Die Baby Die, the death of the old extruder

ian

Posted · Die Baby Die, the death of the old extruder

I for one say a big thank god for the end or may i say death sentence to the old extruder on the ultimaker.

From two well setup ultimakers, one at home and one in the office, I have lost maybe 50 percent of all my long time prints from jamming, grinding and slipping of 3mm PLA filament in the extrude.

I have wasted the last 3 full days print time, because 4 hours after I went to bed, the vibration or the varying diameter of the filament, shook or pushed out my thumb screw and so lost all contact with the knurled drive bolt.

ending in me finding every day, A fantastic half model and a also fantastic.... nothing.........

all i can say is thank god for the new and improved extruder upgrade.

I am counting the seconds until I can put it on, click print and go to sleep... knowing i will wake up to my printed object...... ahhhhhhh heaven.

Thank you ultimaker team for actually doing things that really matter !!!!

now onto a heated bed !! hop hop !! ;-)

Ian

And let's not forget to thank Bertho for coming up with the design in the first place! I only recently printed out his upgrade but haven't had much printing time with it yet as I need to get a better spring for it (like an idiot I cut the spring I had because I thought it would be too stiff...).

all credit is due entirely to Bertho for this excellent upgrade. not that the old system ever gave me any known problems but it also gave me little confidence it could handle filament variation.

be sure to pay homage to the right people ;)

i confess to being surprised it gave you as much trouble as it did and to your optimism that all your prints will now be perfect also ;)

to be honest. i dont have any clogging or popping out of the my PTFE any more.. so that problem in my book is solved.

i have a well leveled print platform, so ok.

my only remaining problem was... that both my printers suffered from the extruder and normally from two different reasons.

(1) vibration after about 15 hours of printing would shake the thum screw out of place and cause the traction between knurl bolt and filament to be lost.

(2) with changes in filament diameter, the knurl just grinded beautiful wholes in my filament and also shot the projects into the toilet !

so thats why im delighted to see a improved upgrade to this problem.

so i know all my results wont be perfect of course... but the ultimaker team are really marching in the right direction now.... :-)

Finally to Betho.............. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!!!

Fantastic work and thank you for your fantastic help and contribution !!!

Ian :D:D

cool I received my new extruder yesterday in the post.

really cool. posted last week thursday or friday and on my door monday morning in Leipzig.

Very cool. Cant wait to test it this evening... :-)

Ian :D:D

one little question.

on the baggy, there is a ultimaker sticker.. on the right is the words QUALITY CONTROLLED and two boxes underneath.

On my paggy, the left box had a plus tick and in the right box was a big angry X,

Does that mean some thing failed the qualty control ? and was still posted to me ??

Ian

hi Ian,

I assume someone used the X as a mark.

If it is marked, it is checked. I don't see a reason why someone would look at the package, mark it as not checked and still sent it out.

So no worries and enjoy your new feeder mechanism! :)

here is the bag.

Ian

thanks Sander !

Ian :D

that means it's no good - you should send it to me Ian ;)

im guessing they have 2 ppl do the inspection.

also guessing that an v or x does mean that it passed its inspection.

everyone have a different "mark of approval" when doing inspection of multiple items.

that means it's no good - you should send it to me Ian ;)

yeah i think your right !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im guessing they have 2 ppl do the inspection.

also guessing that an v or x does mean that it passed its inspection.

everyone have a different "mark of approval" when doing inspection of multiple items.

i think its a little confusing having a correct tick and then a big cross beside one another.

is it just me or does that send the message, that some things were all ok, and some not ?

but it doesnt matter... i have my new extruder and am going home in 2 hours and building it.

yippppeee.

I should have known they'd release something. They always do right after I order!! Same thing happened when I ordered the Ulticontroller, soon as it was out the door the new knurled bolt came out.

Not blaming Ultimaker crew; this is typical bad luck for me. But if anyone wants them to release something new, let me know and I'll put in an order. :lol:

No, you got it wrong - it just means, that you need to order more frequent, thereby speeding up the release cycles at Ultimaker Ltd. :D

Just imagine, with just 2 orders from you a month, we would get over 20 improvements a year! Mindboggling!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

i think you might just get some orders that way ! :-)

question is, whats coming next.....

official hot bed ?

multi headed printer ?

maybe the use of the new ardeino board that came out this week ?

those guys are cooking up some thing new in their big dark castle... i wonder what.... ???

WOHAAAAAAAAAAA :lol: :lol: :lol:

I briefly spoke with the UM guys at their booth at the London 3d Printer show and they told me that they are working on a heated bed now, but it sounds like it might be still be quite a ways off. They're apparently still evaluating different potential designs but it does sound like an official UM Heated Build Platform is at least on the way.

Cheers,

Troy.

No, you got it wrong - it just means, that you need to order more frequent, thereby speeding up the release cycles at Ultimaker Ltd. :D

Just imagine, with just 2 orders from you a month, we would get over 20 improvements a year! Mindboggling!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great idea! Except I'd basically have to give my house to DHL for what the shipping costs! :D If they had a north american distributor I could make that happen though!

And @ Ian & Troy: I would be very eager for a heated bed!

I hope for a robot arm - just imagine the possibilities with that... it could hold an extruder and work as a 3d Printer, a drill or a router... even a kitchen knife to chop vegetables :-)

I mean, they already got the robot as mascot... :p

No need to wait on robot arms :D

http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=inmoov&sa=Search

a heated bed is desperately needed. let's hope it's done properly.

is a heated bed so so complex ?

headted bed onto the exisiting wood platform with some room for saftey, connected to the Board, extra external power supply.....

A lot of people have built this but all with different solutions and different results..

ultimaker needs to sit down, say this is the most reliable system that will work with all existing ultimaker, make it... sell it.

then we have a ultimaker that has a reliable print head, a reliable extruder (thanks to Bertho) and then......

a heated print base....

that would be a big big improvement and ultimaker have to do these things.. so they can compete against makerbot and the thousands of other little companies that want to get into this business now..

Ian

A heated printbed itself is not so complicated, but from Ultimaking Ltd perspective it's something you have to get right. Firstly, you have the safety issue to worry about. But additionally, how to actually design it as a retrofit that anyone can adapt without problems. It has to be step-by-step with no drilling, cutting, or significant modification of the chassis and it needs to be easily installable by anyone without any electronics or advanced mechanical skills. There's the question of a power supply - running it off of mains means that users need to correctly wire mains wiring (and probably a relay) which is very dangerous for the inexperienced. It also means that they need to support multiple line voltages around the world. Plus, the end result would have an extra cord and that's not something you want from a commercial product. The other alternative is a single PSU. However, for that to be absolutely reliable they would need to change some things on the electronics like the switch (which has always been under-rated and would certainly overload) and the regulators. Then they would need to actually find a suitable psu that can be provided in an enclose (without having to wire the cord on yourself). Most suitable PSUs are designed to sit inside product enclosures and be wired directly into a device. Integrating a PSU into the chassis would require moving the electronics board and thus changing the whole bottom of the chassis.

Basically, if a person is going to attempt a home-brew heated bed then they are likely to know what they are doing with the wiring and would be willing to put up with the inconvenience of a second cord, two power supplies, or the unreliability of the electronics with a single higher power PSU. And they take all of the fire, and electrocution risks on themselves, but these sacrifices are not acceptable for an 'official' retrofit.

I think it will be a long time before we see an official heated bed option for the Ultimaker, and in fact I'm not sure if it's event reasonable for them to offer a retrofit for existing machines.... It may be better to re redesign the machine and release an Ultimaker 2.

Cheers,

Troy.

I saw a design for a machined aluminium printbed - basically it was the acryl glass that is currently in the Ultimaker, but made from aluminium (same thickness, same holes for mounting) - and on the lower side a heating element. So that would be a "swappable heated printbed".

Combined with a nice PSU and cabling with connectors, it wouldn't be _that_ much of a hassle. But it would be rather costly, as you need a second or a new PSU (maybe 50-80€) and the machined bed (same price?) - plus some cabling etc. bringing that price in the 150-200€ range (excluding tax and shipping?).

Troy is spot on there and that prediction may turn true.

Fuchs' idea is much like mine as an ideal HPB, but the cost and availability are the issue, that's before we even address safety concerns.

on the other side of this whole idea....

this week i saw for the first time, people printing with wood filament...

one really interesting thing was, they all said that as a print material, they were finding no bending on the base ??

i think thats really interesting.

We could actually see new printing material that solves the bending issue before the complex idea of a heated bed even comes out the door ?

maybe ?