Olsson block and error

ffreak

Posted · Olsson block and error

yo, thx for your reply.

As I inspected my frans several times: no fran shroud touches the block.

Tomorrow I will reinstall the block.

But I cannot understand that printing PLA = perfect with block, printing with HIPS = error.

In the dutch community somebody told me I need a 35W heater to solve the problem.

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/18820-olsson-block-en-foutmelding?page=unread#unread

ffreak

don't know if this will help as I don't print with hips but I do use Olson block and suggest it might be the way you have your fan settings I know that if you put the fans on at 100% you can get that error. I use a 35w heater but I always bring the fans on slowly starting at 40% and increase gradually..

hope this helps

yo Bob-Hepple,

thank you for the reply.

I 've put the fans completely off. So this might not be the reason.

Printing PLA was no problem but trying to print HIPS at higher temp resulted in error messages.

Today I've contacted the seller and he told me that the error might occur when having the Olsson block installed. He will send me a 35W heater.

ffreak

yes I would go down that route too Like I said I installed a 35w heater as a precaution after reading some threads on this. Good luck.

Received the heater today, installing tomorrow.

At first sight, as clumsy as I am: the heater has two bare ends .... how the fxxx do I install this?

The replacement of the sensor was rather easy with the 'plug' at the end ....

Oh boy ...

The um2 assembly manual will help you ;)

Tape the end of the wires from the new heater to the element end of the old heater and pull the old one out. just guide the new one in as your pulling the old one out so the tape doesn't pull off or get caught.

You may need to remove the clips that hold the bowden tube on.

Use your old one as a draw string as per Laberns comment. Be carful though the fans have connectors in line. It's all fun when you get to the circuit board side I ended up stripping tha board out (you don't have any choice) good luck

The um2 assembly manual will help you ;)

thx, I'll have a look

Tape the end of the wires from the new heater to the element end of the old heater and pull the old one out. just guide the new one in as your pulling the old one out so the tape doesn't pull off or get caught.

You may need to remove the clips that hold the bowden tube on.

It's almost the same as replacing the sensor? right?

that's my biggest concern: I don't really know yet which wires I have to remove on my board.

Maybe tomorrow everything will become more clear when visiting the board.

When I replaced the sensor, this sensor had a 'plug system' to attack to the board. The heater only has two strips ...

And knowing that the new UM2+ has Olsson included with 35W heater ... my UM2 is only 4 weeks old ...

Dont panic the 35w heater has two wires these are connected to the screw terminal on the PCB Board that is why you have to loosen the board

5a3316050d7a3_Circuitboard.thumb.JPG.b068d24d60b30cc28dd0e91034137ecc.JPG

it's not that bad todo I had to do it twice as my Olson Block was Faulty and couldn't get the pt100 back out.

Hang in there its worth the effort.

5a3316050d7a3_Circuitboard.thumb.JPG.b068d24d60b30cc28dd0e91034137ecc.JPG

yep Bob-hepple,

Nervous as I am: I removed the cover from the board.

I see the 'connection' for my heater: heater 1

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5Cw6Ud9eoUlZ21fQlUzVkxLVmc/view?usp=sharing.

Do I have to remove the 4 screws also to set de board apart?

Because I cannot really see how to attach the new heaterwires to the board ...

yes remove the board to have an easy access

yes remove the board to have an easy access

thx, done

Can I ask you something? As I know nothing or very less about wires: It doesn't matter which wire I connect in which hole?

No either wire from the heater goes into the screw terminal's

thx for your support. It means a lot to me.

But I aborted the replacement for today.

I really don't know how to change the wires: do I only pull out the old ones out of the wireterminal? or do I have to remove the wireterminal from the plate? And if so: in which direction do I have to remove the wireterminal?

Do I have to unscrew the old wires???????? where are the srews on the wireterminal?

How do I insert the new wires? I don't see any little screws to tighten the new wires onto the terminal ...

I don't know it anymore and I'm afraid to molest my machine ....

I left my UM totally dismantled.

There is a little square on the terminal that you use a small screw driver to push it in. When you push and hold that in you can pull the wire out. It's spring loaded so once you stop pushing it will clamp. Just press it in and insert the new wires.

Make sure it clamps on the wires and not the insulation surrounding the wires.

Give them a slight tug to make sure they are holding then your good to go.

There is a little square on the terminal that you use a small screw driver to push it in. When you push and hold that in you can pull the wire out. It's spring loaded so once you stop pushing it will clamp. Just press it in and insert the new wires.

Make sure it clamps on the wires and not the insulation surrounding the wires.  

Give them a slight tug to make sure they are holding then your good to go.

Thx Labern, I think your tip (as all the tips I've received) will help me a lot with my installation.

Today I don't want to look to my UM: too much frustrated.

Tomorrow is another day ...

• Like 1

Dont ffreak out :p

I have those days 2.

After a bit of tinkering you'll find out its not to bad. Took me a while to start playing around with mine ( I didnt want to touch anything for the first month) Now I'm building my own machine :)

ffreak

as Labern has said the new wires go into the green (on Mine) Terminal Block the board has to be unscrewed as my picture to gain access to the Terminal Block. Unscrew replace with the new wires making sure (as said) you tighten the screw onto the wires not the insulation. My board has screw terminal Laberns has a different type but it aint hard (honest) any problems post a picture if in doubt ask??

Yo everybody who replied to my topic.

Thx a lot for the support you all gave me.

Today: the 35W heater is installed properly and now I can print without any problems.

Without your support I couldn't have it fixed.

THX A LOT!

Now the search may begin for the correct printparameters for my HIPS ...

Another challenge ...

congratulations @ffreak I can still remember how frightened I was at the begining to take things apart, the new heater is a great improvement

good luck