ended Community Contest, part 5 | The tribute

SandervG

Posted (edited) · ended Community Contest, part 5 | The tribute

Here's my entry:

Right off the bat it was clear it would be a Colorfabb special material moment. Woodfill for the frame, clear XT for the Heated Bed and a nice miniature spool of XT. And finally I couldn't resist to also make a tiny bronze spool, which turned out to be so cute!

As everything snapped together, all of miniature land came to see, from the left to the right: the famous Dutch Lion that was uploaded in the wrong place, the tiny Easter Island head, the Louvre piramide that was printed as a test for the Colorfabb timelapse, and finally the Ultibot pair. Left of the two is the first print with my heated bed, there was a z-step error somewhere in the firmware so the fellow got a bit stretched out. His brother was the next generation and turned out to be just fine!

Note: I used the standard settings for Colorfabb prints:

http://learn.colorfabb.com/print-_xt/

http://learn.colorfabb.com/print-bronzefill/

http://learn.colorfabb.com/how-to-print-with-woodfill/

With .2mm layerheight, 0.4 nozzle, 0.8 shell and 1.2 top/bottom, 20% fill.

Note2: As I was assembling the Ultimaker I dropped it and it broke :(Hence the scars.

DSC_4668.thumb.jpg.fa93ec5e0e889a0f21be12f2c5a50d9b.jpg

DSC_4667.thumb.jpg.c0ce83aefc881b1617b4c813a7e61a91.jpg

DSC_4666.thumb.jpg.f0775b49b291515778e9d6323a63540e.jpg

DSC_4665.thumb.jpg.9415a4289014dfb072db85605378aad7.jpg

ALMOST forgot to link to the print: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/prints/1952-community-contest-part-5-the-tribute

DSC_4668.thumb.jpg.fa93ec5e0e889a0f21be12f2c5a50d9b.jpg

DSC_4667.thumb.jpg.c0ce83aefc881b1617b4c813a7e61a91.jpg

DSC_4666.thumb.jpg.f0775b49b291515778e9d6323a63540e.jpg

DSC_4665.thumb.jpg.9415a4289014dfb072db85605378aad7.jpg

Edited by Guest
added link

Posted · ended Community Contest, part 5 | The tribute

What a tough competition it was again, thank you all for participating!

Because we had one prize left from the previous contest we have an extra prize to hand out this time. This made it a little bit easier for me to choose between the entries.

So, with no further ado.. here are the winners!

Congratulations

@Tinkergnome & @DesignMakeTeach

It was a tough competition, but you both had outstanding print quality with lots of details and put a lot of effort in your presentation.

Tinkergnome received some bonus points for the extra dual color reels of filament he printed, and DesignMakeTeach receives bonus points for hand painting his prints.

Special thank you to @Titus and @HMarcus for printing your Ultimaker Original tributes in Woodfill. Unfortunately due to the fracture or lack of detail (0.8mm nozzle) your competition had a small advantage. Hopefully you'll participate again in the next competition.

Thank you all for participating!

The next contest will start again shortly, with new chances!

Hopefully we'll see you again!

@SandervG, I'm sure you mean @tinkergnome 's TRIPLE color reels ;)Was that printed or painted? Also, how did you do that :O? I can't imagine that precise measuring and cutting bits of filament.

I'm curious for all the settings. No way I can get that detail on my UMO, not even with regular PLA. There's just not enough cooling I guess.

Edited by Guest

@SandervG, I'm sure you mean @tinkergnome 's TRIPLE color reels ;)Was that printed or painted? Also, how did you do that :O? I can't imagine that precise measuring and cutting bits of filament.

@Titus - you have eagle eyes... :)

It's all printed - just a close (dutch) collaboration of an Ultimaker2, FormFutura and a bit of Colorfabb.

I guess i would get malus points if i try to paint something... :)

One can simply use Cura with the PauseAtZ plugin and change materials mid print (don't know if this is possible on an UMO?).

In this specific case i used Simplify3D and splitted the job in four processes starting (and stopping) at different z heights (four separate gcode files) - it was a bit easier this way.

But quite a few of material change cycles...

Yes - a bit of effort - but a lot of fun!

Edit - regarding the settings: i did nothing weird...

With the exception of the tiny robots it's all printed from PLA with a 0.4 nozzle.

Relatively slow (30 - 35mm/s) at about 200°C. Fan was only at 35%, i use the fan shroud from @Labern - i assume it has a high efficiency factor?

I think the details also related to the material - i made good experiences with PLA from FormFutura.

And last but not least - the JET nozzles from 3DSolex perhaps? I never compared it with others, i only have those... :)

Edited by Guest

Congratulations to the winners!

It was good to see a contest with more than one participant... ;)

• Like 1

Yeah, congratulations to both of you, nice to see more people put in more effort!

It was good to see a contest with more than one legal participant... ;)

There I fixed it for you ;)

@Tinkergnome, I know, I've worked with that before, but when I pause, the nozzle either melts the environment into a blobby structure, or leaves a nasty spot that in time messes up the print. Do you insert gcode to make the head retract and travel away or something?

I see, ultimaker 2 has 2 fans, and with a nice fanshroud. Right now I'm using an UMO with UMO+ fan shroud made from some sheet metal, but I can't seem to find good fans :(

Ah, that could be it, given the nature of woodfill I was printing at 80mm/s I believe. I'll have to try a print with normal pla, printed slower.

@Tinkergnome, I know, I've worked with that before, but when I pause, the nozzle either melts the environment into a blobby structure, or leaves a nasty spot that in time messes up the print. Do you insert gcode to make the head retract and travel away or something?

The Cura plugin has parameters for this, hasn't it?

pause_at_height.png

There's nothing more satisfying for a maker than seeing their design getting use so creatively and abundantly. Thanks guys, and also thanks for not complaining about the many terrible design flaws in my model (it was one of my first models for printing).

• Like 1

Woot! Thanks @SandervG. (I might actually forgive you for your aggressive elbowing during the moat boat paddle battle.) 4th time is the charm.

I originally tried to print using 1.75mm WoodFill on a stock Ultimaker 2 but the filament kept breaking in the extruder gear and then baking in the hot end. I printed mine in Buttercream PLA at 50% size thinking I would use Barbie dolls as the 'design' students but the scaling wasn't quite right. I'm embarrassed to say that I assembled the printer with the extruder in the wrong orientation. Didn't have a lot of post-processing time so just slapped on a few quick details using acrylic hobby paint. Mainly just wanted to darken the laser cut lines.

LOL Did we meet?

I must admit, I was pretty competitive yeah but come on.. it was an intense competition!

.. I get easily excited about those things :p

Are you in this or this video?

Well, regardless of how 'unplanned' your process was, it lead to a great result! Congratulations!

@SandervG I was the captain of the Black Pearl. Your first competitor. (Also part of the Make DigiFab review team.)