has anybody experiences with selfmade wood filled filaments?

janedoe92

Posted · has anybody experiences with selfmade wood filled filaments?

hello,

i'm new here and hope i'm posting my question in the right category.

has anybody made any experiences with extruding and / or printing selfmade wood filled filaments? i'd like to recycle wood-plastic composite materials, which contain about 75% wood and 25% PE, but the ratio might be alterable. (i think down to 50 / 50)

in general, for my experiments, i can use any kind of plastic and wood particles, but i need to know if i just can stuff these materials in an extruder and will get a printable filament.

can you recommend a plastic material which is suitable for that?

would it work with PE or with already mixed, recycled WPC materials? is it possible to print that with the ultimaker? what kind of extruder can you recommend?

the plan is to buy (or build) an extruder, i have access to severeal 3D printers, but first i need to know if my thoughts make sense, if this idea ist generally possible?

looking forward to your answers,

best regards,

elisa

:)

Posted · has anybody experiences with selfmade wood filled filaments?

Hi Elisa,

I believe Colorfabb uses PLA as a binding material for their woodfill and their ration is 70% plastic 30% wood. It can be a tricky material to use, let alone produce it.

What you should look out for is the wood fibers not being to big, so they won't fit through the nozzle. I don't know what kind of wood you are planning on using, but I can imagine if it has additives like glue that won't benefit the quality.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 16 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies