Self sourced moded UMO+ (first build)

Rudy102

Posted · Self sourced moded UMO+ (first build)

Hello to You all,

Im new to this forum, so sorry for all the mistakes. Also, sorry for my English, Im not a native speaker also..

After two years of fun with self sourced repraps, I have decided to build my own Ultimaker.  After some research I have decided to build UMO +. In my opinion it's almost identical to UM2, but it's hard to find 6mm Dibond in my country (the price is killing). Also, laser cutted option was easier and cheaper, with similar quality.

Right now Im collecting all the needed parts. I have decided to use in my build Igus linear system- rods and bushings,  nice 0.6Nm 42mm motors, GT2 belts, 12mm ball screw for Z axis and UM2 dual extrusion print head.

And motherboard is where I have problem now..

At the start I was planing to buy UM2 motherboard with oled display from Aliexpress for 140usd.  But right now I have just found the Replicape + beagle bone black for 149usd.  

The UM2 board is nice, but the Aliexpress ones are not the original boards, and the Replicape with BBB is original one for almost the same price. Unfortunately I can't find much about the Replicape. Have annyone tried it and can tell me something more? Will it be a good option to use in my  UMO+?

Im not planing to spend more than +/- 150usd for motherboard.

I'd like to hear anny comments from You guys.

Thank you, Kris

I think what you need tonknow before going one board it's "what heat sensor you are going to use?"

Smothieboard it's also a good option. But if you are going to use pt100 sensors, you might need a um2.1 board since Replicape or smothie don't read the sensors by default and would need great modding.

Thanks for the answer Neotko,

Since I wanted the UM2 head I was going to use pt100 sensors and buy um2.1 board from aliexpress. I started to think about replicape, because it looks nice, but there is not much infromation about it used in printers, so I'll probably stay with the um2.1 board.