E3D-V6 on an Ultimaker Original +?

Posted · E3D-V6 on an Ultimaker Original +?

UM2 Uses two 12v fans and wires them together to make up the 24v supply. If you want just one fan then you will need a 24v one.

They come with the bare wires. If you want the plugs they can also be bought on Ebay. Just check on the Github for the plug part numbers and search them.

Sounds like a plan. What connectors do I need for the wires? I can't really identify which ones they are from just looking at them. I'm looking at some 12V 20mm fans now and I'll buy them as soon as I've figured out my full part list for the project.

why not just be practical and connect/solder the wires directly.... even more stable as you won't have any loose connectors anymore, which happens sometimes after removing the bowden from the head...

Check Here.

I found the schematic for the fan, but no documentation on what type of connection it uses. The schematic can be found here. It looks like a good source, though, so I'll take a bit more time to skim over each file to make sure I haven't missed something. Also, it looks like only one of the two pages is included in that GitHub post - on the bottom right hand corner, it says "sheet number: 1 of 2". I'm not sure if there just isn't a second sheet there, or if that's the only page available. Either way, no documentation in that source.

Secondly, I'm not sure how the dual fans connect to the board. I only see one connector on the UM2 board and I'm not exactly sure if the fans just connect together somewhere along the wire or if they connect seperately. The FAN PWM connector looks like it fits in the bottom left of the board in this picture:

um2electronics.thumb.png.d0a35b0bdc1cf9f030b7b553ef808858.png

why not just be practical and connect/solder the wires directly.... even more stable as you won't have any loose connectors anymore, which happens sometimes after removing the bowden from the head...

I see what you're saying there, but I'm not exactly ready to make any changes to the physical board I've got. The risk/penalty of failure are too high for me at this point, so I'll try that later if I have to.

um2electronics.thumb.png.d0a35b0bdc1cf9f030b7b553ef808858.png

I see what you're saying there, but I'm not exactly ready to make any changes to the physical board I've got.  The risk/penalty of failure are too high for me at this point, so I'll try that later if I have to.

I did NOT mean soldering at the board, only at the fan side of the cabling....

I did NOT mean soldering at the board, only at the fan side of the cabling....

That makes more sense. What do you mean by "at the fan side of the cabling"? Like soldering the two fan wires together? I'm a little confused.

Look at the actual fan drawing and it should state the connector.

The fans are 12v and connected in serries where the fans plug in at the hot end.

I posted the link to the github drawing above - take a look at it. There's nothing there saying what connection it uses.

I mean the fan connectors at the side of the head can sometimes get loose, f.e. after taking out the bowden, so if you cut of the connectors and just solder the wires you'll be fine.

If you have a damaged fan you can also just cut the wires of the old fan and soder to the new, so you reuse the connector.

connectors.thumb.jpg.f96dedbaa043ca6c099dc780c474fcec.jpg

It's there..... it's only documented in 1 of the 2 fan types.

fanconnector.thumb.jpg.51b92ae826027298354bf9310e039049.jpg

fanconnector.thumb.jpg.51b92ae826027298354bf9310e039049.jpg

I mean the fan connectors at the side of the head can sometimes get loose, f.e. after taking out the bowden, so if you cut of the connectors and just solder the wires you'll be fine.

If you have a damaged fan you can also just cut the wires of the old fan and soder to the new, so you reuse the connector.

Alright - it definitely looks like the electronics are handled differently in the UM2. On my UMO+ the fan wire has no connectors except to the board. It looks like, from the picture, the two fans have shorter wires that connect up to one single wire that runs the rest of the length to the board.

Posted (edited) · E3D-V6 on an Ultimaker Original +?

It looks like, from the picture, the two fans have shorter wires that connect up to one single wire that runs the rest of the length to the board.

YES

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

It's there..... it's only documented in 1 of the 2 fan types.

Awesome! I wonder if I can 3D print those connectors... :D (I'm probably just going to buy them online, to be honest.)

It looks like, from the picture, the two fans have shorter wires that connect up to one single wire that runs the rest of the length to the board.

YES

Looks like I'm being a bit frustrating - I'm sorry! I'm not quite understanding how you got that working. Is that how the UM2 is set up, or did you have to wire up a new connection like that (what I mean is are those the UM2 fans or different PC fans that you rigged up)? Thank you so much for your help so far!

If you read the board schematics you will see that you have an aditional 19-24v connection. But to have it pwm (managed by gcode) you have to connect it to pwm fan or led pwm. Or use an external pwm sollution.

The Molex connectors are documented on the fans info at github. Dig deep, it's all there.

Anyone found a mount that will support two E3D V6 hot ends?

Duplicating a mount to take 2x E3D's is simple, but what do you want with it?

Dual extrusion with two fixed nozzles does not work, it's just a big waste of your time.

At minimum you need a system to lift the nozzle not in use, or totally get it out of the way (like the magnetic mount) Besides that, a E3Dv6 is a pain to adjust in height, so you would also need to build this into the mount.