I want buy an UM2 DIY KIT in the Aliexpress

Posted · I want buy an UM2 DIY KIT in the Aliexpress

Almost all components are made in China nowadays. That's not the issue.

Not entirely. It has some benefits like lower cost, but some huge disadvantages in terms of very long shipping times, tough communication and different cultures / standards.

So one could build a case in sourcing (crucial) parts more locally.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Happy new year everyone! (still acceptable to say this?)

Today I was searching some hubs on 3D Hubs and one of the users had a "Joymaker R3" and it said it had Ultimaker 2 quality. As soon as I googled the name and found their webpage it reminded me of this topic.

Not much to say about it. It's an UM2 larger clone.

http://www.3djoy.cn/en/product/joysmaker-r3-phantom/

IMG20141022163902_800.jpg

• Like 1

Should I be impressed they went through the trouble of removing the logo?

Considering it's a chinese clone, it must have been a tough decision to remove the logo, it would have reported them a larger amount of benefits!

• Like 1

I honestly don't know why this thread exists when it comes across as an endorsement of a Chinese rip off. Lock it/close it/ delete it would be my opinion :)

• 3 months later...

Nice build. I am interested in this version of a um2 clone and was wondering if you could reply with a parts list. It would be appreciated if you do!

Chinese UM clones tend to suck. Really really suck - things don't fit - electronics have subtle problems - more things don't fit... Like waste 100 hours (like 6 months) of your life suck. Just warning you. Better to build a UMO from scratch than buy a chinese clone.

After getting some spare parts for my Ultimaker from China (PTFE couplers and printhead parts mainly) and having searched over and over for the cheapest deal, all I have to say is:

If you're looking for a good quality Ultimaker 2 clone, search on Google for Ultimaker Original +.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · I want buy an UM2 DIY KIT in the Aliexpress

There has been several users on our forum complaining they did not get their machine to work after buying an Ultimaker clone. There is far more to it then just sourcing approximate parts of an established brand to make a reliable 3D printer so I would certainly advice against it. Besides that, there is also an ethical issue where open sourcing your files is not a permission to start monetising on other peoples research. Supporting these clones is also kinda frowned upon.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money I would either recommend to look into an Ultimaker Original or Ultimaker 2 Go, or alternatively another brand of 3D Printer like Printrbot which is cheaper and gives you good value for your money.

Edited by Guest
    • Like 2