Bowden tube poping out

cashlo

Posted · Bowden tube poping out

Hello,

I recently get a second hand Ultimaker 2, after printing fine for a few month, the bowden tube starts poping out at random times in print:

IMG_0924.thumb.JPG.9a69c88c3d5931693f03fa19a47fcd2f.JPG

And when it doesn't pop out, there are some uneven horizontal lines:

IMG_0921.thumb.JPG.de8e7bfa11367225d082abcdee5ac17a.JPG

Any suggestions what could be wrong?

IMG_0924.thumb.JPG.9a69c88c3d5931693f03fa19a47fcd2f.JPG

IMG_0921.thumb.JPG.de8e7bfa11367225d082abcdee5ac17a.JPG

Could you take a picture of the top of your printhead?

There should be a white tightner and a blue clip holding it in place.

If any of those are missing or not functioning well that could cause the bowden tube to pop out. Usually when a bowden tube is not secured it will eliminate retraction.

I also see that the space between the PTFE coupler and hot end coupler is to small. It should be over 1mm.

This could be an interesting blog for you to read.

And we have a part 2.

Could you take a picture of the top of your printhead?

There should be a white tightner and a blue clip holding it in place.

If any of those are missing or not functioning well that could cause the bowden tube to pop out. Usually when a bowden tube is not secured it will eliminate retraction.

I also see that the space between the PTFE coupler and hot end coupler is to small. It should be over 1mm.

This could be an interesting blog for you to read.

And we have a part 2.

Thanks for the reply, I actually had the same problem before with the blue clip, so I replaced it with a printed one, could it be this one is also too short? Are there a recommended one?

IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.f7b98e77a07fb1a2317251b5c6a5ace9.JPG

I have read those blog post, while they are very helpful, I couldn't find any information related to those horizontal lines.

IMG_0925.thumb.JPG.f7b98e77a07fb1a2317251b5c6a5ace9.JPG

It could be that the coupler that holds the Bowden tube in place isn't working properly. It should have metal "teeth" that bite into the Bowden tube and hold it in place.

If you remove the clamp and slide the Bowden tube out, can you see grooves? (Or take a photo)?

I had this happen with my Ultimaker Original a year after owning it. It's a pretty easy fix once you have the correct parts.

I also had a tube from 3dsolex that wouldn't hold. If you loosen the 4 thumbs screws a tiny bit then push the tube hard down and tighten the thumb screws. It locks it in tighter stopping it from coming loose. But as LePaul states. Check to make sure the white lock has the metal teeth and tube isn't chewed out at that point first.

It could be that the coupler that holds the Bowden tube in place isn't working properly.  It should have metal "teeth" that bite into the Bowden tube and hold it in place.  

If you remove the clamp and slide the Bowden tube out, can you see grooves?  (Or take a photo)?

I had this happen with my Ultimaker Original a year after owning it.  It's a pretty easy fix once you have the correct parts.

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.d87b4925cd497ab5698d838da177c196.JPG

IMG_0927.thumb.JPG.1ee770368b17974255b897f3ae12761a.JPG

Here it is, it's kinda hard to get a clear view, so you think I need to replace it?

IMG_0926.thumb.JPG.d87b4925cd497ab5698d838da177c196.JPG

IMG_0927.thumb.JPG.1ee770368b17974255b897f3ae12761a.JPG

What does the bowden look like where those teeth are supposed to grip? I'm guessing it's pretty marred up? If so, cut off 0.5-1cm of the bowden and try again. That'll give the teeth some fresh material to bite into.

• Like 1

@cashio , have you been able to resolve the issue?

Just wanted to see if our suggested helped you :)

@cashio , have you been able to resolve the issue?

Just wanted to see if our suggested helped you   :)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I cut off a bit of the bowden tube, increased the space between the PTFE coupler and hot end coupler, and it seems to have stopped poping out! Also the horizontal lines seems to be better now, I guess the bigger gap makes the hot end push harder into the holder and make it more secure?