Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
ultimoose

Cura settings not taken over by Ultimaker 2?

In Cura I set the printing temperature to 235C and the bed temperature to 65C (using the nGen filament) and save my design + settings to SD card. After first getting bad results I wanted to check if these two settings were actually used by Ultimaker 2: after selecting the design on the SD card for printing I selected Tune to see what temperatures were actually used.

For the printing temperature I saw xx/0C (were xx is the actual temperature of the nozzle, rising while heating up) and for the bed temperature yy/75C (were yy is the actual temperature of the bed, rising while heating up).

I would have expected to see xx/235C and yy/65C!?

This gives me the impression that the temperatures defined in Cura and saved together with the design to SD are not actually used by the Ultimaker 2?

Can anyone explain what is going on here?

There are different gcode flavors. On default, Cura generates Ultigcode for the UM2. Temperature is then taken from the material profile stored in the printer itself. If you want to control temperature from Cura, you still have to use legacy Cura I think as you would have to change the gcode flavor to 'RepRap' which the new Cura does not support yet (but I'm not 100% sure).

There are different gcode flavors. On default, Cura generates Ultigcode for the UM2. Temperature is then taken from the material profile stored in the printer itself. If you want to control temperature from Cura, you still have to use legacy Cura I think as you would have to change the gcode flavor to 'RepRap' which the new Cura does not support yet (but I'm not 100% sure).

Dim3nsioneer, thanks for your response!

How should one know which settings defined in Cura are and which are not taken over by UM2 and is this documented somewhere?

When Cura is set to generate Ultigcode for UM2 would it then not make sense to have settings that are to be defined on UM2 itself greyed out in Cura?

How should one know which settings defined in Cura are and which are not taken over by UM2 and is this documented somewhere?

When Cura is set to generate Ultigcode for UM2 would it then not make sense to have settings that are to be defined on UM2 itself greyed out in Cura?

There is a Cura documentation; the temperature thing is e.g. mentioned here: https://ultimaker.com/en/support/16586-basic

However, you're right about graying out (or leaving it away completely). This is still a bug of the Cura beta (I guess you're using V1.99?). But it's noted by the dev team.

There is a Cura documentation; the temperature thing is e.g. mentioned here: https://ultimaker.com/en/support/16586-basic

However, you're right about graying out (or leaving it away completely). This is still a bug of the Cura beta (I guess you're using V1.99?). But it's noted by the dev team.

Found the temperature mentioned via the link you provided.

Btw: I'm using Cura 15.06.03