EUA.

He meant that the look of woodfill, when it comes out of the Ultimaker kinda resembles MDF.

He meant that the look of woodfill, when it comes out of the Ultimaker kinda resembles MDF.

Aaaahh ok... thanks!