Error Tried printing out of printing area

keith-hobley

Posted · Error Tried printing out of printing area

For me it is getting worse and worse. From three prints today, two failed with the same error.

How did you put the display cables apart? They are pretty close on my machine and I'd have to pull apart the shrink tubing to separate them.

IMG_7294.thumb.JPG.80603a6346da4a42f85793844b94a378.JPG

I've put a ferrite core on the left cable but this had no effect - another failed print :(

IMG_7294.thumb.JPG.80603a6346da4a42f85793844b94a378.JPG

• Replies 61
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've cut the shrinking tube and the mesh cover (carefully with scissors), seperated the cables so that they are running in parallel (not on top of each other; 'bout 2cm apart from each other) and fixated them on the bottom plate with gaffa.

printer is running, so i can not take a photo at the moment.

...and to the bad news unfortunately:

I'm in an 17hour print, and 5 minutes ago I had a single random travel to X0 again (print continues, but surface isn't perfect anymore and again I lost trust and I'm babysitting the rest of the print-time)

:(

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Error Tried printing out of printing area

so, I'm glad now, that I was babysitting the printer...

UM220161220_231115.thumb.jpg.b2cb65b6c0287fa1813af309ba60bddd.jpg

suddenly (i assume) there was a Z=0-movement - I've hit the power switch a millisecond before my glass plate was shredded.

I've printed this model maybe 50 times (this specific gcode maybe 10 times), with no issues other than the Heater Error (which is why I changed to TinkerGnome's Firmware for the PID-Settings [alternative Fan-Shrouds] )

regarding the ribbon cable placement see this photo

UM2_ribbon_20161220_232010.thumb.jpg.62ac74a3ed6749ddec5454d786c88818.jpg

I can NOT recommend to seperate these 2 ribbon-cables to fix the issue of unpredictable movements on TinkerGnome's Firmware V16.08.02

Maybe @tinkergnome could set up an experimental branch of his FW with the old SD-Library for testing, because this was the suspicious part in other threads than this one?

UM220161220_231115.thumb.jpg.b2cb65b6c0287fa1813af309ba60bddd.jpg

UM2_ribbon_20161220_232010.thumb.jpg.62ac74a3ed6749ddec5454d786c88818.jpg

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1

Thi issue is pretty interesting. Yesterday I had three more failed prints. Then I decided to test the serial cable (it is fine). When putting things back together, I reversed the cable, meaning I just connected the end that was attached to the board, to the display board and vice versa. I have now roughly 9h with three prints and there are no failures.

@tinkergnome: Thank you for your effort. It is greatly appreciated!

I FIXED IT.  This problem (out of printing erea) got very serious the last few weeks.  Here are the details:

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/39322-error-tried-printing-out-of-printing-area-solved

That wasn't my issue, but A version of the problem.

I think it's safe to say the error is misreading from SD-cards.

Mine was fixed by formatting my SD card using https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ which is free for use. I just did a Quick format and put in auto correction of size.

• Like 1

Was this problem really ever solved? I've read through all 3 pages and I'm dealing with the exact same issue. I've tried a new SD card, separating the ribbon cables if there was indeed crosstalk. I'm using TinkerGnome 16.01ex.

I can't print anything without failure. Pretty desperate to get this solved. Any help?

Same problem here. The past few days I always get "Trying to print out of printing area". I have two different kinds of SD cards and the problem occured with both.

I had a similar issue with the original UM2 firmware. There the printhead just stopped randomly while printing whitout any message on the display. Since I have TinkeGnome the result is the same but the printhead moves to start and the error message is displaied.

I didn't seperate the cables yet. Only thing I did so far was checking the SD card slot. It seems to be perfectly clean. It is very frustrating as there is no sulotion to this problem yet! Any help is appriciated!

Well I'm starting to get these again. I rarely use my UM2 now because of this but eventually I will have to fix this.

I'm thinking of swapping the display board between 2 of my printers and seeing if the problem moves or stays. I'll put that on my todo list right now - it should happen by the fall. For now though I have 5 printers and having one "down" is annoying but I can get by. I use my um2go the most! I love that little guy.

I wanted to let you know I think I've solved my issues. Here is what I've done.

• I have no cover installed over my main board electronics (not sure if this is part of it though).

• I recently had changed my ribbon cables and secured them away from each other. However they were longer than the original ones.

• I decided to cut my ribbon cables to the length shown in the Ultimaker Master files. With that change I noticed the issue wasn't as bad. Maybe I was on to something.

• I have 2 SD card readers, one conveniently on my office desk and another that I have to reach over to plug into my PC. One I purchased from China Aliexpress and the other locally.

• I decided I'd try shielding my ribbon cables, so I wrapped them with aluminum foil and taped it in place. This led to the printer producing a 100% print.

• I attempted to repeat this success and loaded another file to my SD card from my Aliexpress SD card reader. The print failed. Upon returning the SD card to the PC, Windows 10 report an error with the card and recommended repairing it. I did that. Reloaded the SD card, again using the Aliexpress SD card reader. Back to the printer and it failed in exactly the same spot the previous print had.

• Next I formatted the SD card and instead used the locally bought SD card reader. Wrote a file to the card and proceeded to print again. Success! Another 100% print!

• I have know determined that I have cured multiple issues.

1. The ribbon cables for some reason needed shielding.

2. The Aliexpress SD card reader corrupted the Gcode.