Error Tried printing out of printing area

keith-hobley

Posted · Error Tried printing out of printing area

Over the last couple of days my Ultimaker 2 prints correctly but then occasionally prints correctly until a midpoint then returns the head unit to the home position and l receive an error message:

Error: Tried printing out of printing area.

Has anybody any idea what might be causing the problem

Thanks

Keith

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps you tried printing out of the printing area...? :)

Seriously:

- which slicer, which firmware version?

- what differs? is at all the same file/model?

- did you changed something? Perhaps a wrong printer profile in the slicer?

- perhaps a damaged gcode file (have you checked the file with a gcode viewer?)

Sorry this may be trying to teach your mother to suck eggs but if you are a slicing in Cura then the model will be coloured Yellow if it is located within the dimensions of the bed and coloured Grey/Blue if part of it is outside of those dimensions

Hi thanks for replying.

I'd upgrading to Cura 15.06 but have now gone back to 15.04.3. Even using an old gcode file that l know worked this now gives the same error. I've checked the code using the gcode viewer and as far as l can tell everything appears normal, and yes in cura the model is yellow and well within the bed parameters.

Perhaps you tried printing out of the printing area...? :)

Seriously:

- which slicer, which firmware version?

- what differs? is at all the same file/model?

- did you changed something? Perhaps a wrong printer profile in the slicer?

- perhaps a damaged gcode file (have you checked the file with a gcode viewer?)

Still having the same problem. Have uninstalled Cura, re-installed Cura 15.04, updated firmware on Ultimaker 2, created a small block in Solidworks, Sliced in Cura 15.04, transferred to printer but part way through printing still gives the error message: "Error: Tried printing out of printing area" and the head moves to the left and then the home position. Tried printing again and at a different point the same error occurs.

Any help please

I suggest uploading a sample gcode file in which you observed this error, since by updating the firmware you have eliminated any custom settings that might have caused this. At this point, given the information you have supplied, the next logical step would seem to eliminate any gcode errors.

Posted (edited) · Error Tried printing out of printing area

I do not own an Ultimaker 2. But you can load on your machine FAILSAFE setting and SAVE it. Then try to move manually on each X,Y,Z axis then AUTO HOME it. Then try recalibrate or bed leveling process. When everything works like it should search problem with your Cura Settings.

good luck

Edited by Guest

Hi Danilius, I've just uploaded a sample piece of gcode which as a said before the first time l printed it got through about 80% before crashing, tried again and it crashed about 20% through. Doesn't seem to be consistent where it crashes.

Thanks

gcode link

Doesn't seem to be consistent where it crashes.

Another idea: an incorrect read operation from the sd card can also lead to weird commands.

You could try to use a different sd card (preferably a different brand).

• Like 1

i had the same lately and had the feeling, that its the skirt which is outside the printarea. is it possible, that only the model is checked by cura?

i had the same lately and had the feeling, that its the skirt which is outside the printarea. is it possible, that only the model is checked by cura?

Hi avogra, since l've had this problem l've tried all sorts of prints including 25 x 25 x10 blocks with still the same problems. Going to try tinkergnome idea of a new sd card. I've also cleaned all the guide rods and re-oiled in case they were sticking and affecting the stepper motors.

Keith

Well touch wood, have tried using a new sd card and so far today have printed 5 designs with no problems. Thanks to everybody for your suggestions especially tinkergnome.

hello have you some problems again? i have the same at this time and i have no problems vhen i use it in USB directely

thanks

what have you choose in SD card? brand?

thanks

hello do you have this problem again??

what sd card have you use please? thanks

Hi there!

Happened the same to me today.

Uploaded the printer software but it still didn't want to work. Only after formatting the SD card (no need to buy a new one!), copied back the .gcode in it and worked perfectly fain.

Cheers,

I am pretty sure that Cura includes the skirt when doing this (i.e. from personal experience but it was a long time ago...)

I've had the same error with @tinkergnome's firmware. I've checked the .gcode (went through layer by layer) and it looks fine.

My sd card is pretty old though. So the general consensus might be that it is the sd card's fault. I'll try a new one and report back.

Hi everyone,

I have built an aluminium ultimaker 2 extended during the past few months.

I have followed the instruction of "jasonatepaint" who create this model

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271

My settings are:

Slicer cura 15.04.4.

Firmware: thinkergnome v16.08.1

So everything work well so far, but I have randomly the error "tryed to printing out of the area".Sometime there is no error display on the screen but during the print the head do weird deplacements in the air and go back to the print. 5a3322ef43625_20161022_1809301.thumb.jpg.fd633d6d74da09e8621b3e8cc466f04c.jpg. It ruins all the print . I tried to use different sd card but, the problem did not disappear... I have checked the gcode on repetier host and I did'nt see any problems.

It's very frustrating because you don't know if your print ll succed when you start it ...  

If anyone have an idea about this issue ?

Thanks

Jérémy

5a3322ef43625_20161022_1809301.thumb.jpg.fd633d6d74da09e8621b3e8cc466f04c.jpg

Edited by Guest

Hi everyone,

I have built an aluminium ultimaker 2 extended during the past few months.

I have followed the instruction of "jasonatepaint" who create this model

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:811271

My settings are:

Slicer cura 15.04.4.

Firmware: thinkergnome v16.08.1

So everything work well so far, but I have randomly the error "tryed to printing out of the area".Sometime there is no error display on the screen but during the print the head do weird deplacements in the air and go back to the print. 5a3322ef43625_20161022_1809301.thumb.jpg.fd633d6d74da09e8621b3e8cc466f04c.jpg. It ruins all the print . I tried to use different sd card but, the problem did not disappear... I have checked the gcode on repetier host and I did'nt see any problems.

It's very frustrating because don't know if your print ll succed when you start it ...

If anyone have an idea about this issue ?

Thanks

Jérémy

Maybe you have a firmware with a smaller max z print area

I have checked the print area settings:

X: 0.00mm-230mm

Y: 5.00mm-230mm

Z: 330mm

I don't see anything wrong.

Anybody have an idea about this isssue ?

I printed the same file sliced with the same cura settings on my old prusa I3 and everything was fine.

I tried several SD cards (HC and regular formated in FAT 32) put the problem happen randomly with all of them.

I thought about maybe a problem of overheat of the board. My 30 mm fan is maybe not enought.

I'm kind of lost ^^

I have the same problem ((((16.08.2

Сura 2.3.0

Cooling on the board there.

Edited by Guest

What do you mean by "cooling on the board there" ?

I have the same issue sometimes. At least I can confirm that it is not related to the .gcode file since it does not always happen with the same file.

Good hint about the board overheating. Might as well just be enough to take the cover off.